+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question I've always wondered...

Newbie The_Dark_Phantom may be famous one day The_Dark_Phantom may be famous one day The_Dark_Phantom's Avatar
    Thanks

Question A question I've always wondered...

I've been thinking about when did anime come into existence? Also what year did the first show ever appear on television? It's just weird that I've watched it(anime) for so many years but never really knew its origins.
    Fight for what you believe in.

Otaku yinyangAio1 is off to a good start yinyangAio1's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A question I've always wondered...

Well I don't know and I don't really care but here's the history on it if ya want it...

Anime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The History of Anime and Manga

I'm just glad that it's around...but it is kinda interesting if ya think about it...

oops...they saw us...*to you* Hi...you didn't just see that...

Devoted Otaku Ghattenpaw is off to a good start Ghattenpaw's Avatar
    Thanks

One of the earliest anime shows in the US was Speed Racer in the mid seventies. But Anime didn't start taking off until the late seventies early eighties when it developed a cult following in the colleges theaters. At that point it was the only place to see the newest anime. Yes, That's my generation. We loved the new anime so much we started collecting the shows when we could find them and letting our kids watch them also. Now anime is everywhere.

LONG LIVE ANIME!!!!!!

Anything is Pawsable
    Growing old is Mandatory-Growing up is Optional

Otaku ron119125 is off to a good start ron119125's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are talking about anime being shown on TV in the U.S. I can rember watching shows such as Astro Boy,Marine Boy,8th Man and Speed Racer in the mid to late 1960's. If you are talking in Japan I think anime shorts were appearing in the theaters in the mid 1930's and movies in the late 1930's early 1940's.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

If you're looking for general anime history, there's a lot of articles about it on the net, magazines, newspapers, yadda yadda. It's an easy search but expect to see varying claims...

I'm not gonna tell you the general history of when and how it started, i'd like to dive into detail and ramble on about the (the widely "accepted") history and origins of the stuff that you usually see in anime, manga, and beyond.

In accordance to "conventionally" accepted facts, the usual elements and kinds of anime shows (manga too) you see today emerged because of the influence of several anime back in the day. It is widely accepted that the mecha genre came into being because of the success of Tetsujin28 and Mazinger Z, some would even credit Astroboy for it. Getter Robo is considered to be the father of combining robots like Dancouga, Combattler V, and many more. Mobile Suit Gundam is held responsible for the Real Robots and a more "mature" storytelling in several mecha shows.

Captain Tsubasa is held responsible by most fans for the usually exaggerated presentation of sports in anime. The Sentai concept (a team is comprised of 3 or more members with different colors represnting them) is considered to have originated from Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman, the influence is beyond anime and the acclaimed Super Sentai genre of tokusatsu (and the power rangers) is a solid proof. Cyborg 009 is considered to be the originator of superpowered teams in anime. The Harem element present in a lot of anime can be said to have came into being because of the success of Tenchi Muyo. In 1984, the very first Hentai anime was released, it was called Lolita Anime.

Some stuff outside of anime and manga are also credited for their influence in the world of anime. The Daikaiju (giant monsters) that you've seen in a lot of anime -especially those from the super robot alley- are products of the Kaiju (Godzilla, Gamera, etc.) boom in Japan during the middle of the past decade. With the succes of Kamen Rider and other Henshin (transforming) Heroes in Tokusatsu and manga, the genre ventured into anime and the usual Henshin Hero elements are present in anime even to this day.

Western stuff are also credited for their influences in anime, the global sci-fi boom during the last century spawned shows such as Space Battleship Yamato, Macross, and other big names in the world of anime. Magical Girls are considered to be products of Tokusatsu and Cutie Honey but a lot of those so-called (or self-proclaimed) anime experts and anime fans agree that the TV series Bewithced should be held responsible.

There are a lot more that i should mention, but yeah, maybe next time, my post might be getting too long for you to read.
    Last edited by Hantei16; Jul 29, 2008 at 02:08 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hantei16 For This Useful Post:

The_Dark_Phantom (Jul 29, 2008)

Newbie The_Dark_Phantom may be famous one day The_Dark_Phantom may be famous one day The_Dark_Phantom's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Than I think I got some research to do. I guess you learn something new everyday.
    Fight for what you believe in.

Otaku babyman is off to a good start babyman's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, man has always been inspired by drawings, even in prehestoric times...
    Those drawings simple evolved and after a serious ammount of time, when man had the technology, they brought these drawings alive, or they animated them... That's how anime was born

I think I've read somewhere astroboy was one of the first anime series, could also be wrong

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

You see mr. Phantom, in order to really understand anime's history and origins (or at least get a grounded and "possible" assumption) you should not settle for the "what started what stuff", you should delve a bit more deeper to find the "whoS that started the whatS". There are lots of names to check out, people that are considered icons (for different reasons) in the industry.

There's more, but here's some of them...

Osamu Tezuka: The "god of manga", 'nuff siad...
    Go Nagai: Considered as the father of mecha, responsible for Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutie Honey, Violence Jack, and another long line of classics more notably in mechas.
    Shotaro Ishinomori: Considered to be one of the fathers of both anime, manga, and tokusatsu. Responsible for Cyborg 009, Skull Man, and a long line of Henshin Heroes.
    Eiji Tsuburaya: He's more of a Tokusatsu figure but he's the one who put Kaiju on the map, which in turn greatly influenced Japan's entertainment industry including anime and manga.
    Hayao Miyazaki: Considered by many as the one who redefined the image of anime in the west.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast