+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for medieval anime(s)

Otaku rajendran is off to a good start
    Thanks

looking for medieval anime(s)

Aye mates! how's all yer anime series goin?

well i'm here to get some suggestions for new anime series' that i'd like to watch =D

wad i'm looking for now is an anime that is set in medieval times.. if u know wad i mean

the genre can be anything... magic, fantasy, violence, romance... anything..

so if there's any such anime series, please share with me =D
    all that u know of =D

btw.. to any moderators reading this thread... i've a suggestion: make a thread with a poll for us animeonline members to vote for our most favourite anime of the year and also discuss about how good the anime series are =D

there arent threads for EVERY anime series so this kinda thread would serve as a advertising for those less popular yet good anime series that many people overlook

Newbie tigmig is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: looking for medieval anime(s)

medieval times .... not sure what it really mean but try these if you did not already seen them
    Claymore
    Guin Saga
    Blade of the Immortal
    Basilisk
    Examurai Sengoku
    Samurai Champloo
    Kurozuka ( maybe not that medieval but sword swinging crazy stuff )
    Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
    Samurai Deeper Kyo ( some what medieval i guess ... lol )

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by tigmig View Post
    medieval times .... not sure what it really mean but try these if you did not already seen them
    Claymore
    Guin Saga
    Blade of the Immortal
    Basilisk
    Examurai Sengoku
    Samurai Champloo
    Kurozuka ( maybe not that medieval but sword swinging crazy stuff )
    Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
    Samurai Deeper Kyo ( some what medieval i guess ... lol )
    To quote the Forum Rules...
    Simply posting a name/title and declaring it's your favourite is nothing more than a list post. List posts are still not allowed. That is, posts that comprise of no explanation as to why you chose a certain favourite.
    If you going to make a recommendation, you're going to have to explain why you recommend it compared to all the other series that are out there...

Now if you want 'Medieval' Swords and Sorcery type series, you should make a distinction between serious series, vs. comedy series...

As far as comedy series goes, the most famous comedy franchise of the 19902 would be 'Slayers', staring Lina Inverse, one of the more famous characters in all of anime, with 3 TV seasons, a prequel OVA, and numerous prequel theatrical movie releases. This series was also recently revived with a 4th TV series ('Slayers Revolution') continued by a 5th TV series, both of which are licensed for US distribution early next year.

As far as serious series goes, 'Record of Lodoss Wars' a OVA, continued with a TV series (and a sequel Movie/OVA called 'Legend of Crystania') still the best implemented, based on a licensed D&D novel series published in Japan. However, this series is now long out of print, and is difficult to find...

Another serious series to look foward to, is 'Spice & Wolf' coming out in Region 1 distribution from FUNimation at the end of the year. Instead of concentrating on the combat aspects of Swords & Sorcery, this series concentrates on the operations of merchants and religious sects, when a young up and coming merchant operator rescues an ancient wolf spirit from imprisonment at a local rural village, and join forces with here...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

rajendran, I think you'll need to specify which middle ages you're talking about. (I'm guessing you're talking about the medieval Europe-type stories.)

Newbie tigmig is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

If you going to make a recommendation, you're going to have to explain why you recommend it compared to all the other series that are out there...

Now if you want 'Medieval' Swords and Sorcery type series, you should make a distinction between serious series, vs. comedy series...

As far as comedy series goes, the most famous comedy franchise of the 19902 would be 'Slayers', staring Lina Inverse, one of the more famous characters in all of anime, with 3 TV seasons, a prequel OVA, and numerous prequel theatrical movie releases. This series was also recently revived with a 4th TV series ('Slayers Revolution') continued by a 5th TV series, both of which are licensed for US distribution early next year.

As far as serious series goes, 'Record of Lodoss Wars' a OVA, continued with a TV series (and a sequel Movie/OVA called 'Legend of Crystania') still the best implemented, based on a licensed D&D novel series published in Japan. However, this series is now long out of print, and is difficult to find...

Another serious series to look foward to, is 'Spice & Wolf' coming out in Region 1 distribution from FUNimation at the end of the year. Instead of concentrating on the combat aspects of Swords & Sorcery, this series concentrates on the operations of merchants and religious sects, when a young up and coming merchant operator rescues an ancient wolf spirit from imprisonment at a local rural village, and join forces with here...
    well , i did make a list but this list is an answer to is question about Medieval series some what so , there not my favorites and stuff plus the explaination of the list is really simple = it's what he is looking for ....

any way this forum is way to American for me , see yea

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Le Chevalier D'Eon, is set sort of in the medieval period, sort of. Amon saga is also set in teh medieval period.

Otaku Tula is off to a good start Tula's Avatar
    Thanks

Let's see what everyone else didn't post. . . .

Rurouni Kenshin - action, good plot. Not a lot of blood but it makes up for it.
    Inuyasha - it goes back and forth between the present and medieval time period. Deifnitely fantasy
    Record of Lodoss War - this is what the first world war looked like
    Escaflowne - one of my favorite mecha-like anime ever.
    Berserk - action
    Bastard - action
    Legend of Himiko
    Soul Hunter - I think I'm premedieval but it's up your alley
    Orphen - not quite medieval but it has the elements of the medieval time period and magic
    Twelve Kingdoms
    Star Ocean Ex - past meets present. Think InuYasha except much much shorter
    Hakkenden -
    Scrapped Princess - action, adventure, perfect

Good luck finding something good
    Last edited by Tula; Jun 15, 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: the thread wasn't asking for favorite anime but err. . . whatever

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble... Ahem... Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Tula View Post
    Let's see what everyone else didn't post. . . .

Rurouni Kenshin
    Inuyasha
    Record of Lodoss War
    Escaflowne
    Berserk
    Bastard
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Legend of Himiko
    Soul Hunter
    Orphen
    Twelve Kingdoms
    Star Ocean Ex
    Hakkenden
    Scrapped Princess

Good luck finding something good
    Simply posting a name/title and declaring it's your favourite is nothing more than a list post. List posts are still not allowed. That is, posts that comprise of no explanation as to why you chose a certain favourite.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast