+ Reply to Thread

Thread: musical cliche in cyberpunk anime? (can you help me?)

Newbie breezy89 is off to a good start
    Thanks

musical cliche in cyberpunk anime? (can you help me?)

hi everyone my name is iain i'm a music student and i'm doing a dissertation all about the music in cyberpunk anime. i was hoping i could put out a few questions and you all could have a a good chat about them the answers don't have to be super academic or anything like that and please feel free to talk about any aspect of the topic that comes to mind, just as if i had just raised the questions in casual conversation. please answer/discuss any or all the questions that you feel like. so anyway the questions are:

what do you feel are the musical cliches within cyberpunk anime?

how do you feel the music in cyberpunk anime contrasts with other examples of the cyberpunk genre from outside of japan?

have you noticed a greater contrast in the music of japanese cyberpunk anime and the music in cyberpunk in the rest of the world when the production values of the projects are higher?

thanks everyone!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: musical cliche in cyberpunk anime? (can you help me?)

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now are you really being specific enough with the topic at hand??? In Anime, Cyberpunk is itself divided into to major sub-genre... You have 'Action' Cyberpunk series, (with the definitive example being 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex'...) and you have 'Hardcore' Cyberpunk. (with the definitive example being 'Serial Experiment Lain'...) Action Cyberpunk has more action/combat background music, while hardcore Cyberpunk, (with a greater emphasis on what is the meaning of experience) has more of a trend for spookier music...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

thnx for the reply
    sorry if i am being naive but is it possible to discuss the two sub-genres within the same thread? also do you think you could elaborate on what you mean by 'action/combat background music' and 'spookier music' i think i understand what your saying its just for research purposes it helps to state the obvious (e.g. do they use guitars?)

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

'Action' Cyberpunk series almost always use a 'Hard Rock' sound track...
    Significant 'Action' series (if you want to sample the genre) include... 'Ghost in the Shell', 'Megazone 23' (both of these are said to be influential in the development of the 'Matrix' movie trilogy). Bubblegum Crisis (and its remake, Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040), 'Burst Angel'...

'Hard-Core' Cyberpunk (which are closer to the original 'Neuromancer' Novel that defined the original Sci-Fi Cyberpunk genre) tend towards using instrumental music. Significant entries include... 'Key the Metal Idol', 'Serial Experiment Lain', 'Ergo Proxy', 'Texhnolyz' and the unlicensed in Region 1 'Kaiba' and 'Denou Coil'
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

kool that's usefull. bubblegum crisis was a fun one when i did some of my preliminary research
    you talked about ghost in the shell and the matrix what do you feel are the significant differences between the soundtracks of those two movies?

so in terms of the two subgenre's do you feel like 'action' is more geared towards real instruments (guitars, drums etc.) and has a bigger western influence whereas 'hardcore' has a greater predilection toward synthesizers and processed sound? also are their any example's of a crossover?

further more do think it a fair assessment to say that in hardcore cyberpunk ambient music is often a significant influence?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I suppose if you're referring to Action Cyberpunk, I immediately think GITS (because how big it is). However, which installment are we talking about? The music from the two movies is greatly different than the music in SAC. I really like how the motion pictures have a different feel to them, mainly due to the music. There's more of an orchestral feeling in the motion picture soundtracks, whereas SAC has a more electronic/hard-rock feel to it. Bubblegum Crisis was about in the same area as GITS:SAC.

Thanks

insight both into he movies and the series is of use to me. in fact the contrast between television and film is an area i might look into more any thought?

+ Reply to Thread