+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T.V. Shows as an Anime

Otaku Eria is off to a good start Eria's Avatar
    Thanks

T.V. Shows as an Anime

So my friend and I were talking the other day while watching Dark Angel. She really loves the show and always want to watch it when she is over since I own the box sets. She always teases me about my anime and manga and I started telling her how Dark Angel would work well as an Anime add some crazy hair and you already have the humans crossed with animals.

This got me wondering it there any live action shows that would make a good anime or the reverse, what anime would make a good live action.

Obviously my live action to anime is Dark Angel and the anime to live action would have to be Zombie Loan, I would love to see it done kind of like a Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'm just me.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: T.V. Shows as an Anime

Grumble Grumble Grumble

In reality, quite a few Manga series have resulted in both Anime, and life action Do-Ra-Ma TV series or movies in Japan... Among the one's I'm aware of are...
    • Great Teacher Onizuka
    • You're Under Arrest
    • Steel Angel Kurumi
    • Death Note
    • Gokusen
    • Tesujin 28
    • Initial D
    so this isn't exactly a new idea...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

In reality, quite a few Manga series have resulted in both Anime, and life action Do-Ra-Ma TV series or movies in Japan... Among the one's I'm aware of are...
    • Great Teacher Onizuka
    • You're Under Arrest
    • Steel Angel Kurumi
    • Death Note
    • Gokusen
    • Tesujin 28
    • Initial D
    so this isn't exactly a new idea...
    Add along shows like....

Honey and Clover- A story that revolves around 5 friends(2 girls 3 boys) at an art school..There is a love triangle between two of the boys and one of the girls. The other girl in the group is in love with the other guy character but that guy only considers him as nothing more than a friend. It has a pretty good story that depicts love whatnots and college life. It started as a manga and like many titles out there it soon ended up having an anime adaptation. Earlier this year a live action adaptation of Honey and Clover was made, i'm not usually a fan of softy stuff but i have developed a strong appreciation for Honey and Clover's live action adaptation.

Sailormoon- We all know what Sailormoon is right? But do we all know that it had a musical and a Japanese Tokusatsu(live action shows with huge amount of SFX and stunds and the whatnots) adaptation?

Hana Yori Dango- a shojo manga about a middle class girl who attends a high falutin school ruled by a group of boys called F4. The boys starts to make the girl's life miserable but the girl eventually fights back humiliating F4's leader in the process. To cut it short, it eventually develops into a love triangle story involving the main character, F4's leader, and another F4 member who happens to be the leader's best friend. It started as a manga and it had an anime adaptation afterwards, in recent years Taiwan did a live action adaptation and renamed it Meteor Garden...Japan also did a live action adaptation a few years back and they're doing a movie right now which will serve as a third season.

Hanazakirino Kimitachihe- another shojo manga about a girl who disguises herself as a man in order to study and be with her idol who attends a boy-only school...Originally made as a manga it had 2 live action adaptations done by Taiwan and Japan.

Barom One- an action manga about 2 boys who transforms into a powerful being called Barom One. It was created way back during 1970, a few years later it made its Tokusatsu debut in which it became considered by tokusatsu fans as a legendary show...I've never read the manga but i've seen both the tokusatsu and the anime adaptation which made its debut earlier this decade.

Suicide Club/Circle- A multi-media title with a movie and a manga version and a huge fanbase to boast. With a well though and brilliant story you just have to see in order to appreciate...You just might wanna try seeing this one.

Spider-man- You read that right...Japan did a tokusatsu adaptation of the American icon way back in the late 70s. Spidey's look is pretty much the same but his origins and the whole feel of the series was tweaked big time. It is a fun fun fun show if you ask me, and take note...Spidey has his own mecha in this show, the mecha's name is Leopardon.

...those are just a few titles, there are tons of multi-media titles out there already made including Japanese icons such as Godzilla, Ultraman, and Kamen(masked) Rider...and a ton more yet to be made. In fact, here in Asia it is already a continental trend. Japan of course is leading the way, Taiwan already made a few, Philippines did Lupin(a bad Lupin if you ask me), and so on....
    Last edited by Hantei16; May 01, 2008 at 11:24 PM. Reason: i just can't resist adding up spidey.

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah there already real tv shows as anime but it would be good to see some tv shows as anime like buffy or angel, or something like csi or supernatural
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by cantsenditback View Post
    yeah there already real tv shows as anime but it would be good to see some tv shows as anime like buffy or angel, or something like csi or supernatural
    But would it be Anime??? The standard definition for Japanese Anime is Animation produced and targeted for a Japanese Audience. They are a few Anime features that are Western in Origin. (e.g. 'Witchblade', 'Highlander', 'Afro Samurai', the upcoming 'Dark Knight' series, 'Gendo Senki (Tales of Earthsea)' and the Miyazaki films, "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Howl's Moving Castle") Would an American TV program 'translate' well into a Japanese cultural context???

Otaku Eria is off to a good start Eria's Avatar
    Thanks

When I asked about manga turned into live action I meant taking a manga and turning into American live action. I have seen my share of live action based on manga, including Peach Girl, Hana Kimi, GTO and Death note.
    I guess what I was asking is the crossing of cultures taking a Manga and turning into an American TV show or movie and also taking and American TV show or movie and turning into an anime. Would it work? What would you want to see done and so forth.

I'm just me.

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Eria View Post
    I guess what I was asking is the crossing of cultures taking a Manga and turning into an American TV show or movie and also taking and American TV show or movie and turning into an anime. Would it work? What would you want to see done and so forth.
    As far as Manga adaptations for American TV, there was a serious proposal, (put out by the writing team who worked on 'Star Trek, the Next Generation', and the current 'Battlestar Galactica' remake) for an Americanized live action 'Witch Hunter Robin' a few years ago. Since I haven't heard anything further on this, I assume the proposal wasn't accepted... There's also the more recent news of Dreamworks purchasing the rights for a live action 'Ghost in the Shell' movie. And James Cameron has purchased the movie rights for a live action movie adaptation of 'Battle Angel Alita', though the schedules for production has always been pushed back...

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

But would it be Anime??? The standard definition for Japanese Anime is Animation produced and targeted for a Japanese Audience. They are a few Anime features that are Western in Origin. (e.g. 'Witchblade', 'Highlander', 'Afro Samurai', the upcoming 'Dark Knight' series, 'Gendo Senki (Tales of Earthsea)' and the Miyazaki films, "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Howl's Moving Castle") Would an American TV program 'translate' well into a Japanese cultural context???
    I know what you are saying, but most anime are shown everywhere and even one has been created in France "code lyoko" but the most popular series/movie are seen worldwide and in different languages. A american program could be translated in japanese context and keep most of the original context from the original tv show, the thing that usually change is most probably the name and some of the storyline for that show
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast