Closed Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Subbed or Dubbed: Which Do You Prefer?

I think it can depend on the genre. I can easily say that comedies are one hell of a lot funnier in one's native language than through subtitles. Stuff like Comic Party and Azumanga Daioh are good examples of this to me. Plus, a lot of the jokes are redone in a way that you can understand without having to know the specific culture. Japanese puns aren't going to be funny if you don't understand the language, so I appreciate the efforts to reword them in English to try to capture that same comedy. (Reading the School Rumble manga extras at the back has given me an interesting insight into the process, and I'm always glad for the changes that were made).

With other genres that aren't quite so dependant on a certain understanding of culture or knowledge, I suppose I probably prefer subs the majority of the time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminous For This Useful Post:

voneyeding (Feb 23, 2008)

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

It all comes down to how tired I am. I'm more likely to watch a dubbed anime when I'm exhausted then when I'm well rested.

If a dub is available, I will try and give it a chance before I switch language tracks, and even if I'm watching a dub, I keep the subtitles on so i can critique the dub.

But honestly, I don't really care, I'll watch either or. I really don't get all the stink people cause over this topic.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I don't really care either, for me it depends what I start watching it in. If I start watching it in dub, then I usually continue watching it in dub ( I get so used to the characters and how the sound that it just sounds weird if I watch it in sub) and it's the same if I start watching it in sub..

So I'm with aceman, don't really care about, nor do I see what all the fuss is about..

Dragonrider Ichigo_06 is off to a good start Ichigo_06's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer dubbed when I watch anime, this is because I like to do more than one thing at all times, unless I am sleeping, then I do just that, I am a multitasker so dubbed verisons of anime is the best option so I am not concentrating on just one thing.
    ナサン フォオツド
    Keep what you hold dear close for one day they may be gone forever!
    Make one person smile for it will continue to spread but if you make a frown that will spread as well.http://www.animeonline.net/gallery/s...0/ppuser/57173

Newbie voneyeding is off to a good start voneyeding's Avatar
    Thanks

depend on the genre. I can easily say that comedies are one hell of a lot funnier in one's native language than through subtitles.
    Your totally correct, thanks for supporting this viewpoint. comedy, yes, exactly the type that needs special attention. I can tolerate a mecca based anime subbed if its really action packed and the art style is cool. (exception: gundam seed destiny''blah,blah, Orb, blah,blah ect.) I totally appreciate honest input, I think it turned the topic on this thread the other direction(based on recent comments)
    Last edited by voneyeding; Feb 23, 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: had to address who's quote i was refering to
    VonEYEding

Dragonrider Ichigo_06 is off to a good start Ichigo_06's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah anime in the native language when the characters get pissed often, or have to yell alot is freaking hallarious. however I cant multitask much when I watch them in the native language, (that is why I want to learn japanese)
    ナサン フォオツド
    Keep what you hold dear close for one day they may be gone forever!
    Make one person smile for it will continue to spread but if you make a frown that will spread as well.http://www.animeonline.net/gallery/s...0/ppuser/57173

Devoted Otaku Power Play Champion gaarasandkiller1 is off to a good start gaarasandkiller1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo_06 View Post
    yeah anime in the native language when the characters get pissed often, or have to yell alot is freaking hallarious. however I cant multitask much when I watch them in the native language, (that is why I want to learn japanese)
    lol lucky you i am trying to learn jap for the same reason. the japanese anime is so much better they block nothing out the voices move with the flow of the char's. And their language isn't edited so it's pure raw anime your watching unlike the english version's that are heavly editited and often i see their voice dont move with their mouth.
    *All the same i will kill you all,Gaara* (yes i made my own siggy

Newbie Numb3r 1 Otaku is off to a good start Numb3r 1 Otaku's Avatar
    Thanks

I likes Subs. If you follow them well enough, you can learn a little bit of Japanese. Thats how Ive been learning.(You can call me weird, I wont mind)
    Im just an unnoticeble dude.....hug me

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast