+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Annoys Me About Harem

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry What Annoys Me About Harem

My favorite genre of anime has always been harem/romance. Tenchi Muyo! is the only reason I even know what the word anime means.

What annoys me most about this beloved genre isn't the cliche's. The convienient falls onto sensitive parts, or how the main character is usually ordinary in every way possible.

It's the fact that they make it super obvious from episode 1 who the main character will choose. One of the reasons I enjoyed Tenchi Muyo so much was they kept you on your toes the entire series trying to figure out who he was going to choose.

Anyone else tired of this pitfall that takes the wind out of harems?
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Newbie UthAkrean Scion is off to a good start UthAkrean Scion's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What Annoys Me About Harem

But age-old Harems had the male-to-whom-we-all-kneel favouring one woman over the others anyway.
    The others were only there for a bit of eye candy and variety, mostly there for decoration.
    I do understand your point, sir, but I just feel that it's too accurate to bemoan.

But my personal gripe with Harem is that there's always that ONE girl who WILL pulverise the guy. He ignores her? That's a pummeling. Asks her out? That's a pummeling? Rapes\\attempted rapes her? That's a pummeling. Is asked out by one of her friends? That's a pummeling. Asked out by HER? Done by a pummeling.
    Ugh. Tsundere characters are the ones that annoy me.
    The blood of Ten beats in my heart.

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

What do you mean by "too accurate to bemoan"?

It takes alot of the pull out of a series. Since no matter what occurs with another female its all too obvious who he'll end up with. This is one of the reasons that I liked Tenchi & School Days. I never had any idea what girl the guy in either series would choose.
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Newbie UthAkrean Scion is off to a good start UthAkrean Scion's Avatar
    Thanks

I suppose you're right.
    But I just usually sit down and watch a new anime series, only to be disappointed about similar things: They're ALL fairly predictable.
    Harem is easy to guess, yes. But the other genres were, too. Which is why that aspect of it never bothered me, really. I suppose I'm just going to agree to disagree... on one part of your statement. Not all of it, just one bit.
    Sorry to have wasted your time.
    The blood of Ten beats in my heart.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

The reason I think that it's usually obvious who the male character will choose, or has already fallen in love with, is because if you care for someone enough, you'll fight your way through an onslaught of men trying to take her away from you and you'll do what you can to ensure no other woman comes between you and her (I learned most of this from watching Ranma 1/2 above all other harem/romance anime). Though neither are easy and will ever work the way as planned. Let's not get started on the misinterpreted situations between main male character and other female characters. LOL.

+ Reply to Thread