+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Legendary Anime

Otaku Frisbee Throwing Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion Billum256 is off to a good start Billum256's Avatar
    Thanks

The Legendary Anime

Well basically I think that the title of Legendary anime can only be used by one anime at a time. Like how there can only be one Highlander. So while arguing with my girlfriend she stated that Sailor Moon was the Legendary anime. I on the other hand think that the title belongs to the DBZ series.

I say this because that everyone knows DBZ you'd have to live under a rock to not know. Also all of DBZ came out in America. The STARS series of Sailor Monn was a Japan only release so not as much of it was shown in America. My final reasoning is because not many guys that I know of liked Sailor Moon(I persoanlly did), but there were still a good bit of girls who liked DBZ.

So what I'm saying is I want to know what your opinion is on what is THE legendary anime, you can chose others besides these two. Remember there can only be one!(lightning strikes)
    98% of AO members are yaoi or lollicon fans. If you are part of the 2% that are not, copy and paste this into your sig

Sig By Me
    "We're all sinners in the hands of the loving God"

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Legendary Anime

Wow... you guys are kind of lowballing it ^^;

I'm not sure what scenario would require one "supreme" anime... but if it did: I'm pretty sure the title wouldn't go to a couple of mid-90s kids shows designed primarily to market bedsheets and plastic wands *swt*

I guess I'd have to go for "Ribon no Kishi"/"Princess Knight"... for being Tezuka, for pioneering color, being the first title aimed at girls, for having the first trangendered lead, and for creating a template for the swashbuckling "female prince" genre that gave us Rose of Versailles, Utena, and Basara.

Though I suppose good cases can be made for any Tezuka title, any of the "big three" prime time shows (Doraemon, Sazae-san, Chibi Marukochan), just about any Ghibli film, and a handful of incredibly influential late 80s-early 90s films that brought anime to the attention of "the rest of the world"...

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

It depends what the criteria of the selection are. If it's popularity and the power to appeal to people all over the world Dragonball would be a very likely candidate for the title.

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can there only be one legendary anime? And better yet as someone said why is it some low grade anime?

If there can only be one it should not be cheesy anime that people watch only for entertainment with crap for story and meh animation

Newbie Kjølen may be famous one day Kjølen may be famous one day
    Thanks

Tenchi, Ranma, and Urusei Yatsura are definite candidates, simply for having some of the most recognizable characters in anime history. The Dragon Ball series, too, of course. And no one will forget Sailer Moon anytime in the near future.

* The Abh Nation * Ask me about CREST OF THE STARS: A fantasy science fiction anime. *

Otaku kurapika is off to a good start kurapika's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    It depends what the criteria of the selection are. If it's popularity and the power to appeal to people all over the world Dragonball would be a very likely candidate for the title.
    Agreed. Say you picked naruto, that would be a nice candidate because it is very popular. Wheras as If I picked Fullmetal Panic its not such a great canditate because many anime people do not know this anime.
    Agreed if its popularity globally DBZ would be a nice candidate for this title as Hassun said.

So anyway getting to the question of The Legendary Anime.
    Well I dont think One Anime dominates the rest but there are many very good ones.

Some Canditates that in my perspective could be
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Death Note

This anime would probably go second for the specified title
    The melancholy of hahuri Suzumiya

The list of favourites is never ending

great sig by Lasura thanks heaps

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't know about that one...

"Full House" is pretty damn popular too (and one of the few shows that people around the world nearly all recognize)... that doesn't quite elevate it to the level of of classic or influential television milestone.

"Dragonball Z" isn't half as popular ~globally~ as it is in the United States. Popular, yeah... but "Candy, Candy" is just as iconic with older viewers in Japan, parts of Europe and South America while most Americans have never even seen it. Meanwhile "Sailor Moon" is already virtually forgotten even in Japan (except by women in their 20s who grew up with it). Both DB and Sailor Moon are fairly "generation specific" (and to the same generation... though DB is seeing some life with younger kids thanks to strong rerun performance). With the top-heavy age structure in Japan--- the theme song to "TOUCH" gets way more kareoke play than the theme to Dragonball.

Virtually everyone in Asia knows who Doraemon is. I challenge you to find one non-otaku over 40 in any country who can name three Dragonball characters.

But hey... I have no idea what "Legendary" is supposed to mean in this context.

I just know I wouldn't want something like "Sex in the City" to stand as the pinnacle of what my nation can accomplish media-wise.

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

the legendary anime? Gigantor hands down. One of the first animes ever created and still a classic today. Anyone who's anyone knows the Gigantor theme.
    Why hello there!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast