Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My dad hates anime!

Otaku Flying Ace may be famous one day Flying Ace may be famous one day
    Thanks

My dad hates anime!

Gah! It's horrible!

I am a new anime fan, and I really enjoy anime, but my dad just hates it with a great passion, he is even thinking of banning all anime from me! I don't know why, he says it's trash and destroys my mind. And when I ask him why, he says because he hates the artwork. I try to tell him that beauty is the eye of the beholder but he hates that sayings.

So I'm wondering, does anyone here have a problem like this?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: My dad hates anime!

I'm wondering... Should I move this to the anime forum?
    I guess I will.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm... can't say I do. My dad doesn't like anime, but he doesn't really care if I watch it either. Mostly becuase I watch all the sci-fi stuff and none of those mushy ones. As long as I keep it bloody or full of violence my dad's okay with it .
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

its parents... they are very...old school sometimes, they don't understand,or try new stuff, they would only try or do stuff unless their friends tell them to, my dad doesn't ban me from stuff, he just gives me advise as if i should watch it or not. my advise its that you should find an appropriate anime, that you know that he will like for sure, and show it to them, maybe you can change his mind, just don't get him too addicted to it. :P

Otaku Laharl ex may be famous one day Laharl ex may be famous one day
    Thanks

I'd start with why he thinks it's trash and mind destroying. Chances are the guy is just going off about something he doesn't know about. Use actually reasoning and if that fails, cause lots of trouble in school. Maybe do what my friend does, throw a chair at him.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I wonder if the problem is the Anime your watching.... Have you every shown him any of the main stream family releases, such as the Oscar award winning movie 'Spirited Away', or the Oscar runner up features 'Tokyo Godfather' and 'Millennium Actress', or 'Howl's Moving Castle'...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

I wonder if the problem is the Anime your watching.... Have you every shown him any of the main stream family releases, such as the Oscar award winning movie 'Spirited Away', or the Oscar runner up features 'Tokyo Godfather' and 'Millennium Actress', or 'Howl's Moving Castle'...
    Yeah personally I can say I know what Len is talking about. My family came from a country that was exposed to anime for the longest time; I was exposed to dragon ball as a kid while my father and mother was exposed to the oldies like Astro Boy and others.

He definitely have no problems with me watching meaningful animes, but he would always go :S when he saw me watching some of the more "mushy" animes. I did watch those "mushy" animes when I was younger, and a lot of times they have guys that look like girls (see: fushigi yuugi). So yeah I can see where your folks are coming from.

Even now when I watch bleach, my dad goes like this: seeing all the blood and yet Ichigo never dies, but at least he would stop to watch it cuz it interests him.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Flying Ace may be famous one day Flying Ace may be famous one day
    Thanks

Okay well, the anime that he has seen is a few episodes of "DNangel". He hates it with a great passion. My mom doesn't like it either.

I dunno, I know he won't like the artwork no matter what, but I wonder, is there a story he might really enjoy? He loves science fiction, but doesn't like any fantasy. Does anyone know an anime like that?

Here are the reasons he thinks it's trash:

1. He hates the artwork

2. He doesn't like most fantasy in general (except for fantasy that doesn't envovle casting spells, he does like it when it envovles going to a new world or something like that)

3. Because I'm his only son, and he's the kind of guy who was just DYING for a son before he had me and is super concerned about doing everything right.

These are the reasons I know of at least. Thank you so much for the suggestions, I'll try them out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast