Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My likes/dislikes. Recommendations please?

Newbie Leady 702 is off to a good start
    Thanks

Question My likes/dislikes. Recommendations please?

Here's some of the ones I saw a whole OVA or at least one full season of and liked:

Gunslinger Girl (I even made an AMV for it)
    Black Lagoon
    Gantz
    Speedgrapher
    When They Cry
    Elfen Lied
    Akira
    The Animatrix
    Lain: Serial Experiments
    Perfect Blue
    Paranoia Agent
    Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
    Dead Leaves
    Apocalypse Zero
    Eiken
    Puni Puni Poemi
    Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
    Catblue Dynamite

Here's stuff I've seen and don't rly care for, or used to care about and stopped caring long ago:

Inuyasha
    DBZ
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Naruto
    Fist of the North Star
    Berzerk
    Ninja Scroll
    Gundam Wing
    Gilgamesh (i'll give this credit for it's artsyness with it's grim atmosphere, but it couldn't hold my interest for too long)
    Read or Die
    Paprika
    Spirited Away
    The Tower of DRUAGA
    Blassreiter
    S-Cry-Ed
    Ghost in the Shell: Season 2 (I ruined it by seeing the last episode and only a few mid-season, so I thought it was cool but couldn't enjoy it fully and didn't wanna go back since i knew how it ended)
    Death Note (same as GITS)
    Code Geass
    Digimon
    Pokemon
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro- chan
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Bleach
    Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    Appleseed
    Vampire Hunter D/Bloodlust
    Blood: The Last Vampire
    The Big O
    Burn-Up W
    5 Centimeters Per Second
    Bible Black (not gonna deny it was hot, and surprisingly interesting too, but after the first season, I could tell it was the same repetetive seduction-spell/sex/sacrifice stuff all over )

there's probably a few I'm leaving out, which I can't recall atm, but it's pretty apparent that there's more stuff I dislike then like that I've seen. Some of these I've watched on TV (most of the ones I disliked), some online, some I own; most I didn't see on TV i just found out about by reading info about em online and/or noticing them as 'related search' for animes I already liked. I pribably watched my first dbz episode when I was around 11, started watching more diff. animes around 17ish, and since about autumn-2009 (21 now) starting watching more anime, finding more that I like, while also being more pickier than ever. The only things on my list of stuff-to-see atm is Excel Saga since i liked Eiken and Puni Puni Poemy parody/over the top comedy aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Ninja Resurrection for some violent/hopefully also interesting stuff.

Anyways, judging from my taste, what would you suggest to me?
    Last edited by aceman67; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Text size not needed...

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: My likes/dislikes. Recommendations please?

Why do you hate Cartoon network's animes so much? have you ever seen Gungrave?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Appears that you more 'Mature' taste in your anime...

I would recommend...
    'Hellsing Ultimate' OVA series. Simply the best vampire series since the movie 'Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust'..

The award winning 'Gankutsuou', the Studio GONZO Sci-fi remake of the classic novel 'The Count of Monte Cristo', and easily one of the best series that GONZO has ever put out..

Now you've watched 'Puni Puni Poemi' in the wrong order. You're suppose watch 'Excel Saga' first, so you can appreciate the character mangling that's done in 'Puni Puni Poemi'

Now since you like 'Serial Experiment Lain', then you should try the recent Cyberpunk series 'Ergo Proxy'...

And if you really want to test your tolerance of hard core Cyberpunk series, there's 'Texhnolyze' which is like watching a massive ongoing disaster in slow motion from the point of view of a disinterested third party observer. (the first episode only has 1 sentence of spoken words...)

And you really should go back and try both 'Death Note' and 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex' from the very beginning, as both of them are award winning series that rank among the best Anime to come out in the past decade...

And if you haven't seen it, there's always 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' (a series that is 'must see' simply because all the other serious anime fans have already seen it.) And after watching it, you can view 'RahXephon', and join the endless debate of which of the two series is the best of the 'psychological drama' genre...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

'Serial Experiment Lain', I remeber that on g4 when they ran anime on that channel that was a strange but I like it when I watch the whole thing twice to fully understand it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Appears that you more 'Mature' taste in your anime...

I would recommend...
    'Hellsing Ultimate' OVA series. Simply the best vampire series since the movie 'Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust'..

The award winning 'Gankutsuou', the Studio GONZO Sci-fi remake of the classic novel 'The Count of Monte Cristo', and easily one of the best series that GONZO has ever put out..

Now you've watched 'Puni Puni Poemi' in the wrong order. You're suppose watch 'Excel Saga' first, so you can appreciate the character mangling that's done in 'Puni Puni Poemi'

Now since you like 'Serial Experiment Lain', then you should try the recent Cyberpunk series 'Ergo Proxy'...

And if you really want to test your tolerance of hard core Cyberpunk series, there's 'Texhnolyze' which is like watching a massive ongoing disaster in slow motion from the point of view of a disinterested third party observer. (the first episode only has 1 sentence of spoken words...)

And you really should go back and try both 'Death Note' and 'Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex' from the very beginning, as both of them are award winning series that rank among the best Anime to come out in the past decade...

And if you haven't seen it, there's always 'Neon Genesis Evangelion' (a series that is 'must see' simply because all the other serious anime fans have already seen it.) And after watching it, you can view 'RahXephon', and join the endless debate of which of the two series is the best of the 'psychological drama' genre...
    Thanks a lot! srsly! I posted this on a site where I've watched sum of my fav. stuff, and i only got one response saying just Ergo Proxy >.>

I think I've seen liek one episode of Hellsing n never went back but I'll be sure to check out Hellsing: Ultimate to see if I like it since u seem to rly know ur shit. I thought Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was good, def. better then the first, despite the weird sound glitches, but it was just a plain love story to me. It's not that I completely dismiss love stuff, but it was never as deep as Samurai X's love, where u witness Kenshin go from a hardened, orphaned assassin to a loving, working, bleeding man watching his woman die for him right before his eyes.

Never heard of Gankutsuou but I rmember my dad told me how in The Cable Guy, the jail scene was a reference to The Count of Monte Crisco which he said was a good movie. I'll check this out too.

I think I've seen one episode of Ergo Proxy on Encore, but they played it at random-seeming times so I didn't see any more and forgot about it, plus I game a lot. I'll make sure to inspect it more fully.

As for Texhnolyze, I've seen one on Anime Network long ago, but I didn't rly watch the channel cuz they didn't have much that interested me (although it is where I found out about Gantz and Gilgamesh, so I give it credit for that), but I'll watch more some time, since you brought it up in such an elegant fashion. The one I saw had some lady go throughout a closed off area and some kids who could stop/slow time n stuff.

Guess I'll go back for GITS/Death Note a while after I check out all this stuff I'm barely familiar with/haven't seen.

I've seen an episode or part of an OVA of the highly acclaimed Neon Genesis Evangelion on Adult Swim and was bored. Probably because I didn't have any idea of what was going on.

Heard of RahXephon but never seen it. I may just skip NGE and watch that in the future.

Thnx for the feedback! Very constructive and very helpful! When I'm really into an anime, I'll watch all the episodes in 2 weeks or less, but I'm going on a vacation next month, and getting a job when I get back, so these will last me a damn good amount of time. Thnx again!!! ^_~
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Jan 26, 2010 at 05:19 PM.

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

You might be the first person I have ever seen that has disliked both Cowboy Bebop and Code Geass. What is it you dislike about them? Code Geass is in my opinion a near perfect series.

I cannot offer to much because most of my favorites are listed in your dislike list or are similar to ones listed in the dislike list. I will say that I agree with Len that you should give both Death Note and GITS another try. And NGE is not the kind of show you can watch a random episode and understand. It really needs to be watched from the beginning and even then it will likely confuse the crap outa you on the first viewing.

The only series that I can think of you might like would be Darker Then Black. It is currently in the middle of its 2nd season right now but the first was a complete story and is fantastic.

Anyways, good luck with your hunt!
    Who needs a signature.

Thanks

Your right Skizzit Bebop is a classic, How can you NOT like itabout the very frist amime show On{AS} But I do find a bit odd that there is nothing about jet after spike dies..

Death Note it is a 99% good series, but {AS} does not air where light see the king like #37 on the list it was like aired in japan the two hours Special.. Code geass is great too I just that {AS} kept fill it with comericals

and Samrai X that is a blood bath YESS! anf About GITS I would watch them in time line order Moive and series and the Stand alone Complex it is a instant classic..

To all of the people that i have posted before Me I will recomend an Anime "Gun Grave"

Thanks

well, I don't dislike cowboy bebop. that's y i made that list, 'don't rly care for/stopped caring about'. Some of those I don't like, some I just think are ok. It's not liek a HATE LIST!...lol. If I was layin down in my room, I'd prolly watch it if there was nothing else on at the time, but it's not something I would stop what I'm doin for. Honestly, I still watch inuyasha at least once a month if it's on adult swim, and i don't feel like falling asleep to music/show/movie. I mean, every episode is basically the same, with the constantly reoccuring small-seeming soundtrack to accompany it [but every heart will always be an awesome song. BoA is the shit]. Although it's nothing liek DBZ for the story, in the repetition factor it's the same thing.

Geass just didn't interest me.

I'll check out Darker Then Black too ^_~

btw, for the violent stuff that I do like, note that all of them are rly unique ones; i.e. Gantz has the horribly selfish ppl, good production, and a weird story, Akira - masterpiece, doesn't need much explaining, Speedgrapher - extremely diverse story. I can't just watch violence without a plot, or else i'm bored, and if a story is completely cliche, i'll get bored too....just saying this before i check out any of the violent recommendations.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast