Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sci Fi Channel announces Anime late night block

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Sci Fi Channel announces Anime late night block

Grumble Grumble Grumble

After all this time, it appears that 'Adult Swim' is finally getting come cable competition for the late night Anime audience....
    In an attempt to lure younger viewers and expand the reach of its brand, Sci Fi Channel is launching Ani-Monday, a two-hour late-night block of anime programming. Set to premiere June 11, the slate will put the network in direct competition with Cartoon Network's late-night ratings powerhouse Adult Swim, which programs anime as well.
    Sci Fi Targets Late Night - 5/7/2007 - Broadcasting & Cable:

So far, they've only announced a Monday night Anime block, but this can easily be expanded!!! Features to be shown will be out of the licensed collection of Manga Entertainment. So, do you think this is a good thing?, and how will Adult Swim react to this???
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Sci Fi Channel announces Anime late night block

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

After all this time, it appears that 'Adult Swim' is finally getting come cable competition for the late night Anime audience....

Sci Fi Targets Late Night - 5/7/2007 - Broadcasting & Cable:

So far, they've only announced a Monday night Anime block, but this can easily be expanded!!! Features to be shown will be out of the licensed collection of Manga Entertainment. So, do you think this is a good thing?, and how will Adult Swim react to this???
    To tell you the truth, I don't think is is going to make any difference. Hell Spike T.V. and VH1 have been running some little episodes of anime for awhile I believe and they didn't match up. I honstely don't really think Tech T.V. matched up to Adult Swim when they started running their anime night program.

It is all good with me though. More channels with Anime? That is all good in my book. Adult Swim has nothing to worry about.

Ona side note..it's the Sci Fi channel! I mean if they want to target a younger audience..more power to em, but Adult Swim is on a channel dedicated to animation. I know most of those movies on Sci Fi show a bunch of stuff that looks similar to cartoons, but that is just lack of budject and producing.

Newbie Xephon may be famous one day Xephon may be famous one day
    Thanks

Competition is always a good thing for the consumer. It breeds innovation in what might otherwise be a stagnant monopoly. Of course, that would require Adult Swim to view this block as an actual threat. It will take several weeks to see if it will even take off.

If I was Adult Swim, I would play the "wait and see" game at the moment. 1 night a week for 2 hours isn't much compared to 6 nights a week at 3+ hours a shot. Granted, when Adult Swim first started out it was only airing 1 night a week, but then again it was the only game in town. If "Ani-Monday" does by some weird chance take off, I'm sure Adult Swim will have been watching it closely enough to counter it before it gets too big.

So yeah, in the end, its a good thing for us. Should be more late-night anime available as it is. Anime is no longer the tiny niche market it once was, it was only a matter of time before someone realized this and picked up on it.

Otaku AngelFlow may be famous one day AngelFlow may be famous one day
    Thanks

I don't a adult swim would take it as a threat to their anime time. Anyways if sci fi is gonna do that then its all good for me.^_^ But it doesn't mean I'll stop watching adult swim.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelFlow View Post
    I don't a adult swim would take it as a threat to their anime time. Anyways if sci fi is gonna do that then its all good for me.^_^ But it doesn't mean I'll stop watching adult swim.
    Yeah Adult Swim has a fairly large fan base and I highly doubt anyone is going to choose Sci Fi over it. If they arn't too lazy just to change channels, they have been watching anime on that for too many years to suddenly drop it.

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't see why SCiFI would only do one noght a week for 2 hours. How do they plan to challenge adult swim with that amount of time. I can understand them not wanting to put to much on this if there wasn't any other anime stations in America. But adult swim an on demand have been successful so why not go on 5 days with anime. If they were courageous enough to so something like that then we might not have to worry about adult swim pulling our strings with shows like 'Saved by the bell' and 'Pee WEE'.
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Newbie Beowulf Belmont may be famous one day Beowulf Belmont may be famous one day
    Thanks

I do not think Adult Swim is going to be threatened at all by Sci-Fi's new anime block at all. In fact, in my personal opinion, I think that the only way that Adult Swim is ever to be threatened at all is if a Major Cable Company like NBC decides to start airing a popular anime on primetime TV, which of course, will never, ever happen.
    The trick is to know when to walk away and know when to run!!!

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell yeah! The Sci Fi channel used to show anime shows all the time 10 or 11 years ago but they stopped suddenly. I guess it's never too late to redeem yourself.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast