+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me sports or romance animes

Otaku babyman is off to a good start babyman's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: recommend me sports or romance animes

Hmm, why don't you watch umisho? It's funny as hell and it has some fanservice, if you don't mind that that is =D. I watched it and i liked it alot
    (it's about swimming XD)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyman For This Useful Post:

Haruko Haruhara (Jun 16, 2008)

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Since you're looking for romance and sports, Dear Boys (Basketball) and Suzuka (Track Athletics) offers a nearly equal combination of both. Suzuka tends to be more on the romantics while Dear Boys leans more into the sporty side of things but depicts it poorly. Personally, i don't really like both of these shows, Suzuka is just another thing on TV for me and Dear Boys holds the record as the worst anime series in the sports genre that i've ever seen.

..Now, what i've just said wasn't really a personal recommendation, it's just me giving names...

But here's something good anyway...

If you're looking for more realistic (but don't expect total realism) sports titles here's a short list with brief overviews:

Slam Dunk- A basketball themed series with excellent character development and good sequencing of events. There's a little romance involved here and there but the focus is mainly on the sport and on character development. It offers good explanation and information regarding the sport with a few exaggerations from time to time. References to real-life basketball stars and teams are ever-present but the lack of usage and focus on the bench players might just turn you off since it takes away a lot of realism involved in a basketball game. Arguably one of the best anime series in the sport genre. If you want something new, check out Buzzer Beater.

Capeta- An anime about cart racing, i already made a fat post about it somewhere here in the anime forum. Just look for it.

Major- I call it the "Slam Dunk of Baseball anime", it is equally good in aesthetic quality but not as popular. It is very informative and factual in almost all things baseball like pitching, batting, catching, bunts, the big leagues, etc.. If you wanna go old school, check out Miracle Giants Dome-kun, a baseball series made by the legendary mangaka and Tokusatsu titan Shotaro Ishinomori.

Fighting Spirit- The sport anime that might most likely be loved even by non-sporty folks. The combination of character development, character focus, the excellent depiction of the characters' lives, fights, realism, and varied rigorous training puts most sports titles into shame. It is a knockout punch not only in the genre of sports but in all anime. For a more classical depiction of boxing, check the show Ashita no Joe.

Captain Tsubasa- A soccer title and a legend in the world of anime, Captain Tsubasa is sport's answer to mecha's Mazinger Z. It is probably the most influential series in its genre. It is realistic but pretty notorious in its tendency to be totally exaggerated like Prince of Tennis. Like most sports titles, Cap is beefy in the characterization department and it involves good rivalry and drama. It is comprised of multiple seasons so you could check out the newer ones if you're not interested in seeing aged shows.

Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl- Obviously it's about Judo, i'm not gonna say that it has the same caliber as the ones i've mentioned above but it is still a pleasure to watch. It is currently airing in one of the local channels here in my area, i stumbled upon it and i got a little hooked.

This is getting too long, i'll just continue when a new post comes up.

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Why not go for the best of both worlds: Sazuka, its both a sports and Romance anime, but I would reccomend reading the manga, as the Anime only covers so much of the story line
    why sugar coat things, aceman? The anime version of Suzuka was just plain awful, but it is definately a great manga.

and as he said, it is both sports (track and field to be exact) and romance. and it is quite a compelling read
    Why hello there!

Thanks

Enough about realism, here's a few titles that are more into fantasy and total exaggeration:

Eyeshield21- It's about american football, while it involves the usual elements of sports anime and the said ballgame it becomes exaggerated almost all the time. The way the characters were drawn are heavily stylized and far off from realism. It is very entertaining and very popular but i don't consider it on par with others that i've mentioned.

Baki the Grappler- A mix martial arts anime that is more action than sport. It involves a little bit of demonology, monsters, dragon-ball like elements and many other unreal stuff. The art style may prove to be a turn off but it is just right for the theme of the show. The martial art moves in the show are realistic but the unrealistic ones are equally present. Baki the Grappler is an enjoyable show if you want to see total beatdown instead of sporty stuff and brilliant character development.

Shippu! Iron Leaguer- sports and mecha rolled into one. Interestingly unreal enough isn't it?

The Speed Racer(S)- You already know this one but you might just wanna check it out again including the other offshoots. You could also check out Cyber Formula GPX, it is quite the same but it involves more racetrack science.

Battle Ball- A combination of baseball, basketball, tennis and many others all rolled into one sport is Battle Ball's most striking feature. If you'd love to see bolts of lightning from the sky being used to power-up pitching prowess, a lot of trash talking, and a move called the "Brown Bear Killer Pitch"..Then see this show.

Some other sport shows that i've seen that you could check out are:

Monkey Turn(S) (speedboat racing)
    Offside, Hungry Heart Wild Striker (Soccer)
    Bowling King
    Kinnikuman(S), Tiger Mask(S) (wrestling)
    Prince of Tennis
    Forza Mario!, Dragon League (soccer shows with vermins and dinosaurs as characters)
    Grander Musashi(S) (Fishing)
    Hikari no Densetsu (Gymnastics)
    One-Pound Gospel (Boxing) (also involves romace)

..and some other titles that i don't really consider as sports (like Initial D, Air Gear, etc.)

Otaku ron119125 is off to a good start ron119125's Avatar
    Thanks

Romance animes try Love Hine a very good comedy romance Negima is another good romance anime however I liked the manga of this series better. A very good old standerd in ronance anime is the Tenchi Muyo series you cant go wrong with this one. I hope this helps good luck.

Teddy Bear =^_^= Bean Hunter Champion Frozen Rose may be famous one day Frozen Rose's Avatar
    Thanks

for action watch Darker Than Black ... it is very very good anime and i alwayes watching this anime there is something strange bout this anime which is very cool ...

for romance i don't know because i need one T_T

for comedy OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB .... i love this anime i have watched it for many times and i don't know how many times ....*happy* ^_^

drama i don't have one ,you are not he one who need it i need it T_T .....

ummm seeing black cats in the morning or someone telling you (please die) .... =^_^=
    http://www.animeonline.net/avatars/frozen-rose-62446.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1230225100
    My Dreams Become Like The Rainbow
    Love Like the Wind You Can't See It But You Can Feel It

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

The Suzuka manga was definitely pretty enjoyable. Not sure I liked the anime as much, though.

Slam Dunk is awesome, if you can take the slowness (sometimes it takes up to 4 episodes to complete a game). And there's also Buzzer Beater, which I thought was really cool (think Slam Dunk + fantasy). They're both by Inoue Takehiko. Both AMAZING manga, and not too bad anime.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    The Suzuka manga was definitely pretty enjoyable. Not sure I liked the anime as much, though.

Slam Dunk is awesome, if you can take the slowness (sometimes it takes up to 4 episodes to complete a game). And there's also Buzzer Beater, which I thought was really cool (think Slam Dunk + fantasy). They're both by Inoue Takehiko. Both AMAZING manga, and not too bad anime.
    Taking away the "slowness" of the games will also take away a lot of the drama, information, and the in-game explanations that Slam Dunk is know for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast