+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need input on some anime choices

Newbie MechaJack is off to a good start MechaJack's Avatar
    Thanks

Need input on some anime choices

So i'm trying to find some new anime to watch. I'm looking into Mouse, Eurekai 7, Love Hina, and Trinity Blood. If you watched any of these and liked them or didn't like them let me know. please also include you reasoning either for or against it (facts are preferred and don't post if all you have to say is it was awesome)Thanks and if this is the wrong spot please feel free to move it.

-Jack

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Need input on some anime choices

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now out of the 4 series that you list, only 'Eureka 7' took a significant anime award, taking one of the 'Notable Television Series' at the 2006 Tokyo International Anime Fair...

Tokyo Anime Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only other series that might be considered significant would be 'Love Hina', which was highly popular among the young adult/college student crowd in Japan, and was considered the significant series for its year when released in the US market...

Though the question that has to be asked is 'What kind of series are you looking for' as personal preferences have more importance then any recommendation you may receive. If you're just looking around to try something different, then any of the award winning Tokyo Anime Awards series would be a safe choice, as award winning series usually have a good reason why they won that award...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Trinity blood was God awful. Too many episodes that just don't lead anywhere or to anything. Never met anyone who liked it including me, never met anyone who thought it was worth their money. Instead get the "D" movies and check out Gurren Lagann.
    Last edited by beast; Dec 28, 2009 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks

yea I would list shows i like but i like most shows for reasons that are different than intended. but if a list you require than a list i shall provide...
    FMA
    Full Metal Panic
    Neon genesis
    Cowboy Bebop
    school Rumble
    Onegai teacher
    Ranma 1/2
    DB franchise
    GITS
    Gundam Wing/Seed
    ....uh i think thats a start

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

So it appears you're into action series, and slice of life comedies...

So in addition to 'Eureka 7' (strange Mecha piloted by quiet blue-haired girl falls into father's workshop...)
    Eureka Seven (TV) - Anime News Network
    Eureka Seven (d) ep.1 - Anime News Network

I would also recommended

'Code Geas: Lelouch of the Rebellion' (high school encounters mysterious blue-haired girl who grants him a unique power...). This series is the only Tokyo Anime Award winner that both the original AND the sequel took 'Notable Television
    series' awards
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - Anime News Network
    Code Geass (d) ep.1 - Anime News Network

and from GAINAX Studio, famous for its slogan of 'Fan Service!, Fan Service!', there's the award winning (both Tokyo Anime Awards, and Japan Media Arts Festival) series called 'Gurren Lagann', the GAINAX Studio homage to the Giant Robot genre...
    Gurren Lagann (TV) - Anime News Network
    Gurren Lagann (d) ep.1 - Anime News Network

And for Comedy, if you haven't seen the greatest Comedy Fantasy franchise of the 1990s, then you need to see Lina Inverse of 'Slayers'...
    Slayers (TV) - Anime News Network
    FUNimation Videos > Shows
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

Eureka 7 is fantastic, but keep some tissues handy for the ending if you are a big softy like me. It gets pretty deep. Love Hina is funny, but the lack of any kind of real ending (at least in the anime) can get frustrating after the third OVA. If you do watch it, go read the last few issues of the manga (or the whole thing if you got time, it is better then the series) to get the ending.

Never seen the other two you listen, but Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, and Slayers that LenMiyata listed are among my all time favorites and my list of liked anime is similar to yours (cept for School Rumble. Bored me to tears) Gurren Lagann and Slayers are good ones to watch a couple episodes to get a feel for them. Code Geass takes a bit longer to really get going, but it has by far one of the best endings in anime ever.

With all the sites out there offering streaming episodes, it is pretty easy to check out an episode or two to see if you will like something before plunking down your cash. It is a good time to be an anime fan for sure. Lets just hope the not-so-legal streaming sites ruin it.
    Who needs a signature.

Thanks

Well probably going to stay away from Eureka 7 as the main character really annoys me...like I said I tend to enjoy anime for different reasons. I'm reminded too much of Shinji Ikari who was IMO "pansy corp". Thanks for the link as it saved me further time and money; well you cant like them all. as for code geass and gurren lagan i've already started watching them and they don't seem that bad from the looks of the first few episodes. Most of the "newer" anime tends to throw me off, like Naruto, and one piece; while others like Bleach aren't necessarily bad but I don't really feel connected with the story/ characters. Comedy is a plus for me and i find lots of amusement in stories that involve awkward situations, hence my interest in Onegai Teacher/ Onegai twins. Agian, I truly appreciate the input you guys have given on the shows, it was a big help. I hope that after a few run throughs I can add some reviewes that might help others with my tastes find good anime. thanks agian.

-Jack

props to anyone who gets the reference.

Otaku Drifting 2 Champion fiqx is off to a good start fiqx's Avatar
    Thanks

i have watch a few love hina episode...but,i think it's boring...maybe i just don't like the anime that has too many girls...plus,i don't like a lovey dovey anime..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast