Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by koga23 View Post
    It really don't matter to me ill watch it in sub or dub any way i can get it really lol.But subs are much better for the voicing.But then again reading the subs you can miss some of what your watching.

Dubs just about all the voice overs are off and not that good.Tho there have bin instances i have come across such as the Last Exile which was a great dub i thougth as well as a watch.

well i think it does matter! because more than 3/4 of dubbed are awfully done .. some i'm siding with subbed ... much better with the original voices ,but again there's exceptions to this rule ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Newbie TheZorch is off to a good start TheZorch's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post

well i think it does matter! because more than 3/4 of dubbed are awfully done .. some i'm siding with subbed ... much better with the original voices ,but again there's exceptions to this rule ...
    Typically I've found that most ADV, Bandai Entertainment, AnimEgo and Viz dubs tend to be pretty decent. A few from Media Blasters weren't too bad. The dub for Figure 17 isn't too bad. The dub for Slayers though could have been better. And, I've heard that Funimation is actually getting better. At least they brought back MOST of the original Tenchi Muyo Ryu-Ohki cast for the US release of OAV 3. I can understand why they couldn't get Ryoko's VA Petrea Burchard because she's often pretty busy doing Broadway or walk-on extra parts on TV shows. This new VA they got, Mona Marshall, wasn't too bad but she wasn't awful either. I was actually quite surprised that they didn't really screw the 3rd OAV over. My guess is they've begun to listen to what the fans want, which is a good thing.
    Final Fantasy XI Info
    Katsuhito - Male Hume Beastmaster/White Mage
    Rank 5 Citizen of Bastok
    Server - Asura

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

for me, it depends..but i prefer dubs in a 55-45 margin.

dubbed or subbed, there are really good ones and bad ones...some dubs tend to get so silly and voices can be very annoying....bad voice execution can really ruin the pleasure of watching, i've quit on watchin lots of shows just because of this.

as for subs, really bad grammatical errors and misplaced sentences or phrases are not uncommon...of course everybody commits errors in grammar but somehow it still is understandable...in subbing however, errors like these can be very unpleasant and can be totally misleading. even when you can't understand some of the japanese voices you'll know instinctively that a really bad error has just happened. another problem that i commonly encounter with subs are the fonts, some are too small to be read properly by people without 20/20 vision...and some have really bad color schemes that can make it hard to read...

but if both can be at its best, i would go for dubs...

Slippery When Wet~ Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion, Togy Ball Champion highteckdudu is off to a good start highteckdudu's Avatar
    The wonderfull world of Minnesota! And I mean that!
    Thanks

At first, I Loved the dubed ones, because i was layz and I didnt want to read the subitles, but now i like to read the subtitles, and found out that when they changed it to english i found out that they edited some of it, and left things out, so now i prefer subed!
    I tryed to see things from your point of view but i cant seem to get my head that far up my ass!
    Visit www.highteckdudu.deviantart.com!

Otaku Bowling Champion Tifa Lockhart is off to a good start
    Thanks

Both are fine with me.
    There are both good and bad things about subs and dubs. But I guess the subs outweigh the dubs. Why? Well, I think most of them sound better than the English versions. Furthermore, I get to learn some Japanese terms. Like, how awesome is that? Lol. =)

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheZorch View Post
    A good friend of mine has the complete, $900, Pimsler Japanese audio CD language course. There are two parts to the set. Part way through part 1 you learn the basics of the language then the rest of the course is all in Japanese. He put the whole thing on his iPod.

BTW, I love your Genma-Panda sig image.

--TheZorch
    That's interesting. I'd get that set if I had the loot. >_< I do, however have a five disc set that teaches the basics. Well, actually I don't have the discs, I checked them out from the library and then copied them to my X-Box.

Thanks BTW for your compliment on my Genma sig. It's one of my favorite works. ^_^

Newbie TheZorch is off to a good start TheZorch's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hantei16 View Post
    as for subs, really bad grammatical errors and misplaced sentences or phrases are not uncommon...of course everybody commits errors in grammar but somehow it still is understandable...in subbing however, errors like these can be very unpleasant and can be totally misleading. even when you can't understand some of the japanese voices you'll know instinctively that a really bad error has just happened. another problem that i commonly encounter with subs are the fonts, some are too small to be read properly by people without 20/20 vision...and some have really bad color schemes that can make it hard to read...

but if both can be at its best, i would go for dubs...
    I bought a box set of Tenchi Muyo GXP "imported" and it had the worst English subtitles I've ever seen. Sometimes I wonder if the Fansubbers can sub anime better than some the commercial publishing houses. At least they tend to do subtitles with style.
    Final Fantasy XI Info
    Katsuhito - Male Hume Beastmaster/White Mage
    Rank 5 Citizen of Bastok
    Server - Asura

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZorch View Post
    I bought a box set of Tenchi Muyo GXP "imported" and it had the worst English subtitles I've ever seen. Sometimes I wonder if the Fansubbers can sub anime better than some the commercial publishing houses. At least they tend to do subtitles with style.
    If it was 'imported' it sounds like you were a sucker for bootleg import. Funimations owns the rights to the 'official' US distribution...

The Official Tenchi Muyo GXP Anime Website from FUNimation:
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast