Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Prices of Anime! Do you Agree with them?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Prices of Anime! Do you Agree with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike'sRose View Post
    They told me that in America, we are paying almost twice the amount that people in Japan pay! For example - I was looking at 'Descendants of Darkness' box set, which was priced at about $65. They told me that in Japan, they were only paying about $40... maybe even less.
    Then they are lying to you or know absolutely nothing about Japan ^_^;

I'm guessing they're probably confusing Japan with CHINA, in which case there are no rights purchased to anything sold and entire series run from $12-40 on DVD. Of course, they are 100% pirated and often ripped directly from fansubs or translated by monkeys with typewriters.

retail DVDs in Japan are more than twice the price of DVDs in the United States: without exception.

As for your $40 Yami no Matsuei box set:
    Amazon.co.jp listing for vol. 1
    It retails for $50 per 2 episodes... the box set is out of print, but it cost nearly $300 for 13.

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble
    If your complaining about the expensive of a hobby that you chose with your own free will, perhaps you should try a hobby that is more affordable, such as collecting rocks...
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That was awesome. ^_^

I don't have a problem with paying 20 bucks a disc for anime at my online suppliers shop, (I get good deals). I went to town the other day and at Wally-Mart they wanted 20 bucks for some god awful horror film, so 20-30 isn't anything to complain about.

The only company that I have any complaints about is Geneon, and thats just because there boxsets give little to no discount from buying each disc individually.
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Otaku nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz may be famous one day nightboyz's Avatar
    Thanks

Frist off shoulden't this therad be a debate.... hm o well.
    Well S&D and intrest is what debates on how much an item will cost.
    If product is not selling then they must somtimes rase the price and thats just how thing go sometimes.
    Kamen Rider....DECADE!!!

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly how could it be a debate thread? We don't have control over the prices. I also agree that Geneon's stuff is abit pricey but it's still selling. So I don't really think the prices are all that bad. It's like Len said if you can't afford it you need to collect something else. Tho I hope you wouldn't pay for rocks.

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm saying that about Geneon because I've heard from tsurara that Geneon is in trouble. I've also read that ADV had taken over the sales and distibuting section of Geneon (or something like that). My complaint about the boxsets is, if they're not going to decrease the price more than 20 bucks or so. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to lower each individual disc by a few dollars, than wasting money releasing them in a new boxset (thin or otherwise)?

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post
    I'm saying that about Geneon because I've heard from tsurara that Geneon is in trouble. I've also read that ADV had taken over the sales and distibuting section of Geneon (or something like that). My complaint about the boxsets is, if they're not going to decrease the price more than 20 bucks or so. Wouldn't it be cheaper just to lower each individual disc by a few dollars, than wasting money releasing them in a new boxset (thin or otherwise)?
    Either way they would still be loosing money especially if they are in trouble. I'm sure that they just want to see just how much that they can get for each disk. Besides if you have already started collecting a series and in the middle of it the box set comes out are you going to finish the series or are you going to by the box set? I don't like to waste money so I by the single disks untill I'm done when something like that happens.

Thanks

Yes, but they would lose less money by not printing up a new run of disc that are slowing in sales for boxsets.

I cut and run when the boxset is cheaper, I did it with X tv series. I bought the first 2 and artbox, and Geneon suddenly stops putting them out. They release X TV remix on 5 disc instead of the 8 and then release a boxset, thats cheaper to buy than the remaining six disc I need to finish the show. Of course this has been a one time thing, I haven't seen Geneon trying to revisit the "remix".

I just don't follow what Geneon is thinking, I know there trying to make money or at least break even. All of there individual show disc, are the same prices as most ADV individual show disc (26.98 a disc) and the quality is as good or better than ADV. However when the show gets boxseted or thinpaked, ADV is prices are 35.98-80.98 and Geneon except for a few recent exceptions on their older products most Geneon boxsets are 80 and above.

Thanks

I'm not dissagreeing with you I think it's wrong also but I'm usually about five disks in when they do the box set. So me doing that is useless. That's what they hope for, that people are too far into the series that they don't want the set. So they make money either way. But unless you can talk to the head people at Geneon there is nothing we as consumers can do about it.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast