Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Status of Anime in Your Area

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

The Status of Anime in Your Area

I've been thinking about this for quite some time now i'm just either lazy enough to start threads or pre-occupied enough to remember to create this thread. How well does anime do in your area, i mean some parts of the world might not know what anime is..or might not be getting anime at all.

I'm gonna talk about America first, i haven't been there since '04...We have a house down at Alton, Il., it's a nice old-skool town just by the border of Illinois and Missouri. Back in the day when i was there, anime isn't really a big thing as far as i know it. Except for the ones on TV(CN, etc.), you could hardly find Anime stuff back there. But hey, that was '04...I might get back in a few months or so and see if there are any improvements.

On the other hand, i could line up Philippines as one of the next best countries to find anime, next to Japan and SoKor of course. Anime was a hit here ever since the 70s, shows like Voltes V and Yu Yu Hakusho became symbols of generations. We have two all-anime channels, and lots of channels gives anime a good amount of airtime. We pretty much get all the newer animes as well but we're a bit late, a few months of episodes or so...Finding videos is pretty easy wether you embrace the dark side(bootlegs) or keep it clean and legal. With lots of hobby shops capitalizing on the success of anime, all related merchandise isn't hard to find either. This country isn't fond of having cliques so stereotyping anime as kiddie and dorky is almost nonexistent.

As for the negatives, even though we get all these new stuff on tv and even the classics, re-airs are pretty common for the local networks which makes it pretty pathetic to see a classic getting milked over and over again. And with lots of anime being aired here, multiple airing is not uncommon, you could see a Eureka Seven on this channel and see it on another.

So what about your area?......

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Re: The Status of Anime in Your Area

Well, I live on the western side of the Great Southern Land, Australia, & if you know where to look, you can find it. If not, well you better talk to someone who does know.

Electronic Boutique, a computer game store, used to sell Anime, but they're decided to stop for some reason, but not before I got all of Burst Angel. The other well known place that sells Anime is JB HiFi, with a good amount of it, just not in episode order most of the time, having eps 1,3 & 7 of this one while only the last of that. Still, good variety, just too inconsistent with getting entire series for me to buy from them.

There are more reliable places around though. A bookstore in Perth called Borders sells not only Anime, but they have a large collection of Manga, having several rows of 3m long by 1.5m high shelves devoted to it on both sides. I've gotten a few Manga from there. However the place that has the most Manga as well as some harder to get Anime (sometimes including some hentai if that ticks your clock) is Empire Toys. Imagine 5 1.5m high by 6/7m long shelves fully loaded with Manga, each series complete from start to finish. I'll admit, I really should go there myself to find some Manga I'm looking for, it's just funding holding me back...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Well... around my peers anime is "for kids" only because is a cartoon... I just stopped to argue that. There is no point for me to, they have their position.... period! lol Anyways, even though most of the people see the anime as for kids, on the area I am living at anime is well sold.... and the buyers are not "only" kids... if actually there were kids buying it....
    On the big bookstores there is anime everywhere. To get to a big bookstore... i have to travel an hour... *sight* but heck is worth it.
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, it's more towards the teens of my area, and more or less it's the more "troubled" teens that watch or read anime and manga. But there a few outside the barrier and then some who don't even know it's an anime. But overall it's merely a small majority of the people I know. I being one of those people as well.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Otaku FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I grew up in Arkansas, for those of you that don't know that's in the United States; ha-ha!, and I still live here. When I was in school the only people that even watched Anime were considered nerds and so because of that no one watched it. Also, here the only way to get anime is to watch it on Cartoon Network, Download it online, or look desperately for a place that sells DVDs. Hardly though would you find a place that sells Anime besides the usual poke-mon or Yu-Gi-Oh. That's about it here.

Newbie amatsubu is off to a good start amatsubu's Avatar
    In the most corrupt, and scheming boarding school ever...cause my parents hate me v.v
    Thanks

Unfortuantely my parents shipped me off to a boarding school, and in a way i'm an outcast simply because I over indulge in the wonders of anime and mangas. So in a way i'm alone and nobody cares v.v

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

I live in San Francisco - And there's actually a pretty big following here.
    But you just never really see the other fans - Unless you go to Japan Town.

I get the "it's for kids" thing a lot... Or I get, "What are you watchin'? Sailor Moon?" Yeah... Because in Sailor Moon people are getting decapitated and disemboweled. Sheesh. lol!!

The sad part is, when I find anime fans, they are annoying 11 year old Naruto fan girls. I mean... ANNOYING. ((No offense if you are a Naruto fan girl))
    I mean, I have fandoms too... But I'm not annoying. I can have an intelligent conversation about anime without it being scary fangirl.

>.>;;;

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike'sRose View Post
    ... The sad part is, when I find anime fans, they are annoying 11 year old Naruto fan girls. I mean... ANNOYING. ((No offense if you are a Naruto fan girl))
    I mean, I have fandoms too... But I'm not annoying. I can have an intelligent conversation about anime without it being scary fangirl.

>.>;;;
    You do know that there is a major Anime Convention held in San Jose that's coming up a few months time...

FanimeCon 2008
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast