+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are We Destroying Anime in Japan?

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are We Destroying Anime in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara
    The trouble is, the R1 anime industry is collapsing. Last night, a friend and journalist who works in the industry told me that GENEON USA is done for. As an international branch of a Japanese company and one of the three biggest liscensors/direct producers of anime to the US: that implies some major hurting for the US industry.

CPM is barely hanging on after the Musicland debacle (which impacted other companies as well). ADV has downsized staff twice in 3 years...

The US market is saturated and it's starting to give way under it's own weight.

It's entirely feasable that in 3 or 4 years, anime will again become a primarily domestic effort... but losing the international money will also affect the number and quality of animation for the Japanese market.
    If this person is an insider I guess you can't disagree with what they said. I saw this and posted it in the clan about a week ago.

Anime on DVD

Geneon is sorta joining with ADV(taken over by ADV slightly).

In the states Geneon products are among the highest priced. They give little to no discount on boxsets, so I can see why they're in trouble. Its a shame, becuase I really like Geneon items. With ADV combining with Geneon I don't think the states will be hurting for anime goodies for a few years anyway. I sorta wonder if it wouldn't be a good thing to just have one monster company that puts out for the states, or are these individual company efforts the way to go?

I don't know how CPM is still in business at all.
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Otaku Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael may be famous one day Ishamael's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not going to pretend to know as much as you about this subject, but there are a few things I wanted to comment on.

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    It's DEFINATELY a parasitic relationship. And while a few Japanese companies are getting rich off the arrangement and international money has kept the anime industry profitable for about 5 years now: Japanese fans are getting screwed hard.
    The word "parasitic" doesn't seem to work for this kind of argument. The only thing that is parasitic about that relationship is how the Japanese economy is being bolstered by all the money from foreign consumers. I read your statement as us, the foreigners, being the parasite.

Parasite: An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

The fact that companies are selling to a foreign market means they are getting money from the transaction, otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with us in the first place. That by definition is not parasitic.

I agree that the Japanese fan base is getting the short end of the stick, but as someone already stated its just supply and demand. We have more people so we have a higher demand. If you think of the global economy as one entity they are just a single minority. The industry could care less of the fact that they may owe their existence to that minority.

We may be "destroying" it in Japanese eye's, but that goes the same for any other creation. Who is to say the Wright brothers aren't rolling over in their graves because they never wanted flight to be used for the purposes of war or even commercial transportation?
    "Who said I'm pissed?" - Silverskater145
    "That gigantic wall of text you posted did a pretty good job of it." - Raven Omega

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael View Post
    The fact that companies are selling to a foreign market means they are getting money from the transaction, otherwise they wouldn't be bothering with us in the first place. That by definition is not parasitic.
    I was referring the the relationship between fandoms. It's a given that the companies on both sides are just out to make a buck. But as a result of the growth of anime in the United States, the situation for Japanese fans has actually worsened... while US fans benefit almost exclusively.

Yes, Western money keeps the industry afloat, but that money is being cycled back into products for export: not to provide anything exceptional or new for the domestic fandom.

Take the companies out of the relationship and all that's left is the US fandom: taking animation, goods, photos, fanart and doujinshi without paying for it, commenting on it, or thanking anyone for it. Meanwhile Japanese fans find less goods to purchase, higher prices, less creativity aimed at the domestic market, and their own efforts in creating original material thwarted by international theft :/

I think that's pretty parasitic.

What will be interesting is when the current Japanese "fandom" graduates to the industry itself and remembers how we've screwed them in the past ^^; 90% of professional mangaka begin with doujinshi after all.

(by the way, I'm being incredibly black and white about this for the sake of argument, but I've taken the other side on a Japanese messageboard before :P )

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

it does suck, but a lot of really good products, ideas, anything, can be taken advantage of and used for monetary gain...

at the end of the line, as long as someone is making money, it's going to keep happening. it sucks that foreigners (speaking from the American side at least) have stripped the Japanese anime community of what it is, but then again, i have benefited from it. personally, i believe you should support artists by buying their products directly from them... however, since i cannot read the artists sites, or really be able to find them, there is little i can do when i'm searching for an art book or something...

=_= over here in LA, Little Tokyo (part of downtown with prominent Japanese population, as referred to as J-Town) is suffering as well, all my favorite little shops have been closing down and more and more freaky, fat otaku people have been coming in... the little unknown mall had to hold a crappy anime convention just to draw people in... and a big American company is buying a lot of the property to "build it up", and all the locals are worried about it...

>_< good things can only last for so long, cuz people can only be good for so long... it's sad, but it's what's happening and will happen again in some way or form...

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    =_= over here in LA, Little Tokyo (part of downtown with prominent Japanese population, as referred to as J-Town) is suffering as well, all my favorite little shops have been closing down and more and more freaky, fat otaku people have been coming in... the little unknown mall had to hold a crappy anime convention just to draw people in... and a big American company is buying a lot of the property to "build it up", and all the locals are worried about it...
    Interesting... there's a similar battle for control of Akihabara at the moment. With the opening of the huuuuge Yodobashi mall, the new train line and the revitalization of the back side station area (addition of two food malls, an animation school, a public square, etc), Akihabara is becoming incredibly "mainstream".

Two years ago, there were 8 men to every 1 woman on the street, everyone dressed down and the only places to eat were fast food and a few ramen shops. Suddenly, between the new "attractions" and foreign acclaim as a tourist spot: Akihabara has three times as many people walking around -- and most of them aren't the Japanese otaku who popularized the neighborhood in the first place. Many Japanese fans are enraged that "normal" people now go to Akihabara and that the area no longer feels geek-friendly or "judgement free". And they're right... a lot of people are carrying Louis Vitton bags and wearing high heels in those new shopping malls, and they'll openly say "you make me sick" to any nerds they run into.

Quite a few teenagers have been targetting geeks in hate and extortion crimes saying that they're weak and have money to burn. There's even a "nerd-hunting" subculture developing: centered around Akihabara.

That's a little sad...

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

in times like these, the folks who want to go back to how it was will just have to pack up shop and move to a new area to start again. True its ashame that all the attention Akihabara is getting has transformed it from a quirky collection of well, geek shops to the thing it is now...been there once long time ago, cant imagine what the place looks like now...it almost sounds like some kinda upscale place, like we have here in LA (rodeo drive, city walk, hollywood and vine, Downtown Pasadena...) the true Otaku might just have to pull up roots and relocate to bring back the old Akihabara feeling...things can get outa hand when something catched the worlds eye...
    Ive seen the decline of the Little Tokyo area, its ashame, but it happens. hell i normaly have to head out to the city of industry to find my anime figures and toys...thats abit of a drive...but downtown LA is changing by the minute, construction of LA Life is just gonna pack more people, little T and little K town are gonna get flooded with wandering people soon...it sux but it happens...
    Don't Panic

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Two years ago, there were 8 men to every 1 woman on the street, everyone dressed down and the only places to eat were fast food and a few ramen shops. Suddenly, between the new "attractions" and foreign acclaim as a tourist spot: Akihabara has three times as many people walking around -- and most of them aren't the Japanese otaku who popularized the neighborhood in the first place. Many Japanese fans are enraged that "normal" people now go to Akihabara and that the area no longer feels geek-friendly or "judgement free". And they're right... a lot of people are carrying Louis Vitton bags and wearing high heels in those new shopping malls, and they'll openly say "you make me sick" to any nerds they run into.

Quite a few teenagers have been targetting geeks in hate and extortion crimes saying that they're weak and have money to burn. There's even a "nerd-hunting" subculture developing: centered around Akihabara.

That's a little sad...
    I wonder if that’s an upgrade or a down grade from bum bashing.

If there was some way to unit the otaku of Japan, and have them flood Akihabara. Then maybe it would repel those normal a-holes, are Japanese otaku too afraid to stand up and tell off those norms that say they make them sick? If you’re already an outcast or thought of as something being wrong with you for liking anime, why not embrace it and become offensive as well?
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    The trouble is, the R1 anime industry is collapsing. Last night, a friend and journalist who works in the industry told me that GENEON USA is done for. As an international branch of a Japanese company and one of the three biggest liscensors/direct producers of anime to the US: that implies some major hurting for the US industry.

CPM is barely hanging on after the Musicland debacle (which impacted other companies as well). ADV has downsized staff twice in 3 years...

The US market is saturated and it's starting to give way under it's own weight.

It's entirely feasable that in 3 or 4 years, anime will again become a primarily domestic effort... but losing the international money will also affect the number and quality of animation for the Japanese market....
    Speaking of which, there is more bad news for GENEON USA...
    Geneon USA's current distribution status unknown

The previously announced deal between ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc., in which ADV Films would take over all sales, marketing, and distribution of Geneon USA anime titles, has been cancelled.

In preparation for the transition, Geneon USA laid off the majority of its sales division, including all of its sales people. Customers of Geneon USA have informed us that they have been unable to obtain any information from Geneon USA about the current procedure for returns.
    An ADV Films representative declined when asked to comment on the reasons behind the failure of the agreement.

Geneon USA previously distributed DVDs for Bandai Visual USA; Bandai Visual's future distribution plans have not been announced to the public.

In addition to the contracting of Geneon USA's sales and marketing to ADV Films, Dentsu Inc. (Geneon USA's parent company) was also planning on closing Geneon USA's in-house production by the end of the year. It is not known what was to be done with ongoing projects, such as the Hellsing video series, that will not finish in Japan before December 31.

Geneon USA did not respond to requests for comment in time for this article.
    ADV Films, Geneon USA's Distribution Deal Cancelled (Updated) - Anime News Network

With it's partner in GENEON USA backing out, dentsu has become its primary owner. I wonder if there has been any recent press releases concerning Region 1 distribution by dentsu in Japan???
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast