Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The true meaning of otaku

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The true meaning of otaku

LOL. That's awesome. Innerhell for the win!

The word Otaku (aside from meaning house) isn't actually a good thing to be called. It generally means (short version) that you have become obsessed with something to the point of it being unhealthy.

American media took the word and slowly tranformed it into something positive so that they could sell the recognizable word to the less-informed anime buying market. There was a lot of heavy debat over the last few years when the true meaning of the word suddenly became known to a whole lot more people, and those people started arguing that the word should not longer be used. Like many other arguments though, it eventually flatlined or went underground.

So the question remains: Are you Otaku?
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Otaku baikuza may be famous one day baikuza may be famous one day baikuza's Avatar
    Thanks

for me, otaku is a person who loves the anime from japan. and I'm a otaku.
    BiO is LivE; AniMe is LivE--> BiO=AnimE

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Not only am I obsessed with anime and manga but also the card games so I’m totally otaku.

i am King Otaku.

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

well tht stereotype abt us being overweight is not true as i see many of our members keeping themselves fit n healthy. So screw anybody who says we r overweight sad ppl.

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Newbie ChamaTama may be famous one day ChamaTama may be famous one day ChamaTama's Avatar
    Thanks

If you ever get a chance to see 'Train Man' (original title: Densha Otoko) do give it a try. It was out in film and TV series and I haven't seen the film but the TV series was quite funny.

Otaku still has a negative connotation in Japanese society - not b/c they're overweight and unshaved and wearing glasses (yeah right) but more like b/c it makes non-otaku ppl think that otaku are ppl who can't mentally grow up into a mature adult. I have to say though, that it's recognition is rapidly growing better or healthier should I say, and the otaku market is now seen as a huge market where ppl can really move and make money. Socially accepted than before.

Newbie Kuroku may be famous one day Kuroku may be famous one day Kuroku's Avatar
    in a box off the coast of the Gulf Of Mexico
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baikuza
    for me, otaku is a person who loves the anime from japan. and I'm a otaku.
    BiO is LivE; AniMe is LivE--> BiO=AnimE
    I thought this is what otaku means too...
    pEoPlE...fEaR tHe uNkNoWn....mUa hA hA hA!!!

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

im an otaku... i think a otaku... is a taco.. shaped like a O...
    I like to think of myself as a taco o_O

TACO!
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13 may be famous one day LittleHobbit13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChamaTama
    If you ever get a chance to see 'Train Man' (original title: Densha Otoko) do give it a try. It was out in film and TV series and I haven't seen the film but the TV series was quite funny.
    I've seen it. It's cool show. You know they're making the anime series from that show into an actual anime?

But anyways, Densha Otaku is definately a good for showing how the Japanese view people considered "Otaku".
    "True kindness isn't something we're born with; it's something we have to work at. We have to mold it and shape it with ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential. Sometimes you just have to look really close before you can tell it's there." -- Kyoko Honda Fruits Basket
    ~ ~

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast