Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What got you into anime??

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What got you into anime??

For me it was a Anime Music Video for Evangelion, specificly, this one: YouTube - Neon Genesis Evangelion - Everything You Want

It was shown to me by a friend, and I was hooked, and I was wondering just what this "Evangelion" was...

That was about 6 years ago, and its just Avalanched since then.

Newbie innocent is off to a good start innocent's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool

i still dont know..meybe it is clode t my dreams

umm..lwts see it was so difrrent fro what ppl thinks..the story of animes..i started anime with wolf's rain..
    Last edited by aceman67; Jul 08, 2008 at 02:34 AM.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

I see the tendency of this thread to look something like the "first anime" thread, but anyway...

Here's a summary of my anime life so far and my country's anime history...With this you'll see how i got into it and how i got glued into it...

What got me into anime? It's a combination of trend and a "Japanized" family. Years before i was born anime is already a dark horse in terms of entertainment on Philippine TV. Mecha's dominant run in Japan during the 70s and 80s greatly affected Philippine programming, due to the titanic success of shows like Tosho Daimos, Choudenshi Machine Voltes V(the most popular anime here), and Mazinger Z, networks brought in more anime shows (mostly mecha) to be enjoyed by the populace. These shows were very popular back then but the idea of "anime" wasn't on our minds yet...

1986...The year when i was born, American animation and Japanese Tokusatsu posed fierce competition, the society still sees anime as "cartoon" but an aunt of mine who went to Japan for college knew better. She was never an anime fan but she gave and taught me the stuff that would affect my appreciation for the Japanese way. Tokusatsu would slightly overshadow American animation during the late 80s...

The early and mid 90s...American animation and Japanese Tokusatsu slowly declined in popularity and anime opened up for the female audience. Shojo and World Masterpiece Theater titles began to air during the mornings and the afternoons, a lot of anime was aired during this time but the shojo stuff dominated the morning and afternoon blocks. During this shojo boom, one show stood out over the rest--Little Princess Sarah. Due to its dramatic nature, even senior citizens got hooked (seriously, i'm not exaggerating) and a musical movie spinoff was made. I joined the bandwagon and became fond of those shojo and World Masterpiece Theater titles as well. The bigger names that were aired during this time are Dragon Ball, DBZ, Ranma 1/2, Sailormoon, Yaiba, Yu Yu Hakusho, Nadia, Slam Dunk, Slayers, Magic Knight Rayearth and many more. During this time, i guess it's safe to say that anime has already beaten its rivals...

Mid to late 90s...The most defining moment of anime's history in my country happened during this time. A local network called GMA-7 started to air numerous fresh anime including the reruns of shows that were already popular and those shows that were also popular popular before but went unfinished. The returning Voltes V and Daimos, Vision of Escaflowne, Hell Teacher Nube, Master Mosquiton '99, Db and Z, YuYu Hakusho, Fushigi Yuugi, Pokemon and some other titles took the primetime blocks. 1995 (or maybe 96) was the year when my family decided to have cable, because of this, other networks like WoWoW, NHK and AXN supplied me with more anime. The people already knew what anime was...

GMA wasn't the only network to take the anime step, ABS-CBN, the network responsible for the Shojo boom also aired big names like the Tenchi Muyo series, NGE, the Saber Marionette series, et cetera. Lesser networks began airing lesser known titles as well...

2000-present, the network wars got more intense over the years and more and more anime was aired. One of my main source of anime, the AXN network, started to remove anime from their regular programming. Animax, a 24/7 anime network in Japan started to branch out into Asia, Philippines was one of the lucky countries. Animax wasn't alone, one of the networks, ABS-CBN, decided to make a sister network dedicated to air anime titles and thus the Hero Channel was born. Anime continues to be one of the most dominant forms of entertainment in our country today...

What got me into anime isn't just a single show or a single event, i basically grew with it while witnessing its changes and effects in the nation that i am a part of. Arrogance aside, i am proud to say that i have watched hundreds of anime shows by now on TV alone, not including the ones i get on DVDs and other media. Even Wikipedia itself doesn't have info and pages about some of the shows i've seen, the factors that got me into anime are very rewarding indeed but i don't need or want to act more hardcore than anyone. I am just a fan and a lucky witness...

Otaku rajendran is off to a good start
    Thanks

ok here's my story...

when i was young i loved watching pokemon... i live in singapore sooo we have our own cartoon channel called kids central... ahahahaha... so while watching pokemon... i happened to come across Gundam Seed... that was the first anime i watched... and loved it...

soo after that i followed the gundam franchise... then the channel had an 'anime' hour... where 1 hr (11pm-12am) only anime will be airing in that channel... so since most of the cartoons in that channel were in the morning... and i was pretty bored at nights... i checked out the anime hour... then i was introduced to Inuyasha, Scrapped Princess, Shaman King and few others...

well i loved them all so i got my dad to get me the DVDs... but he bought some other series' as well which i haven't watched at that time... so as more and more series were introduced to me... and as i grew up... i became more aware of this whole thing called 'anime'

so that's how i got into watching anime... but there was a period of time (2004-2006) where i wasn't interested in anime cuz i was too into gaming... but since i quit gaming alreayd i'm back into anime!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!

and now i'm way more addicted then before... with all the awesome cool new series out there!!

Newbie anime_freak93 may be famous one day anime_freak93 may be famous one day anime_freak93's Avatar
    Thanks

I got into anime when I was 3 or 4
    don't remeber -_-v
    but it was because of Sailor Moon
    although at the time I didn't know it was Anime
    but I always thought the way of drawing was cooler xD
    and after that I always liked the style of drawing being used
    so I kept watching
    and now I want to make a Anime
    although that's still a far off dream xD
    what is today but yesterday's tommorow

Otaku cojoe5 is off to a good start
    Thanks

i got into anime when i was 5 and i have been a lover of anime and manga ever since
    Assistant Commander *Master Ninja*

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

Toonami and boredom got me into anime. It it just me or do the same topics rotate about every 6 months or so?
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Newbie coochachu is off to a good start coochachu's Avatar
    Thanks

I watched Yuuyuuhakusho when I was like 5 lol... and of course Sailormoon~
    That and DBZ, because I loved watching people fight back then I guess? Then there's Pokemon when I'm eight, Fushigi Yuugi and One Piece came next, then my friend introduced me to HunterXHunter when I was eleven. Before I knew it I was already in the world of ACG... until now XD"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast