+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you guys think about this AWESOME idea?

Newbie AnimePublisher311 is off to a good start
    Thanks

I have been working on a business model with the intentions of providing the manga and anime community with the means of publishing their work for all to see. The artist or group of artists would be paid based on the amount of audience their original work draws.

The best comparison I could make to emulate this model is like television. The better "ratings" each show/manga-strip/anime film receives, the higher the compensation for the artist(s).

Not only will the artists find compensation in actual money, but they get to meet and network with other aspiring or fully professional artists/storywriters as well.

Let's say you're a storywriter with no artistic talent at all. You publish a short story or a summary of an idea you have. Then an artist with no writing talent views your work and you agree to form a mini studio to publish work as a team. The website would have a method like a dashboard from which to communicate with your studio, regardless of how small or large.

Once your studio has created something of a grand scale, the show can be released and the potential for advertising revenue would be substantial. Additionally you've now got a completed published work that you can display in your portfolio without all the solo work like so many of you hard workers do.

This way you work like a real studio. Not one person doing all the work, but instead a team. This speeds up production, makes things feel less daunting and overwhelming, as well as forms networks of people that could very well lead to a profitable studio company.

I've been a long time anime and manga fan but nowhere close to all of you die hard love it to death fans.

So what I am asking you guys is whether you think this is something worth pursuing? Would you consider joining this kind of website community?

Without revealing too many details of the business model I want to know what the real community thinks. Opinions are much appreciated and we look forward to your original manga stories, art, and ideas to create some solid and profitable mini studio manga teams.

::BUMP:: Cmon need your support. We've already got some support on other manga sites. We want to know what you think, what your ideas, concerns, and expectations would be...
    Last edited by Hassun; May 30, 2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: double post

Newbie AznZheng96 is off to a good start AznZheng96's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What do you guys think about this AWESOME idea?

Hmm... I think it's a great idea xD .... I am a writer with no drawing talent ( im creative in writing but drawing is not my top ). I'm sorry if this is going off topic but this is like the manga "Bakuman" where a writer and a drawer form a team to create manga and rise to the top... They know each other in real life in the manga so that might be something different but by reading the manga, i saw that teamwork is a vital process to a team and a team could cover your weaknesses and turn them into a masterpiece such as the writer can cover for the drawer's inability to write and the drawer can cover for the writer's inability to draw. i would think it's a great idea and that this is something to pursue if you dream to be a famous manga writer/drawer.... i would consider joining but i dont have much time in my life as of now so i dont think i can join.. Still my opinion is that this a great idea ^^.

Thanks

The great part about it is that you can join and publish your pieces of work. Summaries of stories or full stories. If someone likes it, then they can work with you to publish it in a full manga/anime form.

Furthermore publishing your summaries and stories is still a viable way to earn the income I was speaking of. The more views your story gets, the more you are compensated.

We're also toying with the idea of something similar to craigs list, where you would post "Looking for mangaka for my story about Ninjas in the year 2200..." or whatever.
    Artists would "apply," by posting links to their portfolios (again increasing the views to your publications thereby increasing compensation).

Thank you for your support.

To further clarify for the skeptics and people worried about their works being stolen and how it is automatically copyrighted even before it's published online.

Here's a link about copyrighted works and what is considered copyrighted.
    Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created
    in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship
    immediately becomes the property of the author who created
    the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights
    through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

U.S. Copyright Office - What Does Copyright Protect? (FAQ)

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

I understand your fears. Copyright does not protect ideas. So if someone reads Bleach and likes the idea of shinigami and espada, then publish something very similar, it's going to be obvious to bleach fans and the community alike. To others maybe not so much. But if the company does make an original idea, albeit based on Bleach's work, they would not be in violation.

But that's part of the way that the real world happens. You see an idea, you get inspired and try to make your own. You can't tell me all of your ideas were completely uninspired by other people's works.

Ok back to the nitty gritty. So your biggest concern is trust. Can you trust my company. You won't have to submit anything to me or the website until the website is up and running. There will be valid and legit legal online documents that you will read, e-sign, and make copies of in case there are any discrepancies. I assure you we will be legit.

Remember what I'm trying to do here. Right now the only way to publish anime and manga is to work your way into studios or start your own business, get a loan, and start your own studio (<<<a lot more work than you'd think).

So I figured, I'm a businessman and I know there is talent out there. Let's allow those people to show case their talent, while making some money at the same time.

MangaFan -- loves to read manga

Mangaka -- loves to read and draw manga

Mangaka feels like his work is good enough to publish it.
    To send it somewhere he would feel like he could lose his idea.
    Publishing it on physical paper is too expensive for his budget.
    How does he get sponsored if there is no proof of circulation? What advertising companies will advertise with his manga?

Along comes my company. We're creating an online version of Shonen Jump (to put it into perspective).
    - You publish your copyrighted work on the site.
    - MangaFans now read/watch other Mangakas' work and help to promote or suggest what needs work.
    - Mangaka's and MangaFans alike will stimulate a perpetual economy. Where instead of all of us buying Shonen Jump (which we still most likely do), we are instead looking at the latest and greatest publications of our fellow Mangaka's.
    - With the help of company tutorials and marketing tips, you self promote yourself and your friends.
    - Based on the amount of viewers you have, you get paid commission
    - Paygrades will increase as you reach certain viewer quotas each month
    This is showing the success of your published work and that it would be in high demand, which consequently leads to more viewers and higher paygrades.

The success of your series would lead to one or all of many things. You won't be able to keep up with the demand of your popular manga/anime, so you'll need to recruit more into your "mini studio," (as I called it earlier). You help out your fellow manga community by stimulating our own miniature economy.

The nice part about this site, is that there are no deadlines. No editors telling you to draw better, draw faster. You're your own boss for you actual business that can actually compensate you. Once you form teams/ministudios, then you can bang out more work faster and more perhaps even cleaner than you could have done when it was by yourself and overwhelming. This would give you the chance to meet other professionals who have great talent in one area, but are lacking in another.

These are ideas and models that have been well thought out over quite some time now. Like you, we can't simply post all the juicy, coaxing details up now, for fear of someone/some company with a larger initial capital stealing the idea.

So we're not asking you to publish any work now. We are asking for word of mouth support and direction to this thread or PMs to me. We are asking the community what kind of support we might see from a website that would actually give a real something back to the mangaka and otakus of this day and age. You can draw manga and anime and write for fun forever. But why not try to fulfill your dreams of slowly publishing your work and improving it to reach success?

Newbie AznZheng96 is off to a good start AznZheng96's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm as i said great idea and i don't think i could join now but someday i might ... xD well that's my opinion said and i hope it goes well with the website and all, hope to see it running in the future as a famous manga site and all.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Unless you're based in Japan I think it will be rather hard to change the whole release and copyright system of manga and anime.

I'd start a lot smaller if I were you.

Thanks

There's nothing to change...All of the work will be from you anime and manga fans. There will be no copyright infringement as this site will have a strong focus on ensuring that all the work published is original and belongs to the publishing author(s).

Just look at it like an online magazine that you can publish your strip in, and get paid if people like it. It promotes your career as well as helps to shape your ideas of what people like/dislike.

This is based in America with intentions of expansion.

Newbie shonic1001 is off to a good start shonic1001's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it'd be a great idea. I'd love to see what people make and maybe try my hand at writing for a manga. I think I know a couple people that would like this site also.

+ Reply to Thread