Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Prices of Anime! Do you Agree with them?

syd
    Otaku syd is off to a good start
    Thanks

The Prices of Anime! Do you Agree with them?

Lately has occur to me that the prices of anime are kind of high. Last year when I was collecting Initial D I got mad everytime I went to buy the next volume. I used to spend some where between $15 to $20 per dvd and the dvd only had 3 episodes. Now everytime I got to best buy, fry's or even any Anime store the prices per dvd range from $16 to $23. I'm sure these companies are making good money from us.

What do you guys think?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Prices of Anime! Do you Agree with them?

Quote Originally Posted by syd View Post
    Lately has occur to me that the prices of anime are kind of high. Last year when I was collecting Initial D I got mad everytime I went to buy the next volume. I used to spend some where between $15 to $20 per dvd and the dvd only had 3 episodes. Now everytime I got to best buy, fry's or even any Anime store the prices per dvd range from $16 to $23. I'm sure these companies are making good money from us.

What do you guys think?
    I think you should be happy you're not paying $1 a minute like in Japan.

A few years living in a country with $25-30 cds and $40-60 DVDs will change your tune real fast. (our DVDs also contain next to no extras, have no subtitles/other language options, and often lack menus entirely)

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

In my opinion, the prices are ridiculous. 3-4 episodes for $20 is ludicrous. 1 hour and 30 minutes-ish of entertainment(Probably a bit more with extra) for $20 is terrible value. As a video gamer, I can find equal value in a $50-60 game that would be considered an extremely short game(The average video game is 13-ish hours at least, so the game in question would have to be like half that to be equal with anime).

Plus, DVDs just shouldn't cost that much. A season of House goes for $50, and that will get me about 18 hours worth of entertainment at least.

I'm extremely cheap, so I'm a number cruncher like that when it comes to entertainment.

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

for anime, i conisder anything under 30 bucks to be fine. im use to pay 29bucks for a sub VHS...so going 20-29 for a dvd with 3-5eps each is fine, 35 for 2 episode, now thats pushing it...but yeah we are lucky to have the prices that we do in the US. tsurara is right about those prices, if anything its a little understated given the current strenght of the dollar, be thankful our dvds costs...
    Don't Panic

Otaku TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the prices aren't that bad for eariler boxed sets. I think you will fine buying a boxed set is SO MUCH cheaper than paying for single dvds. The series may not be brand new, but that does'nt mean that it is poorer quaility in most cases.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    In my opinion, the prices are ridiculous. 3-4 episodes for $20 is ludicrous. 1 hour and 30 minutes-ish of entertainment(Probably a bit more with extra) for $20 is terrible value. As a video gamer, I can find equal value in a $50-60 game that would be considered an extremely short game(The average video game is 13-ish hours at least, so the game in question would have to be like half that to be equal with anime).

Plus, DVDs just shouldn't cost that much. A season of House goes for $50, and that will get me about 18 hours worth of entertainment at least.

I'm extremely cheap, so I'm a number cruncher like that when it comes to entertainment.
    Just be glad your not buying Region 2 Anime DVDs in Japan, which average $40-$50 dollars for an average of 1 to 2 episodes (with no extras). In comparison to the original market prices, Region 1 Anime DVDs are a bargain.

And don't think that the US distributors are raking on wads of cash. Information on the GENEON release of 'Fighting Spirit' (Hajima no Ippo) was that after licensing, authoring, production costs, distribution and marketing, they had to sell 5,000 - 7,000 copies of every DVD in the series just to break even, but in reality, only 1,000-3,000 DVDs of each version was actually sold...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

All of you complaining about the US prices of Anime DVDs needs to shut the F*** up NOW!! Seriously. We're getting a GREAT deal on anime here compared to Japan. As mentioned by tsurara-san and Len, DVDs in Japan go anywhere from usually around 3,980~5,980yen, (around $40~$60) depending on series and they only contain 2,3 eps at BEST. Limited Box sets could usually run up to 6,980yen~10,000yen+ EASILY, thats about $70~$100+, and they're released in LIMITED QUANTITY!! Usually around 5,000~10,000 units.(which is a really small number for the JP otaku population) In the US its a LOT EASIER to obtain special box sets.

For example: "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" boxes, each for vol.1, 2 ,and 3, in the US runs for about $59.98 (Depending on where you buy it it could go down to $49.98 or even less!!) and so far all has included a bonus CD, iron print, pencil board, and another extra. Vol.1 was a really fancy box with Haruhi's ribbon, vol.2 had Haruhi's armband and bonus DVD, and vol.3 (scheduled for US release on 9/25) comes with a PILLOW CASE!!...and again with a bonus CD and DVD.

...try going to a Japanese site to see how much limited editions, collector's editions go for. C'mon.

The same can be said for goods. Especially figures. Like the figure of "Saber" of Fate Stay Night runs for around $25~30 here in the US and the original price in Japan? 6,980yen!! Thats around $70!! 2x of what we have to pay here!! Again, look at the prices of anime good available on US sites and compare it to the prices of JP sites, lets see what you think than.

To add there are items that are released in the US that are often out of print, manufacturing in Japan. So we're getting RARE goods usually for around 1/2 the price in Japan. I recall buying the box set of "Galaxy Angel" (the original first season) that came with the figures for $20 when it has been out of distribution in Japan for some time...I probably could get a nice deal if I ever put it up on sale(Which I WONT!!)

To add if you're patient enough to wait a year or so after DVD releases in the US the stores often put them on clearance from anywhere from $4+...can you say "A FANTASTIC DEAL!!"?

..if I ever have the chance to move back to Japan I'd still check up on US sites to look for rare goods for cheap prices.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

syd
    Otaku syd is off to a good start
    Thanks

I have never seen Anime titles for less than $8. Here in texas there is several places that sell anime and many of them sell used titles but the cheapest I seen goes for around $7.99. If you know any places that sell anime for $4 please let us know.
    Last edited by syd; Sep 09, 2007 at 07:06 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast