+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (So long Mr. Despair)

「Someone」 Goo Slasher Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion, Flower Girl Champion KuwiRules145 is off to a good start KuwiRules145's Avatar
    Thanks

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (So long Mr. Despair)

Has anyone seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or per say "So long Mr. Despair"?? (Or was it Goodbye, Despair Teacher???)

If so what are your thoughts on it???
    Whats your favorite character????

And if you haven't watch it I would recommend you to watch! It's really funny! ^^ And the animation is like XXXholic! ^^

What I think about it is that it's really funny and it has it's random moments!!! ^^ (I'm just really into it!!!!)

And my favorite Character is the Sensei! Nozomu Itoshiki. He really makes me laughs and he keeps saying he's going to kill himself yet he never is able to though! ^^
    「When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead」

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (So long Mr. Despair)

I've been following the anime adaption from the start now and it's pretty funny stuff. Some of the girls get on my nerves (Kafuka Fūra!) but the cultural references, word plays and Zetsubou Sensei himself make up for it.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm reading the manga... but I only got one chapter in. It hurts my brain.

Not that it isn't adorable: it is. It's just also incredibly... precious. Which is annoying. The author clearly thinks himself the cleverest man alive and the pace NEVER slows down enough to provide breathing room. It seems to be constant lay-it-on-thick verbal schtick. Every character is a gimmick. Every name has a double-meaning and/or series of elaborate jokes tied to its deconstruction. The setup is a gimmick. The setting is a gimmick.

Is there ever any actual substance? Or is this something that I'm going to be reading just to remind myself that I will always suck at Japanese?

How do non-Japanese people even understand this stuff?! O_o;

I mean... in chapter 1 there were at least 4 jokes that ONLY someone who'd lived in Japan or could read Japanese near-fluently could possibly understand. Even if someone explains something to you in a cascade of cultural notes: I'm not sure that makes it funny or if it just makes you give the obligatory "oh, it's Japanese so it must be funny" chuckle O_o;

Thanks

Some of the jokes and references are indeed way beyond what the average non-Japanese anime viewer will understand but nobody ever ordered you to analyse it to shit. You get out of it what you can.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Some of the jokes and references are indeed way beyond what the average non-Japanese anime viewer will understand but nobody ever ordered you to analyse it to shit. You get out of it what you can.
    The point it: it's a lot of sweat and tears to get to the entertainment part ^^;

Reading it anyway... I suppose watching it is a bit more passive.

I'm not getting all of the jokes. But I'm working damn hard for the ones I do get. And that makes me want to take an asprin and a nap.

But I hated Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga too (for a lot of the same reasons)... but everyone else thought they were wonderful.

I don't hate the series (yet), I've only read one chapter. But that chapter took me 15 minutes and felt like running a marathon. Skimming through the rest implies that every chapter is just as densely packed and likely to make me want to pull a Zetsubou Sensei myself.

Not for beginners... in any case.
    Not particularly friendly to intermediate either... >_<;

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    The point it: it's a lot of sweat and tears to get to the entertainment part ^^;

Reading it anyway... I suppose watching it is a bit more passive.

I'm not getting all of the jokes. But I'm working damn hard for the ones I do get. And that makes me want to take an asprin and a nap.

But I hated Azumanga Daioh and Excel Saga too (for a lot of the same reasons)... but everyone else thought they were wonderful.

I don't hate the series (yet), I've only read one chapter. But that chapter took me 15 minutes and felt like running a marathon. Skimming through the rest implies that every chapter is just as densely packed and likely to make me want to pull a Zetsubou Sensei myself.

Not for beginners... in any case.
    Not particularly friendly to intermediate either... >_<;
    So the manga sucks for not being funny for the average person as well? I can see the point in that.
    I liked Excel Saga though, it has humour for pretty much everyone.
    On the other hand, I really disliked Azumanga Daioh. Mainly because it's boring and it tries to get 90&#37; of its humour out of showing (supposedly) cute beings doing (supposedly) cute things. Kimura sensei was the sole beacon of light in the entire series for me.

I think the Zetsubou Sensei anime is a lot more Excel Saga than it is Azumanga Daioh.

+ Reply to Thread