Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Romeo x Juliet

Newbie Lady Asphyxia is off to a good start Lady Asphyxia's Avatar
    Thanks

Romeo x Juliet

No matter how you feel about Shakespeare (or, for that matter, GONZO), I defy you to watch the trailers for this show without drooling.

Romeo x Juliet, like Studio GONZO's Gankutsuou, appears to be a futuristic and/or fantastical adaptation of its source material (set in Neo Verona, a city floating in the sky, and including what rather resembles a Pegasus of some sort). They've obviously taken some liberties with the story--for instance, Juliet now cross-dresses as a knight to fight against the ruling Montague family. (I'm not marking that as a spoiler, since it's in the trailer and other promotional material.)

It seems as if they've got some great people on board for this project, and the trailer really is to die for. Also, Tybalt looks totally hot. It has already started to air in Japan.
    ~Obviously you can't chat about anything...even if you explain yourself~

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: RomeoxJuliet

Well it really does look good... I'll definetely watch it when I can... I mean everything will be better than the Lonardo di Caprio movie...
    I might like it even though I'm the person that ussualy likes the book better (my imagination usualy creates a better movie in my mind than it comes out on the screen),this interpretation looks quite interesting (well it's anime after all).

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Banned Jamie5192 is off to a good start Jamie5192's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks like a good movie but right now we are reading the play in class... the only line i can recall is romeo romeo wherefore art tho romeo... i think that it is the most remembered line in the play.

Thanks

The storyline has its characters from William's Play and it has it overall major plot. But the way it goes throughout the show is very different and interesting. Romeo and Juliet where one of my least favorite plays, but anime can always change my mind (lol.). I've downloaded the few episodes already and they are wonderful.

Newbie Ahiko is off to a good start Ahiko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5192 View Post
    It looks like a good movie but right now we are reading the play in class...
    It's actually an anime series, but no one really knows exactly how many episodes it will run or if Gonzo will be able to pull off a 2-season series since the events in Shakespeare's play spanned only less than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni @ Random Curiosity: randomc.animeblogger.net
    I believe I read somewhere that this was slated for 2 seasons (24-26 episodes), but I can’t seem to find that link anymore.
    I'm in love with this series and I really don't know what to expect of it, but so far, I've loved every episode. (Episode 4 aired just a few hours ago.)

The anime would probably best describe "intricate simplicity" because just from watching it, the show seems so simple, but it conveys all of the emotions and the story really well (intricately). From watching it, you can feel Juliet's suffering and Romeo's curiosity, understand their innocence, and makes it really easy to relate to how they're feeling and thinking.

The only thing I find really depressing is that I love the characters so much but everyone's knows and is expecting that they'll die eventually. :[ But their death is what makes Romeo and Juliet what it is.

I suppose Romeo could be interesting in the end, but again, he'd better die, Juliet too.
    The death is precisely what makes R&J so good to begin with. I wouldn't mind some plot changes along the way in the middle, but a final tragic death for both of them is neccesary.
    あたしと一緒に遊びたい~

Thanks

Yes, it is true that many expect the same ending as all the other Romeo and Juliets...but even so it is destined to be, I know the ending will be grand and unque the way they do it.

I forgot to mention this before, but Junichi Sato is credited as the sound director, which makes me wonder if they're paying particular attention to the acting or are planning on taking some kind of special approach with it. I was incredibly impressed by the ensemble acting in Red Garden (a current GONZO series); it would be wonderful if they could pull off something like that again. I think the lines in Red Garden were pre-recorded, which isn't the norm for anime.

GONZO can pull out amazing animation when they feel like it, but consistency really isn't their thing. I suspect that they generate a lot of money by pumping out mediocre (and mediocre-looking shows), then spend some of that on higher-end shows that won't necessarily be big successes. You can usually tell when they're lavishing more attention on a series, though--in that sense, Romeo x Juliet would probably fall in the same category as stuff like Gankutsuou and Last Exile.

Also a lot of Shakespeare characters (or at least names) from other plays are getting thrown into this--Francisco from Hamlet, Curio from Twelfth Night, Cordelia from King Lear, Antonio from The Merchant of Venice and Hermione from A Winter's Tale. Apologies if I mis-identified any of those. Plus a dude named William who, by pure coincidence, works as a playwright.

The plot thickens?

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw the first episode of this... can't say I dig the cross-dressing and flying horses... flying horses?? It reminds me of Zorro mixed with The Neverending Story.

Otaku animemeg may be famous one day animemeg may be famous one day animemeg's Avatar
    Thanks

I have seen like 20 seconds of one episode and thought it was VERY beautiful. I am actually excited to see this one, I won't lie but it will be a bit before I get to it

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast