+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 65 to 72 of 99

Thread: original or pirated?

  1. #65
    Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Realm of Dark Illusions
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Again, you fail at law by virtue of believing what best suits you and the fandom and not what is actually true.

    Distributing work that is copyright in ANY country is illegal (though you may or may not run a significant risk of actually being caught, fined or incarcerated) unless it falls under terms of free-use or that copyright has expired and the work has fallen into the public domain.

    Except mine ...
    there's no risk at all for me ... lol
    anyway would anyone please explain the licensing thing and how or why it happens? thanks (i think it is related to the original topic or so i hope) ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

  2. #66
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post

    Except mine ...
    It doesn't matter if it's illegal in your country or not. For the material to make it into your hands in the first place required someone to break the law in their own (or one in which they were a guest).

    Japanese works do not spontaneously manifest in other markets: they are consciously stolen. Someone purchases an original, ignores the "do not copy this" printed all over it, and makes a digital or hard copy which is then released overseas or to the internet without permission or legal right... therefore breaking JAPANESE law (and likely a number of international trade agreements in the process).

    Someone MUST obtain an original in the country of origin (through legal or illegal means) before it can begin circulating elsewhere. The material itself has still been stolen and is in violation of the original creator/owner's copyright... reguardless of how far down the line you come across it.

    Paying for a bootleg does not make that bootleg "legal". And while the PURCHASE of that bootleg may not be an illegal act in itself: the material you've purchased is still an illegal copy.

    By the time it gets to you, it may no longer be "prosecutable", but it is no more legitimate.

    I could give a **** if someone wants to download something they haven't paid for. I do it all the time. But I would like to think we make those decisions conscious of their implications, legality and relative morality. If you're cool with that: great. But I don't much like the argument that "unliscenced works are legal." Because it's not true at all, in any sense of the word. You can argue that DOWNLOADING them isn't explicitly ILLEGAL... you can argue that they indirectly benefit the industry and fandom immensely... you can argue that they don't hurt anyone (probably with less success)... but you can't find ANYTHING to prove that they are "legal" or legitimate in any way. Because they aren't.
    Last edited by tsurara; Feb 18, 2008 at 04:36 AM.

  3. #67
    Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Realm of Dark Illusions
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's illegal in your country or not. For the material to make it into your hands in the first place required someone to break the law in their own (or one in which they were a guest).

    Japanese works do not spontaneously manifest in other markets: they are consciously stolen. Someone purchases an original, ignores the "do not copy this" printed all over it, and makes a digital or hard copy which is then released overseas or to the internet without permission or legal right... therefore breaking JAPANESE law (and likely a number of international trade agreements in the process).

    Someone MUST obtain an original in the country of origin (through legal or illegal means) before it can begin circulating elsewhere. The material itself has still been stolen and is in violation of the original creator/owner's copyright... reguardless of how far down the line you come across it.

    Paying for a bootleg does not make that bootleg "legal". And while the PURCHASE of that bootleg may not be an illegal act in itself: the material you've purchased is still an illegal copy.

    By the time it gets to you, it may no longer be "prosecutable", but it is no more legitimate.

    I could give a **** if someone wants to download something they haven't paid for. I do it all the time. But I would like to think we make those decisions conscious of their implications, legality and relative morality. If you're cool with that: great. But I don't much like the argument that "unliscenced works are legal." Because it's not true at all, in any sense of the word. You can argue that DOWNLOADING them isn't explicitly ILLEGAL... you can argue that they indirectly benefit the industry and fandom immensely... you can argue that they don't hurt anyone (probably with less success)... but you can't find ANYTHING to prove that they are "legal" or legitimate in any way. Because they aren't.

    first of all i was only kidding when i said that and not encouraging the illegal spread of anime ... and second you didn't have to blow your anger impact at me ,you're more intelligent to waste your breath for a reason as that of my post not to mention i know everything you said and i'm well aware of it ... i would choose the legal route if it did exist in the first place ... it was a choice that i had to accept since there was no other.
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

  4. #68
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    If I buy anime, it's the real thing. Starting a collection of pirated stuff just isn't a collection to me.
    Likewise.

    I can watch pirated anime, hell, I can even DL it! But calling it a part of my collection is something I simply can't and WON'T do.

    Since I've been more active here on AO over the past year or so, I've found myself more supportive of the people who work in anime studios (I know if I was a anime/manga-ka, and people weren't payin' for my art, I'd be pretty salty). A few years back, I didn't care. I'd dub my own VHS tapes, copy DVDs, download entire series (I still DL from time to time). But the pirating stopped once I started getting more and more serious about my art.

    If I can't afford it at that point in time, I'll enjoy a fansub or twenty--LOL--but if I've got the loot, I'm gonna pay for my anime. If we don't support the studios, we don't get new anime or manga.


    Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN
    first of all i was only kidding when i said that and not encouraging the illegal spread of anime ... and second you didn't have to blow your anger impact at me ,you're more intelligent to waste your breath for a reason as that of my post not to mention i know everything you said and i'm well aware of it ... i would choose the legal route if it did exist in the first place ... it was a choice that i had to accept since there was no other.
    How in the name of all that is holy and sacred is there NOT a legal way to accquire anime?? It's so simple! You go to a store or online, you purchase, unwrap and enjoy! Any other route is illegal and probably requires more work than the latter method.
    Last edited by atomik_sprout; Feb 18, 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Just had a thought....


  5. #69
    :Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    AnimeOnline.net
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    ...Yeah It's legal to download anime if they doesn't have any licensed but most of them good anime have it such a Lucky Star and Shakugan no shana.
    I'm also gonna point out that this is a big no-no!! But I'm not saying that I havent done it before either. Back in the days that I couldnt wait for my series to get licensed and distributed on DVD than...

    I'm not saying that no one doesnt do it because thats not true, to be honest I could almost say with certainty that most people here have DLed an fansubbed anime atleast once. For those that have never done so that I say, "GOOD FOR YOU!!" But I'm not gonna say that I dont understand what goes through the heads of the people that DL fansubs, etc. We dont get all the good stuff here in the US so...but let us do our part and support the anime studios and buy their other titles. That just may put them in the mood of putting up their other titles for grabs. (In my...rather, OUR dreams)

    Again, DLing anime is illegal and we're all doing it at our own risk. You get caught, than too bad. If you happened to DL a series and it gets licensed, do the right thing and delete it off your PC and go buy the DVDs...or rather just delete it.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

    |The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

  6. #70
    Otaku xsasukeuchiha is off to a good start xsasukeuchiha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    I tend to downlaod my anime from other sites because i dont see the point in paying 20 bucks for a series that u can just get for free online
    I am darkness

  7. #71
    :Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    AnimeOnline.net
    Posts
    1,759
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsasukeuchiha View Post
    I tend to downlaod my anime from other sites because i dont see the point in paying 20 bucks for a series that u can just get for free online
    ...the point is that it is ILLEGAL!!! Unless you've actually found a site thats got the correct licensing agreements from the creator, etc. *pssh* as any of those sites will give it out for free. If so than everyone will flock to that site.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

    |The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

  8. #72
    Otaku xsasukeuchiha is off to a good start xsasukeuchiha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: original or pirated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinku no kage View Post
    ...the point is that it is ILLEGAL!!! Unless you've actually found a site thats got the correct licensing agreements from the creator, etc. *pssh* as any of those sites will give it out for free. If so than everyone will flock to that site.
    yeah the site that i get it from is ***** and they have a video player that u can download that will search for anime from multiple websites
    I am darkness

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pirated DVD's Money for terrorism? or a good buy?
    By fled79 in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: May 20, 2007, 05:42 PM
  2. www.bad-site with pirated material.com
    By cereal_killer24 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 15, 2005, 04:50 PM
  3. Hello (what an original title...)
    By Forlorn in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Nov 09, 2005, 05:26 PM
  4. Why try to be original? Hello.
    By Malice in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 22, 2005, 08:20 PM
  5. The Original Sig Maker!
    By KayJayFromAust in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2005, 04:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts