+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think about Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Gurren Lagann

Well finally after all the delays that it has gone through "Gurren Lagann" has finally been released. The delay has made us wait in anticipation for an extra 4 months since the previous scheduled release date back in February set by ADV. The delay was caused by the transference of licensing and distribution between ADV to Bandai Entertainment.

As for the main plot of the story the first volume covers the beginning of the "Gurren Lagann" saga and introduces us to Simon and Kamina whom lived in an underground village uptil when a certain turn of events lead them up to the surface.

The DVD box features 2-Discs with a total of 9 episodes. Also included in the set is the Opening Theme CD of the song "Sora-iro Days". But one thing that I must note for some viewers is that:

This DVD features ONLY the Japanese Audio...with Englsih subtitles ofcourse.

...which is somewhat odd and a bit of a surprise for me seeing that its been put out by Bandai Entertainment but, personally I could care less as I only watch anime in the original Japanese audio anyways.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gurren Lagann

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Bandai Entertainment has already announced a re-release scheduled for early next year which will include the English Dub, original Japanese Soundtracks plus additional extras. The subtitled only release is intended to please the collectors who had their hearts broken by the cancellation of the ADV Films release...

Along with 'Denno Coil', 'Gurren Lagann' took TV series awards at both the Tokyo International Anime Fair 2008, and the Japan Media Arts Festival in 2007. (In comparison, the last Anime TV series to pull off this trick was 'Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex'...) And having completed the first 9 episodes of this GAINAX Studio series (its a twin-pack DVD release), it does appear that it deserves both awards, combining the chaotic animation style of 'FLCL' with a legible plot (which FLCL lacked!) of a Shounen coming of age story...

Bandai Entertainment, Inc. - NYCC Page 01
    天元突破グレンラガン:
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LenMiyata For This Useful Post:

Pyro Psycho (Nov 06, 2008)

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm so upset. Just as I was hooked by this anime it dissapears from my hardrive.
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep I manage to catch a few episodes after it was hyped so much by friends in recent weeks. So far this is one of the newest anime I've seen in a long time and it doesn't disappoint. Even though the DVD has only Japanese audio only, just because it has the CD by Shoko Tan, it's totally worth it

click to show spoiler

*tsk*tsk* Legend...dont just go and spoil it like that in public, there are people that wish to find out themselves. ~Shinku no kage
    Last edited by Shinku no kage; Jul 17, 2008 at 02:21 PM.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

If anyone is interested, the Bandai Entertainment English dub of Gurren Lagann has it's US premier tonight (July 28th) on the Sci-Fi channel's Ani-Monday Programming block...

Interview: Gainax on Gurren Lagann - Anime News Network

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Hah, the "Dubben Lagann" release had a mixed response from me. I normally greatly prefer original audio with subtitles. However, most of the dub was fairly decent. I had a few eye-twitching moments at certain word pronunciations, but that's always the case when a series gets localized.

I'll end up picking up the special subtitle-only series release in the long run, it seems.

Newbie Touko Ryogi is off to a good start Touko Ryogi's Avatar
    Thanks

Are there going to be any edits or cuts in the Sci Fi Network airing of Gurren Lagann that we know about? I'm thinking of the bathhouse episode (6 or 7 I think) and a few other questionable but funny moments that most catholic mothers would burst a forehead vein over.

It's rare we get a good series fresh on a TV network for a free viewing here stateside that isn't 2-3 years old already. But if it's chopped up then I won't even bother...

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Touko Ryogi View Post
    Are there going to be any edits or cuts in the Sci Fi Network airing of Gurren Lagann that we know about? I'm thinking of the bathhouse episode (6 or 7 I think) and a few other questionable but funny moments that most catholic mothers would burst a forehead vein over....
    According to the Anime News Network interview, GAINAX Studio had problems with some episodes showing on late night Japanese TV, so it wouldn't be surprising to see some edits... (For that matter, you really should expect some edits, as US broadcast practice has more minutes set aside for commercials then Japanese broadcast practice) Then again, the Japanese soundtrack only release is going for a real cheap price and won't make that big a hole in your pocket if you want to see the real uncut version...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast