Well Anime means japanese drawings and americanis just cartoons. Anime has a style of a type of eyes a while cartoons is a simple doodles like Billy and Mandy. Cartoons is usually for kids a while Anime is mostly for 13 and up I guess?
「When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead」
Cartoons=Any artistic medium that is not anime
Anime=Cartoons from Japan
Cartoon=Cartoons from anywhere
Sorry but other then animation style there is no technical difference, only a person's beliefs.
You can not defend it as being different from cartoons because it is not. It is animation, that there are many different series of. To try and say all anime is one thing and all cartoons are another only proves that your personal bias is so deep that you might not be someone to listen to.
On the surface other then the style the only thing that seperates the two is that most cartoons are very childish....ergo do not attract the age group that anime tends to....Still that is only as of yet, but not a technical difference.
Cartoon's arn't as bloody as anima but anima is way more intresting then regale cartoon's. Plus cartoon's today are more for baby's then the teenage taste, and anima is more the teenage realm then most cartoons.
I really dont think that anime is a matter of drawing. I mean really Pokemon doesnt really seem all that anime-esque to me. I would have thought it was a cartoon, but its not ... its an anime. And not all cartoons are silly and unrealistic looking like W.I.T.C.H, Teen Titans, even older cartoons like Gi Joe. As for being silly have you not seen Abenobashi, FLCL, Bobobobo bobobo or One Piece? You dont think they're overly silly or with a silly drawing style?
Both cartoons and anime are considered a form of animated drawings, but anime is specifically Japanese.
Mukuchi ni naruhodo suki yo yasashi sa doushitara mieru no
daikishimete motto tsuyoku atataka na mune wo shinjiru yo
Sayonara solitia ashita he
Grumble Grumble Grumble
Time once again to post the common 'properties' of Anime that distinguish it from American Cartoons...
1. Large eyes, (this dates back all the way to 'Astro Boy' of the early 1960s, and the Manga influence dating back to the late 1940s...)
2. Highly detailed background art. (Even children Anime series such as 'Pokemon' have this characteristic)
3. Japanese cultural references... (Considering that the standard definition of 'Anime' is animation written and targeted for a Japanese audience, this is not surprising...)
4. Story arcs that span multiple episodes, (not the episodic stories common in US cartoons)
4a. Fixed episode ordering. (Seeing episodes out of order is like reading the chapters of a book out of order...)
5. Character emotional growth. (In American cartoons, Bugs Bunny is always Bugs Bunny. In most Anime, Characters at the end of a series, or even the end of a story arc, are rarely the same as what they started as...)
FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku
And to think, mostly(but not all) cartoon's is more on deform characters and the series is mostly unpredictable. While anime, it have a definate plot storyline, though. Anime may have some unpredictable series also. Sunny Pig as an example. But it is according to episodes. But in Cartoons sometimes it doesnt have definate episodes.
"Bring salvation to akuma's soul."