+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mech anime experts! What to watch?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mech anime experts! What to watch?

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Seen Code Geass. Easily one of the greatest ending to a series ever. Zoids seems a bit childish for my tastes.

Finished SDF Macross last night. Took quite an interesting turn there at the end but I really liked it. I was going to jump right into Macross 7 but someone else told me I should watch Do You Remember Love and Macross Plus first so I am trying to hunt those down now. Rewatching Last Exile for now. Not Mecha, but awesome.
    The movie 'Do You Remember Love' is a retelling of the original series (but with some twists to the plot). 'Macross Plus' is a side story that is independent of the other series, but shares the same common background. (Though the Veri-Tech fighter prototype being developed in 'Macross Plus' does show up in production form in 'Macross 7'...)

The only series (besides 'Macross 7') that has a real dependency on previous series would be 'Macross Frontier', where at the very least, you should watch the original 'Macross', 'Macross 7', and the prequel 'Macross Zero' to understand all the significant nuances contained in 'Macross Frontier'
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LenMiyata For This Useful Post:

Skizzit (Oct 30, 2009)

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The movie 'Do You Remember Love' is a retelling of the original series (but with some twists to the plot). 'Macross Plus' is a side story that is independent of the other series, but shares the same common background. (Though the Veri-Tech fighter prototype being developed in 'Macross Plus' does show up in production form in 'Macross 7'...)

The only series (besides 'Macross 7') that has a real dependency on previous series would be 'Macross Frontier', where at the very least, you should watch the original 'Macross', 'Macross 7', and the prequel 'Macross Zero' to understand all the significant nuances contained in 'Macross Frontier'
    Nice, thanks for the info. I just watched Do You Remember Love last night and it was interesting to say the least. I hear that it actually is added to the overall cannon as being a movie that was produced by the people on Macross after the events of the first series. Pretty cool. Watching Macross Plus next.

What is Macross Zero? This is the first I have heard of it. When did that come out? Is it a prequel to the whole thing or just to Frontier?
    Who needs a signature.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    ...What is Macross Zero? This is the first I have heard of it. When did that come out? Is it a prequel to the whole thing or just to Frontier?
    'Macross Zero' is a OVA series produced in 2002, and covers the period just after the crash-landing of the alien Space Fortress, with the nations of the world at war (before UN Spacey took over) for control of the alien technology. So it is a prequel to the whole thing...

(Incidentally, it was produced by Satelight, the same studio that made 'FMP:The Second Raid' as well as 'Hellsing Ultimate' OVA and 'Macross Frontier'. This is also the first Macross series to use CGI effects showing the Veri-Tech mecha's in an all out dogfight, which is very impressive...)

Macross Zero (OAV) - Anime News Network
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2