Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Less known animes that you liked

Newbie somechick_73 may be famous one day somechick_73 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Less known animes that you liked

Quote Originally Posted by Karn
    I enjoy anthology/ensemble piece anime such as Memories and Neo Tokyo, both of which have R1 and R2 dvd releases, but there are two I feel don't get enough attention these days: Robot Carnival and The Cockpit.

Robot Carnival is a nine segment anime with a different animator contributing to each piece, the premise being based around robotics (hence title). While sometimes uneven, there isn't a single segment completely lacking value, and there are a few stand-outs that make me wonder why it isn't more renowned.

The Cockpit is probably the lesser mentioned of the two (I think the only reason Robot Carnival isn't as popular as it should be is that it currently lacks a R1 DVD release, but it had a pretty nice R2 release a few years back). In the Cockpit (originally a manga by Leiji Matsumoto), three different stories are told (again, with three different directors, the first segment is by Yoshiaki Kawajiri) about WW2 as seen through the eyes of the "enemy", but it is not a glorification of war . I guess many could dismiss it as propaganda, but any work dealing with war is suspectible to that fate, even the most humanistic of approaches (albeit unfairly).

Both Robot Carnival and The Cockpit are on subtitled VHS. I don't know if any R1 DVD releases are planned.

I just checked out a blurb on Memories, and it mentions that it's done by the creator of Akira, which makes me a little weary to want to watch it, because I saw a movie like Akira called Spriggan, and it was totally not my thing. But to each thier own. It might be totally different than Akira and Spriggan, but, eh, It's really hard to say, I'd have to see a trailer or something probably.

I also looked up Neo-Tokyo, and it didn't say much about it, other than it's 3 short anime films in one. So maybe you can tell us more about it?

I looked up Robot Carnival and it sounds like it might be okay. I found that it's about creations of robots and things according to this little blip. So it might be interesting to see. I think I might wanna check it out.

The cockpit sounds like it's about war, and pilots, and that's really not my thing honestly. But everyone likes different things. So anyone who likes war and things about pilots might wanna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Geneshaft, Betterman, Nazca, Jin-Roh, El Hazard, just to name a few. These animes were cheap when I bought them. Who would of thought I'd enjoy them? Good stuff.
    Geneshaft sounds excellent. It's about evolution and genetic manipulation. I think I want to watch this. Cool that women outnumber men nine to one, but does that mean there's some lesbionic action? Loffles.

Betterman has an awesome coverart for starters. It talks about an undgerground Amusement park and monsters. It sounds like it might be something I'd want to watch.

Nazca is about war, and again, it's really not my thing, but if anyone wants to look it up, they can check it out on anidb.net

I think I saw some of Jin-roh before on like g4tv or something a while back. It looks familiar with the cover. It wasn't really something I liked, but again, if anyone wants to know more they can check it out on anidb.net

I saw some of El Hazard, and it really wasn't my thing honestly, If anyone wants to check it out, again they can go to anidb.net to find out more about it.
    Last edited by somechick_73; Jul 28, 2006 at 05:38 PM.

Otaku Karn may be famous one day Karn may be famous one day Karn's Avatar
    Thanks

I just checked out a blurb on Memories, and it mentions that it's done by the creator of Akira, which makes me a little weary to want to watch it, because I saw a movie like Akira called Spriggan, and it was totally not my thing. But to each thier own. It might be totally different than Akira and Spriggan, but, eh, It's really hard to say, I'd have to see a trailer or something probably.
    Yes, Katsuhiro Otomo (the writer and director of the Akira, and overseer of Spriggan) had a hand in all three segments of Memories and directed one of them, so I'm not sure how much you would like it.

However, I've noticed a lot of people generally enjoy the first segment, "Magnetic Rose", a story about a group of space workers (think Ridley Scott's "Alien") investigating a mysterious run-down space station only to be caught up in a somewhat horrifying love-story dealing with an opera house (scripted by Satoshi Kon of Perfect Blue fame), though, even when they don't care much for the rest of the anthology.

I also looked up Neo-Tokyo, and it didn't say much about it, other than it's 3 short anime films in one. So maybe you can tell us more about it?
    Again, Katsuhiro Otomo writes and directs a segment of Neo-Tokyo (the third segment, "Construction Cancellation Order"), so I'm not sure how much you would like it either. The first (and also last) segment, "Labyrinth Labyrinthos", is directed by Rintaro (Metropolis, Dagger of Kamui), which uses a very unique animation style to create a sort of prologue and epilogue for the other two segments. The story takes a backseat to the visuals, but it basically involves a young girl following her cat "Cicerone" into a strange world involving a clown and circus. The second segment ("The Running Man"), directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Wicked City) is another pure-visual type deal, focusing on a "Death Race" driver who can't stop racing until, well, you get the idea. Otomo's story, "Construction Cancellation Order", is actually the most conventional of the three, but still interesting, dealing with a man sent to halt the progress of a construction site. Unfortunately for him, the robot overseer of the construction has other ideas.

I looked up Robot Carnival and it sounds like it might be okay. I found that it's about creations of robots and things according to this little blip. So it might be interesting to see. I think I might wanna check it out.
    Yes, nine different stories dealing with robots in some form or fashion. Some stories are quite typical of a genre (there is a shoujo type love-story, and also a very shonen action-orientated segment), but others are less conventional. Many segments are silent speaking-wise (such as "Franken's Gears" and "Cloud"), while some have sparse dialogue ("Foreigner Invasion"). "Presence", a stand out, has a good amount of speaking lines though.

The cockpit sounds like it's about war, and pilots, and that's really not my thing honestly. But everyone likes different things. So anyone who likes war and things about pilots might wanna check it out.
    Yes, The Cockpit is indeed about war.

Edit: What kind of anime do you enjoy (for the most part, it could be a big-name anime or whatnot)? If I had a couple examples, I might be able to recommend some lesser-known anime that would fit your criteria. I notice you mention Shadow Skill in your first post. I have seen the first few episodes of it (I need to finish it, but I always forget) and enjoyed it. I especially like the Shadow Skill TV series opening song. I always get the tune stuck in my head.

Newbie mater e stren may be famous one day mater e stren may be famous one day mater e stren's Avatar
    Thanks

A less known anime that I liked survive plant

If it was less known.
    INUYASHA ROCS!!!!!!!!!!

Newbie Crimson Spirit may be famous one day Crimson Spirit may be famous one day Crimson Spirit's Avatar
    Thanks

all of the animes I've seen are known, but I'll look into some of the ones ppl posted after I finish with the ones I'm viewing right now

Newbie somechick_73 may be famous one day somechick_73 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Karn ~ I've enjoyed watching Serial Experiments Lain, Chobits,and eX-Driver. I'm currently watching Hunter x Hunter and am enjoying that also. I also need to finish watching Trigun and Great Teacher Onizuka, which I enjoy very much. One of my favorite anime's of all time is Fatal Fury the Motion picture. However, I also have Legend of the Hungry wolf though it's not as great as the motion picture. That's pretyt much it so far.

Anime I didn't like that I've seen some of: Spriggan, Vampire Hunter D, Naruto, Inuyasha, Big O, Gundam, Gundam Wing...I think that's it, but there's a lot of anime that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Some of the titles I have checked out recently are alright.

AirMaster
    Fist of the North star
    Planetes
    Peacemaker

Otaku Karn may be famous one day Karn may be famous one day Karn's Avatar
    Thanks

Karn ~ I've enjoyed watching Serial Experiments Lain
    If you liked Lain, you might want to check out Boogiepop Phantom if you haven't already, though it isn't exactly a lesser known title.

For a kind of overlooked title that also has a somewhat similar vibe to Lain, I'd go with Key the Metal Idol (a favorite of mine). In fact, the Key anime predates Lain by a few years. The basic premise is about a robot girl who needs to make 30,000 friends to become human, but of course it gets a lot more complex than that.

I'm currently watching Hunter x Hunter and am enjoying that also.
    Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorite of the higher-episode-count action/adventure shonen anime out there. Honestly, I can't think of anything similar right now that isn't fairly well known (Yu Yu Hakusho, Togashi's earlier series, is very well known and all) or better.

One of my favorite anime's of all time is Fatal Fury the Motion picture.
    That was the very first DVD I ever bought. I'm a big SNK fan, so I enjoyed all the character cameos. You could probably check out some more Masami Obari stuff.
    Last edited by Karn; Jul 29, 2006 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

??*Everyone Here Hates Me??* Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa may be famous one day Zackraa's Avatar
    Thanks

We do not allow list thread on AO

-closing-

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4