+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mech anime experts! What to watch?

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

Mech anime experts! What to watch?

I have never been a big fan of Mecha anime in the past, but I recently watched Gundam Seed and really enjoyed it. Now I am looking for more and figured I would go back to the source if you will and watch one of the major series in the genre and watch either Macross or Gundam but do not know what one I should start with?

I would be watching the original series of either and I guess working my way forward to the latest series. From what I understand, the Macross series are all connected and go in order while the Gundam series are each their own little universe. Is that true?

Now, I have seen Gundam Seed and did enjoy it and I have heard that it was pretty much a retelling of the original Gundam series. I am guessing I would like that, but having just seen Seed I am not sure I want to basically rewatch it. I also did watch the first two episodes of Gundam 00 not to long ago and didn't really get into it. I was just not feeling the characters. I liked the "average nobody who becomes hero" idea of Seed where as the pilots in 00 were already elite Gundam pilots at the start of the series.

I know next to nothing about Macross other then I watched Robotech on DVD like 10 years ago... I do like the design of the Mechs from what I have seen from models and such and I hear that music plays an important role in the series and that interests me.

So Opinions? What is the better Grand Daddy Mech series? Are there any other Mech series out there that I should watch as well? Any help will be much appreciated!
    Who needs a signature.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mech anime experts! What to watch?

Go watch SEED Destiny, it wraps up the SEED story quite nicely, and if you haven't watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, you shouldn't call yourself a Mecha fan.

Thanks

Oh yeah, I should have said. Yeah I did watch Seed Destiny and yes, I have seen Eva. Also seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Eureka 7, Escaflowne, Nadesico, and RahXephon. I think that is it for my Mecha viewing however.
    Who needs a signature.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Oh yeah, I should have said. Yeah I did watch Seed Destiny and yes, I have seen Eva. Also seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Eureka 7, Escaflowne, Nadesico, and RahXephon. I think that is it for my Mecha viewing however.
    For 'Macross' you need to start with the original 'Super Dimensional Fortress Macross' series... With the exceptions of 'Macross II' OVA (non-canon) and 'Macross Plus' (side story), the remainder (in order, 'Macross 7' (TV, Movie and OVA), 'Macross Zero' (prequel OVA), and 'Macross Flontier') are unlicensed for Region1, so you have to search for the Fansubs...

Another Mecha series to try would be 'Patlabor' (Think of a police series with Mecha's instead of patrol cars), a earlier work from the same author of the 'Ghost in the Shell' series...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Evangelion Gundam Wing Gundam SEED, and for a classic don't forget Voltron. And of course I agree with the above mentioned Macross simply because it is cannon for all claiming to be mecha fans just as Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Evangelion Gundam Wing Gundam SEED, and for a classic don't forget Voltron. And of course I agree with the above mentioned Macross simply because it is cannon for all claiming to be mecha fans just as Neon Genesis Evangelion.
    Been watching SDF Macross and enjoying it. A bit dated and predictable, but good. Seen Gundam SEED but I think I will watch Wing after I watch Macross 7 and Frontier.
    Who needs a signature.

Otaku Nodes Champion, Flames of Fury Champion shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz's Avatar
    the sign says "in a black hole". Is that even possible?!?!
    Thanks

Also, If you haven't seen Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, I suggest that. There was another I was thinking of, but I can't remember it's name. I don't think it's been said yet though.

Edit: I have the name now, Zoids. A bit dated now, but from what I remember, It was a good one. Three Seasons, some better than others.

A big thanks to Renn for the sig! THANK YOU!

Thanks

Seen Code Geass. Easily one of the greatest ending to a series ever. Zoids seems a bit childish for my tastes.

Finished SDF Macross last night. Took quite an interesting turn there at the end but I really liked it. I was going to jump right into Macross 7 but someone else told me I should watch Do You Remember Love and Macross Plus first so I am trying to hunt those down now. Rewatching Last Exile for now. Not Mecha, but awesome.
    Who needs a signature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast