Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Star

Newbie Lady Asphyxia is off to a good start Lady Asphyxia's Avatar
    Thanks

Lucky Star

Opening sequence movie

Lucky Star is a new anime from the studio that made The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Much like Azumanga Daioh, it's a mostly plotless comedy about the lives of high school girls. Except in this case, the girls are otaku/gamers.

I'm not sure how I feel about them making the OP so much like Haruhi's OP and ED, but I suppose that they have the right to capitalize on their own success. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the show. For better or worse, chances are that it'll achieve at least Haruhi's level of cult popularity.
    ~Obviously you can't chat about anything...even if you explain yourself~

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Lucky Star

God, I swear next year at AN I will be seeing people dancing to the Lucky Star (this year will be the Haruhi dance) which they will do it wrong.

Its a relaxing show, nothing really happens just casual conversation, sometimes odd ones. Theres already hate/trolls towards the show.

Thanks

Yes I know, tell me about it. Many people think its just a remake of Haruhi, but yeah, I'm really interested in your take on the start of Lucky Star... despite its uber-moeness, it's different from anything they've done before because of its 4koma roots. The artwork is very bright and appealing, and there's nowhere that the animation falters--but it doesn't have much of a chance to shine, either. One gets the sense that they're taking a break between the more detailed/drama-intensive Kanon and Clannad.

Episode 1 was decent. Although it didn't wow me or anything, anime comedy usually doesn't, and watching it was pleasant and relaxing. It left me with a smile on my face. I was surprised by the extent to which it's dialogue-based; there were almost none of the physical gags that you tend to get in this type of show. Part of me wishes they had brought in someone like Akiyuki Shinbo to liven things up, but I guess there are already enough Pani Poni Dashes, Negimas and Hidamari Sketches in the world.

Newbie VASON528 is off to a good start VASON528's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: Lucky Star

suuuper cuuute !!! makes me wanna hug them tight and not let them go ,lol.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Asphyxia View Post
    Yes I know, tell me about it. Many people think its just a remake of Haruhi, but yeah, I'm really interested in your take on the start of Lucky Star... despite its uber-moeness, it's different from anything they've done before because of its 4koma roots. The artwork is very bright and appealing, and there's nowhere that the animation falters--but it doesn't have much of a chance to shine, either.
    As far as the animation quality goes, there isn't much the studio can do with a series based on a 4 panel comic strip... 'Lucky Star' is no where close to the 'Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia', but instead is much closer in both spirit and animation style to 'Azumanga Daioh'. But instead of having a cute 10 year old genius, the show revolves around a Otaku girl who can easily qualify for a membership in 'Genshiken'. And to match the otaku character, there are anime references littered throughout the series, from the music theme playing on that Taiko drum arcade machine, to the plush dolls in the crane game, some of the outfits that the characters wear... This series is a must see for both 'Azumanga' and 'Genshiken' fans...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Ahiko is off to a good start Ahiko's Avatar
    Thanks

Lucky Star is really cute, but I didn't really follow the whole Haruhiist trend (and I usually keep away from the super popular anime for some reason), so it took me a while to get past avoiding anything remotely related to Haruhi.

I love the OP, but the first episode made me throw it in the Recycle Bin after the first ten minutes. Hopefully I'll get around to it again since I re-downloaded the first few episodes.

As for the Haruhi dancing, it's already begun.
    あたしと一緒に遊びたい~

Thanks

OMFG!!!!!I'm so laughing my behind off right now! That...that left me speechless in so many ways when I first saw it.

The only thing that I was really annoyed with was that they were high schoolers that looked more like middle schoolers. Besides that I though it was pretty good, it's only the first episode so it would be rather harsh of me to judge it so harshly. The Street Fighter thing as well as the .hack//roots reference did make it pretty enjoyable. (epically since the foreigner happened to be American lol). Lucky channel was pretty funny...so senseless.

Newbie Ahiko is off to a good start Ahiko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Asphyxia View Post
    Besides that I though it was pretty good, it's only the first episode so it would be rather harsh of me to judge it so harshly.
    I think the first episode can really make or break an anime (which a lot of my anime blogging friends use to evaluate whether or not to blog a show).

I'm pretty harsh when it comes to choosing which anime to watch cuz I don't have all the time to watch anime unless the first episode really gets me hooked. I guess that's what I did with Lucky Star, but the bias against anything related to Haruhi also had some part in that.

Lucky Star's really good for this season, though. There are lots of gory and dark-themed anime out this season, and it's the happy, bubbly, and random nonsense kind of anime that's a good slice of life to have to brighten the mood from the gory ones. xD
    あたしと一緒に遊びたい~

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast