+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Prerequisites For Watching an Anime?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Prerequisites For Watching an Anime?

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Let me try...

1st: gory deaths
    2nd: boobs
    3rd: gay people
    4th: an antihero

well crap... now all I can watch is Gantz ~_~;

I'd better not have standards at all.
    Those boobs won't by any chance be on the gay people right? if not...*zooms to go get a copy*

Here are mine, in no particular order.

1st: Good OP and ED themes
    2nd: Boobs and coke-bottle shaped females
    3rd: Humor (dirty and non-dirty)
    4th: Not going to go 100+ episodes

or simply, you just happen to be on tv on a night that I have nothing to do and no place to go.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Those boobs won't by any chance be on the gay people right? if not...*zooms to go get a copy*
    You got something against busty lesbians? >_<;

But in the case of Gantz: no. The boobs are seperate from the gay people. And the gay people generally die in a few rounds (and at least one, significantly less gay than when he began)... though the boobs haven't been faring much better of late...

Hell, no one lasts very long in Gantz (except Kurono)

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taelana View Post
    1. I'm pretty easy, but I do think the first thing I notice is the name (if its in English, and sometimes if it sounds really cool in Japanese).
    2. It has to make it beyond 5 mins or so mark. Meaning if in the first 5mins its too silly or goofy, I stop watching it...usually.
    3. Sometimes just sometimes it'll make it pass the first episode if the opening song/animation is really cool.
    4. It doesnt always matter, but if the animation is noticeably more detailed, i know i'll probably like it.

I know these dont really sound much like prerequisites, but like I said, I'm easy. It's not what makes me start watching it that matters, but what makes me keep watching it...lol
    i agree with you on th OP and ED thing .. an anime value very much increases in me when the OP and ED of that anime are cool and well taken care of ... plus for the first five minutes thing i think you should improve it because by doing that you would lose extreme good animes ,how? i'll give you an example ... let's see ... right! >>> The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya <<< if you have seen the first episode you would understand what i mean -- because all the first episode(except last three minutes) shows how SOS made that stupid film which will do a catastrophe in the public but the rest of the series is greatly amazing in the real meaning of the word
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Good story
    2. Lovable Characters
    3. Animation style...I am not to picky on this in fact I will take almost anything I just hate some styles (case in point Saikano)

Otaku Taelana may be famous one day Taelana may be famous one day Taelana's Avatar
    *tap tap tap...I'm right here...Dont you see me?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post
    plus for the first five minutes thing i think you should improve it because by doing that you would lose extreme good animes ,how? i'll give you an example ... let's see ... right! >>> The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya <<<
    That's true but I dont expect to see EVERY anime, so its cool. I really only discriminate against overly silly anime. You know an over silly anime within the first few mins of the first episode. This isnt always true, but it mostly is.

Dont get me wrong, I like comedy. I'm silly ma darned self...lol. But I dont like goofy in movies period. I mean it's not just the silly stuff. There's other reasons why I stop watching it and even if it makes it past my 5min mark, I may stop watching it anyway...like Love Hina. It made it past all my prerequisites and after watching a couple episodes it started to really irritate me. So nothing is infallible, but I stick with my list like it is 8)
    Mukuchi ni naruhodo suki yo yasashi sa doushitara mieru no
    daikishimete motto tsuyoku atataka na mune wo shinjiru yo
    Sayonara solitia ashita he

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taelana View Post
    That's true but I dont expect to see EVERY anime, so its cool. I really only discriminate against overly silly anime. You know an over silly anime within the first few mins of the first episode. This isnt always true, but it mostly is.

Dont get me wrong, I like comedy. I'm silly ma darned self...lol. But I dont like goofy in movies period. I mean it's not just the silly stuff. There's other reasons why I stop watching it and even if it makes it past my 5min mark, I may stop watching it anyway...like Love Hina. It made it past all my prerequisites and after watching a couple episodes it started to really irritate me. So nothing is infallible, but I stick with my list like it is 8)
    oh .. sorry if i had offended you ... i understand what you mean by "other reasons" .... to strengthen your saying that i'll give some examples so no one would suffer from what i suffered from watching them >>> Yumeria ,Demon Bane ,Diamond Dust Drop ,Hannoyoko Maids ... and a lot others and on top of that they're proudly considered animes ... sheesh -_-
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Otaku Kazaf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Hmm let me give this a try.In no real order...

-character development: You gotta have it. Some anime do it better that others but some just suck at it.

-love story: while it's not mandatory I really like it when there is that chance that one of the characters will end up liking each other or getting together. It can get you to really feel for some characters.

-Genre: whatever genre of anime it is, whether it be romance,action,drama, comedy, or just a mix. It has to be done right. Some anime try too hard and everything just feels forced. So I guess good scripting would be what I'm trying to say.

-Animation and Music: If it looks pretty I will probably definitely give it a better chance than some others. On that note...Nowadays studios are using a lot of CG in their anime. That looks great but sometimes I really miss the old school animations used in Planetes and Patlabor and the like.

As for music...it's not a must but It sure as hell gains some interest points.

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

The art plays a big part for me. I can't stand the art in One Piece or Lupin the Third, and as a result never gave them a chance and never will. I need a love story, teenagers, a high school, an episoide where everyone goes to a beach/hot springs, fan service (even if you have to look hard to find it), and last but not least, a girl has just got to cry at some point. I don't know if those are prereqisites, considering the only way to find out if those things are present or not is to actually watch, but I wouldn't enjoy an anime that doesn't have at least three of these things in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast