+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mechalympics: Angstathon

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Mechalympics: Angstathon

Let's have a friendly little competition.

We're having a pity-party for the put-upon main characters of giant robot shows and need a guest of honor. Which main character should we throw the party for?

(the answer shouldn't be who thinks HE deserves it, but who YOU think deserves it)

WARNING: While this thread reveals no major secrets or plot details, there are some vague, generic statements that may count as very mild, non-specific spoilers. For the most part, they're nothing you couldn't learn from reading the back of DVD covers. Proceed with caution anyway... and be sure to use spoiler tags when giving detailed spoilers!

Contestant #1 - Shinji Ikari ~ Neon Genesis Evangelion

Shinji's father is a certified bastard who isn't beyond sacrificing his own child's life, happiness and sanity to get what he wants. His mother's dead,
     click to show spoiler
    The only people Shinji has ever loved are dead or insane: the only one who's ever openly loved him, he's been forced to kill. The world is ending and he's never been laid. He's the main character of his series, but everyone hates him.

family issues: single parent, latch-key kid, emotional abuse, neglect
    past life issues: N/A
    fandom issues: almost universally hated
    sexuality issues: general discomfort with intimacy, unhealthy sexual outlets (masturbating on comatose friends), possible latent homosexuality
    dead friend/family count: anime ~ 5, manga ~ 6
    dead love-interest count: 1
    aggression from other characters: quite a bit of verbal abuse but remarkably little physical violence
    self-pity: sky high

Contestant #2 - Shinn Asuka ~ Gundam Seed Destiny

His parents and little sister have been killed before his eyes. He hates the destructive power of war but sees war as the only practical outlet to avenge his family. He was the main character of a major franchise show, but had that honor yanked out from under him when a putzy fan-favorite showed up with a super-powered shiny new sparkle-shooting machine and
     click to show spoiler
    He's now a psuedo-villain and almost everyone who watches the show hates him. If any of his friends or loved-ones survive to the end of the series, it will be a minor miracle and the only way for people to stop hating him is for him to admit he was wrong and hug the bastard who stole his show.

family issues: orphan (recently)
    past life issues: N/A
    fandom issues: general trend of dislike
    sexuality issues: N/A (Shinn is actually one of the first Gundam characters to remain primarily heterosexual even in the doujinshi world)
    dead friend/family count: 4
    dead love-interest count: 1
    aggression from other characters: low, Shinn's smackdowns seems to come by proxy.
    self-pity: moderate

Contestant #3 - Apollo ~ Sousei no Aquarion

He's got no parents. He hasn't even got a real name. After 13 years of scraping by in a place that makes Afganistan look like paradise, his only real friend has been absorbed into a giant plant to supply power to immortals who look at humans as living batteries. He's saved civilization as we know it half a dozen times by piloting his mech and all it seems to have gotten him the undying contempt of one of his co-pilots. Beyond that, he's got to deal with the consequences of his previous incarnation's chronic inability to make a decision about his sexuality. His reincarnated girlfriend just wants to beat him up and his old boyfriend, an extremely formidable immortal with an army at his disposal, is PISSED OFF about those 12,000 years of issues left hanging. Everyone seems to want him to dissappear, die or fail miserably... and none of it seems to be his fault.

family issues: orphan (all along)
    past life issues: painful/traumatic execution, unresolved love triangle, general confusion
    fandom issues: well-liked but virtually unknown
    sexuality issues: decidedly heterosexual but the target of a rather agressive past-life lover of the same sex
    dead friend/family count: unknown (at least 1)
    dead love-interest count: N/A
    dead self count: 1 (past life)
    aggression from other characters: high. Sirius hates him, Touma (love)hates him, Silvia (love)hates him, his superiors smack him down regularly, his main love-interest is slap-happy, he spends two or three hours of the series' runtime with his face ground into the dirt one way or another. He was crucified in his past life (ouch).
    self-pity: non-existant

Contestant #4 ~ Write in...

Add your own character . Just remember: they need to be the main character of a mech series (ex. Ayato, RahXephon; Heero Yuy, Gundam Wing; Van Fanel, Escaflowne). Be sure to include a short description as to WHY they deserve to be in the running.

So, who wins the pity-party?
    Last edited by tsurara; Sep 30, 2007 at 05:06 AM.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Mechalympics: Angstathon

i bet that you were writing that for at least one hour and it's done in an excellent shape .. just one question .. do we have to choose from the Contestants you have wrote about and add fourth one of our own ,or do we have to write new Contestants and how many?
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I vote for Osamu Wakai and his Amuro Ray impersonation skills.

GANDAMU!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post
    i bet that you were writing that for at least one hour and it's done in an excellent shape .. just one question .. do we have to choose from the Contestants you have wrote about and add fourth one of our own ,or do we have to write new Contestants and how many?
    You can vote for one of the three written as examples or write your own and vote for him or her.

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd have to go with Shinn on this one. He actually tries to do the best that he can but he can't seem to admit when he's wrong. So I'd say my vote goes with him.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

ok .. as for me i would choose "Contestant #1 - Shinji Ikari ~ Neon Genesis Evangelion" since his very early childhood he was very unhappy being living like that with no parent care or anything which created in himself the fear of everything that caused him to become a hesitated wimp without knowing it himself .. so he is the one
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Shinji Ikari all the way. I just hate his panzy ass, but out of all the contestants, I have the most pity for him.

Although, I do have a begrudging respect for Shinji in the manga, simply because he actually has a set of balls (Albeit a small set, but a set none the less), be cause he
     click to show spoiler

Thanks

I reply to your spoiler with one of my own:

click to show spoiler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast