+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: looking for medieval anime(s)

Otaku rajendran is off to a good start
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now if you want 'Medieval' Swords and Sorcery type series, you should make a distinction between serious series, vs. comedy series...

As far as comedy series goes, the most famous comedy franchise of the 19902 would be 'Slayers', staring Lina Inverse, one of the more famous characters in all of anime, with 3 TV seasons, a prequel OVA, and numerous prequel theatrical movie releases. This series was also recently revived with a 4th TV series ('Slayers Revolution') continued by a 5th TV series, both of which are licensed for US distribution early next year.

As far as serious series goes, 'Record of Lodoss Wars' a OVA, continued with a TV series (and a sequel Movie/OVA called 'Legend of Crystania') still the best implemented, based on a licensed D&D novel series published in Japan. However, this series is now long out of print, and is difficult to find...

Another serious series to look foward to, is 'Spice & Wolf' coming out in Region 1 distribution from FUNimation at the end of the year. Instead of concentrating on the combat aspects of Swords & Sorcery, this series concentrates on the operations of merchants and religious sects, when a young up and coming merchant operator rescues an ancient wolf spirit from imprisonment at a local rural village, and join forces with here...
    thanks mod i did say i accept any type of series as long as its in the right timeframe =)

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    rajendran, I think you'll need to specify which middle ages you're talking about. (I'm guessing you're talking about the medieval Europe-type stories.)
    oooh... yea that's exactly wad i want... lols sry for my lousy vocabulary =)
    i forgot to add the "Europe-type" to it... but i figured Medieval refers to Europe... and "middle ages" to all other types -_-

lol Mod... this ain't a "favourite anime series" thread or something... they're helping me by giving me recommendations... and that's not a bad thing...

besides u dont expect them to explain each and every series that they wrote in the post right?
    if there's someone u gotta pick on then u should pick on me cuz i'm the one who even created this thread and u shud say that its my fault cuz i didnt ask them to explain...
    dont go around throwing the forums rules on people who're just helping others out
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Jun 18, 2009 at 01:20 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: looking for medieval anime(s)

Grumble Grumble Grumble

On this forum, favorites and recommendation threads are considered one and the same. After all, who would recommend a series that they didn't like.

Simply providing a name, like 'Garzey's Wing' (which by the way, is widely panned as a poor fantasy series) doesn't tell you if its the kind of series that you're looking for, or if its worth using your limited time and purchasing budget to look at, when there may be far superior choices available...

And from past experieces with 'List' threads, they rapidly degrade into pissing contests on who seen or heard the most anime of a genre, without indicating the quality of the recommendation, (thus, the reason why it's been included in the Forum rules...)

As an example from a previous post, 12 Kingdoms and Inuyasha are based on the warring periods of China and Japan, and Rurouni Kenshin is from the early Meiji Restoration period of Japan. If you knew that, then these series are clearly not what your looking for
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuzia View Post
    ciao a tuttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii me kiamo mattia e vojo vede i filmetti bellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    I guess this is an introduction in which case it belongs in the introductions forum.

Otaku Tula is off to a good start Tula's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post

As an example from a previous post, 12 Kingdoms and Inuyasha are based on the warring periods of China and Japan, and Rurouni Kenshin is from the early Meiji Restoration period of Japan. If you knew that, then these series are clearly not what your looking for
    In a case of something like this I interpretted medieval to mean pre- modern day technologies.
    InuYasha predominantly took place in the past rather than present day.

So stop picking on me

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tula View Post
    In a case of something like this I interpretted medieval to mean pre- modern day technologies.
    InuYasha predominantly took place in the past rather than present day.

So stop picking on me
    He's not picking on you Tula, he's educating you! Just say "thank you oh wise one. I shall take this lesson to heart."

Newbie Zayter is off to a good start
    Thanks

Yea i know what you mean this is one of my favorite animes spice and wolf. it is set in medievil times i strongly advise you to check it out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2