Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good, obscure anime

Newbie Ghostrider may be famous one day Ghostrider may be famous one day
    Thanks

Looking for good, obscure anime

I'm looking for some good reconmendation for Anime. I've already looked through some of the other reconmendation threads, and the review section, and have already looked into some of those titles. I'm looking for some good anime, that's not excessivley mainstream in the U.S. (i.e. anything that's played on cartoon network, or has alot of fanhype), as I've probably already seen it or am planning on looking into it soon.

I am looking for anime in either series, ova, or movies. I prefer shorter series gennerally less than 30 episodes, but if it's good it doesn't matter. Good artwork is a must, and must have an engaging story arc and good character development. It really doesn't matter what gendre it is, as I'm pretty open.

Some of my fav anime includes, but by no means is limited to

Ninja Scoll
    Akira
    Ghost in the Shell (the orginal movie, not to big a fan of the S.A.C)
    Beserk
    Full Metal Panic
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Death Note
    Naruto
    Samurai 7
    Record of the Lodoss War
    Elfen Lied
    Iria
    Gunbusters
    Appleseed (both old and new, though the old one was better )

Like I said this is just a small sample of movies that I enjoy, but anything you have I'm more than willing to watch, or watch again

Otaku TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Looking for good, obsucure anime

Silent Mobius is a pretty good series. I have not seen the old version, but the new version is pretty good. It's about theses women who fight beings called Lucifer Hawks.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Looking for good, obscure anime

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Sounds like you might like the more adult oriented Anime series...

You should try some of the straight Cyberpunk series, such as...
    'Key the Metal Idol': The dark Pinocchio tale of a young girl android, and her quest to become human by making 30,000 new friends...
    'Serial Experiment Lain'. A pure Cyberpunk plot that questions the meaning of reality vs. the wired.
    'Texhnolyze' another pure Cyberpunk story about life, death, and destiny in an crumbling underground society
    and 'Ergo Proxy' the latest Cyberpunk series currently in release by GENEON USA.

There are also the related Psychological dramas such as
    'Neon Genesis Evangelion' (a must see for any serious anime fan)
    'RahXephon' (the first EVA clone that was better then EVA)
    the tragic romance of 'Saikano' (you could almost call this a shoujo version of EVA...)
    and director Satoshi Kon's first anime film, 'Perfect Blue' about a jpop singer turned actress descent into insanity...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Lain, and Ergo Proxy were on my list, so I'll check out the other recs too. I do love the adult orientated anime, but still willing to watch the younger orientated anime as long as it's good. But by all means any other recs are welcome, we have a weekly animine night, and we're running out of anime

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

My picks:

Requiem from the Darkness--Very adult themes and an interesting animation style, almost like watching a comic book.

The Devil Lady--Dark and violent, the plot is somewhat convoluted but gets you hooked almost immediately.

Gungrave--Love, betrayal, and the undead. What more could you want?

Otaku ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives's Avatar
    Thanks

I recommend the Galaxy Express films(GE999,Adieu GE999), the Harlock sagas, Metropolis, Robot Hunter Casshan, 8man After, Macross-Macross Plus, Crying Freeman, Memories(three shorts by different directors), and more but I cant think of anymore Anyway these are all really really good in my opinion and it would take me longer than Id want to spend on it to briefly describe them, but if you havent seen them check them out. You wont be dissappointed

Thanks

Well to kind to keep a raoming list of my intrest in my anime, I figured I'd post weather or not I've seen any anime I've seen (or atleast remember seeing) hopefully this will keep providing insight as to other good anime.

Gungrave-Is an awesome anime, and I can't figure out for the life of me why I didn't include that in my orginal post
    RahXephon-Seen it and wasn't too terribly impressed w/ it, though to be fair we only watched the movie i think
    Requiem from the Darkness- I KNOW I've seen, but can't remember it too well, so I will probably have to watch it again, but from what I remember, it was pretty good
    Metropolis-wasn't exactly my cup of tea

And I must say, I am grateful for netflix since most of your recs are available &#37

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

You should probably watch the series raxhephon before you bash it. It's kinda like evangelion, but different as well. It is an okay series if you like mechs and has a really good story in my opinion. If you like samurai shows, like samurai seven, you can watch rurouni kenhin even though it has a little more humor in it, it still has good fight scenes. Plus you could watch the samurai x trust and betrayal ova, the only good ova for rurouni kenshin in my opinion.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast