Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need an anime suggestion

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

Need an anime suggestion

I'm looking for a new anime (either released now in BitTorrent files, or already available for DVD purchase in America) which is part of the mecha genre, but without all the angst (the opposite of Evangelion). What I'm talking about is something that would fall along the lines of the feeling of "Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory", or perhaps "Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars", where, while there may be SOME angst, it is not a major factor in the story.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

To weed out possible recommendations that I have already seen, here is the list of anime within this category that I have already viewed:

•Escaflowne
    •Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
    •Tekkaman Blade II
    •Full Metal Panic/FMP-The Second Raid/FMP Fumoffu
    •Blue Gender
    •Eureka Seven-some angst, but it works

One other request is that the anime does NOT contain fanservice, or as little fanservice as possible.

Otaku rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai may be famous one day rksamurai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Need an anime suggestion

Uhh.. does chrono crusade work?? or trigun?? then there is transformers.. lol
    Thank you Lasura!
    My lover speaks; and he says, 'Arise my beloved my beautiful one and come!' -Song of Songs 2:10

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rksamurai View Post
    Uhh.. does chrono crusade work?? or trigun?? then there is transformers.. lol
    I've seen Trigun... didn't really think that fit into the mecha genre category. What is Chrono Crusade, though?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

'Chono Crusades' isn't Mecha, so you can ignore that...

So, you haven't seen the award winning TV series 'Mobile Suit Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny' which is the 21st Centuray Gundam revival series? or 'Gundam Wing' which was the best of the Gundam series in the 1990s??

Or the classic series from the 'Golden Age' of anime known as 'Macross', which was the core of the butchered English Dub known as 'Robotech', (with the series currently in DVD release from ADV Films... Vol #6, comes out this week, and I'm waiting in anticipation for the famous 'Lyn Min-May Attack' scene...), or it's sequel, which still ranks as one of the greatest unlicensed franchises of the 1990s, (and available in fansubs) known as 'Macross 7'

And even though there's alot of angst in this EVA inspired series, 'RahXephon' is better then the series that inspired it...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Laharl ex may be famous one day Laharl ex may be famous one day
    Thanks

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6704

Clamp character designs and a very likeable main character. Has really...unexpected moments in it, too. There's a few eps out so far.

You can always pick up the box set of Pilot Canidate.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=194
    ...after the ending you may want to see the OVA, though. >_>
    I mention that because the main character is opposite of Shinji.

Thanks

I completely forgot about Macross, Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny, and Gundam Wing (yes, I've seen those).

I haven't seen Macross 7, but I've seen Macross Plus, and the second Macross film, "Lovers Again"

And yeah, Pilot Candidate is a fun series. It annoys me they never did complete it. I've seen all the episodes and the OVA.

Actually, I'm looking for something similar to Pilot Candidate, but which lasts longer (preferably more than 13 episodes). Another anime I forgot to mention (don't know why I forgot it), is Patlabor. The second film is probably my favorite, though I enjoy the remake of the original series.

Something else that seems right up my alley is the new Guyver anime (I'm part of the campus anime club, so I managed to get my hands on one of ADV's promotional DVDs they mail out in large quantities).

The problem I'm having is trying to search for an anime done by a fansubbing group that would fit the genres I like. I've gone so far as watching "Honey and Clover II" just to get away from my typical favorites (the violence and angst anime I watch, while they are fun, are not the kind of things to cheer me up after a long day of accounting classes).

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

I would recommend looking up 'Macross 7', which is the true and legitimate sequal to 'Macross', with 49 episodes, 3 Encore episodes, a half hour long theatrical movie (which was a double feature with the 'Macross Plus' movie), followed by a 4 episode OVA series.

There is also a 'Macross' prequel OVA series known as 'Macross Zero' (which shows what a CGI created Valkyrie can do...)

It also sounds like you've seen enough Mecha Anime to appreciate the comedy/parody series 'Martian Successor Nadesico' which is influential enough that the early volumns of 'MegaTokyo' make many a reference to it...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

I've heard good things about Nadesco, but never really got around to trying it.

Also, has anyone heard anything good about Gasaraki?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast