Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shouldn't dub?

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Shouldn't dub? (Please read/understand 1st post)

I'm not asking for "The dub can't be as good as the original Japanse, that's why!" comments. I'm not looking for "Because dubs suck!" reasons.

I'd like to put the question out there: Do you have any specific anime series that you feel should not be english dubbed?

My own example is BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. I think that dubbing this anime, while yes, it would be so cool, would ruin parts of the series. The series is very realistic, I believe, in showing the mix of English and Japanese in Japan. Every now and then, characters will have conversations with one person in English, and then another person in Japanese. I feel that if they dubbed this, it would lose some of its unique appeal because then the English parts would cease to stand out.

Does anyone else have their own example of a series that perhaps should not be dubbed (for reasons other than "because dubs suck", etc)? Seriously, if you only have "i don't like dubs, subtitled are better" as a reason, please don't even bother posting.

My question is semi-serious about reasons other than "dubs suck" being legitimate enough against dubbing a series.
    Last edited by LittleHobbit13; Apr 30, 2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Otaku AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound may be famous one day AniManga Hound's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Shouldn't dub?

Well, dubbing japanese written and animated things is difficult. The languages are completely different, so it's hard to get the tones of voice and the accents and such just the way the japanese creator intended. With most dubbed series, it seems to me that the time wasn't taken to make eveything (or anything, in most cases) perfect.

Anyway, for that reason, I believe most series shouldn't be touched, dub-wise. So, instead, I'll give you the one anime I've seen, in which the dubbing was good-excellent. Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

I thought the dubbing was fantastic by most standards.

Finishing up. I think english speakers should just suck it up and read the subtitles. You get all the orginally intended joy, minus the never intended crappy voice acting. What more could you want?

Keep eating so many dogs and you're bound to be Communist

Otaku Eiden may be famous one day Eiden may be famous one day Eiden's Avatar
    Destiny.. well somewhere along those lines
    Thanks

i have never had a problem with dubbed anime, until naruto came out. bleh, it was horrible everything was so off.

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

well there is a big hype about dubbed anime, and how horrid it has become., i.e Naruto, Inuyasha., i particualrly find these animes quite bad dub wise.., but should some anime be restricted from being dubbed., to a certain extent yes, but i would say no.,There are some animes that can really have a beter impact when they are dubbed., Hellsing for that matter has to be my favourite dubbed anime thus far., sometimes in Jap, they dont have words the english language has., so it relies in having the jap v.a (voice actor) to say it in english but with a japanese accent., sometimes it can be quite un-imtimidating if the character is supposed to be the dominate bad guy., for example, in the jap vers of Hellsing(Andrews, that cathloic priest guy) will say stuff like "AMEN!",. and it doesnt sound the least bit evily intimidating., while in the Eng dub., he has more power and tone., not to mention he has a Irish accent (which in the jap. it could only be noticble via subbs, but even that bares to be unfufulling),.

thus people can only dub anime hoping it will be suitible for that anime., the only problem i have is they use to many of the same voice actor in the dubbed anime., like Inuyasha's v.a (richard cox) is in practically in every dubbed anime, not to mention some amercian cartoon shows (being ian *shudders*)

well all they can hope for maybe they'll hit one hit wonder., props to Hellsing and Seras Victoria's beautiful voice acting ^_^( the british is jsut to die for),having said that i didnt like Alucards dubbed voice to much.,

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

If it were up to me, dubbing would not exist.

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    If it were up to me, dubbing would not exist.
    Why? You should give a reason. And it better not be (truthfully) the ones I said I'm not looking to see for this question.
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont' like dubbs because i think they take away from the original japanese ver. While u can still convey some of the emotions in english they just don't seem the same at all.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

thats true i find a good break down (like when a character is histerically crying and souting) i find its hells more emotional and "powerful?"., yes ., when in a dub its hard to find it convincing., its actually amazing how the jap language is so dramtic at times ^_^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast