Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Newbie TheZorch is off to a good start TheZorch's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Its a question as easy as "do you want paper or plastic?" Some otaku prefer subtitled anime in its original Japanese dialogue with English subtitles. Others like English Dubbed anime better. Of course, not all dubs are created equal and sometime sitting through one of those shows is an exercise in audio torture. So which do you prefer subbed or dubbed?

As for me, I sometimes prefer the subtitled versions of an anime but I'll also watch the dub ... unless it is really awful, then I switch back to the original Japanese track with English subtitles.

--TheZorch
    Last edited by TheZorch; Jan 16, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Grammar error

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

I prefer subbed. It's in the original Japanese, and the scripts aren't changed; they're translated, and it's presented the way the creators intended for audiences... Deaf audiences. XD Shows are very different to watch without subs.

However, there is one exception where I'm going to prefer dubs:
    Samurai Pizza Cats. But I can't really call it a dub; the scripts are totally rewritten, and if you've seen fansubs, the show is full of jokes concerning Japanese culture and puns.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Otaku TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't have a prefrence when it comes to dubs or Subs. A lot of anime is only in subtitled which does'nt bother me. But if dubbed is an option I useally watch it dubbed.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by TheZorch View Post
    Its a question as easy as "do you want paper or plastic?"
    Ahh, that takes me back to my very first job.

Anywho, I prefer watching subtitled anime. Most dubbed anime has either good voice overs with the occasional horrible voice that screams, "Corny super-villian" until your eardrums pop. But then there's the dubbed anime that makes me wonder if we have any good voice over talent outside the celebrity community.

There ARE some rare gems out there, I'll admit. There are some dubbed anime that I only watch dubbed. Like 'Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie'. Not all the voices are good, but the music is better than the subtitled version. Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty good as well (in my opinion). But then again, there are certain anime series that I'll only watch in English for nostalgic purposes.

Overall though, I like watching subbed anime more. I guess it's because I like being able to hear the original voices of the characters. That and I'm trying to learn Japanese, so it kinda helps. Just to hear words you recognize or maybe even learn a couple new ones.

Otaku Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine's Avatar
    Thanks

I say 100% subbed! I really love the Japanese language and it just add so much to hear the anime characters speak in Japanese. The voices for the characters are most of the time very matching. For example, I think Orochimaru's voice in Naruto is great. His evil voice fits him perfectly. So I rather read and hear the actual voices, then see any anime dubbed.

|| I forgot that I might see so many beautiful things - Dreamvisions ||

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

It really don't matter to me ill watch it in sub or dub any way i can get it really lol.But subs are much better for the voicing.But then again reading the subs you can miss some of what your watching.

Dubs just about all the voice overs are off and not that good.Tho there have bin instances i have come across such as the Last Exile which was a great dub i thougth as well as a watch.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Newbie nickhoge is off to a good start nickhoge's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll go for subbed!

The anime's have much more added with the voice acting than you might think. Changing the voices to those of other people will make the anime loose a part of it's feeling. For example: Chi in Chobits, I accidentally watched the english dubbed version of an episode a while ago. The way she talked sounded really fake and totally diffrent from the original voice acting.

Also there is a learning thing involved. Dubbing reduces knowledge of other languages, if you read what is being said in another language you will slowly start learning that language. If it' s dubbed, you just hear it in your own and be stuck with that =.= For some satisfying, for me definitely not O.O

Hope that covers it xD

Newbie TheZorch is off to a good start TheZorch's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine View Post
    I say 100% subbed! I really love the Japanese language and it just add so much to hear the anime characters speak in Japanese. The voices for the characters are most of the time very matching. For example, I think Orochimaru's voice in Naruto is great. His evil voice fits him perfectly. So I rather read and hear the actual voices, then see any anime dubbed.
    His theme music is creepy too. I watched Naruto for the first time as a fansub and it sent chills down my spin ... and it sounds great when you got a subwoofer. Orruchimaru's dubbed voice doesn't carry the creep factor at all, you gotta hear him in Japanese to feel the hair on the back of your neck stand up on end. I'd say he was one of the best anime villains I seen yet.

--TheZorch

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post

Ahh, that takes me back to my very first job.

Anywho, I prefer watching subtitled anime. Most dubbed anime has either good voice overs with the occasional horrible voice that screams, "Corny super-villian" until your eardrums pop. But then there's the dubbed anime that makes me wonder if we have any good voice over talent outside the celebrity community.

There ARE some rare gems out there, I'll admit. There are some dubbed anime that I only watch dubbed. Like 'Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie'. Not all the voices are good, but the music is better than the subtitled version. Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty good as well (in my opinion). But then again, there are certain anime series that I'll only watch in English for nostalgic purposes.

Overall though, I like watching subbed anime more. I guess it's because I like being able to hear the original voices of the characters. That and I'm trying to learn Japanese, so it kinda helps. Just to hear words you recognize or maybe even learn a couple new ones.
    A good friend of mine has the complete, $900, Pimsler Japanese audio CD language course. There are two parts to the set. Part way through part 1 you learn the basics of the language then the rest of the course is all in Japanese. He put the whole thing on his iPod.

BTW, I love your Genma-Panda sig image.

--TheZorch
    Last edited by Chiefblackhammer; Jan 17, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast