+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When Cicadas Cry

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

When Cicadas Cry

Has anyone watched all of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? (When Cicadas Cry - also known as When They Cry)
    I finally watched all the series, and was utterly lost!
    I know it's based off a game, and there are also a few books about it.
    But I was wondering what everyone thought of it.
    I was surprised - It was pretty violent, but through the violence and death, there seemed to be a light hearted side to everything. Even murder and torture!
    What did you think of this anime, and why?

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: When Cicadas Cry

I thought it was interesting. It keep you hook untill you found out what happens. Then it started all over again. Tho the seen with the nail and the hand joints made a curl my hands into a ball I thought it was a good show.

Devoted Otaku Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose may be famous one day Spike'sRose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fireandice View Post
    I thought it was interesting. It keep you hook untill you found out what happens. Then it started all over again. Tho the seen with the nail and the hand joints made a curl my hands into a ball I thought it was a good show.
    Yes, I feel the same way!! The scenes of violence are pretty short, but still pretty vivid. Even when they don't show anything in detail, you know what's happening, and you can hear it. So I think that makes it worse.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

The series is quite confusing, since you're seeing the same events happening in slightly different ways through each character's eyes. Towards the end, Rika sheds just a little bit of light on what's going on, and Higurashi no naku Koro ni kai, the second season, provides a bit more clarity. The second season is currently showing in Japan, and I believe the fansubs are up to episode 10 or 11.

You had to figure it would be a pretty violent series, as the opening scene was a brutal baseball bat killing. Still, it doesn't quite prepare one for Shion's arc, which involved a lot of murders, self-mutilation, and one of the most psychotic girls ever to grace an anime.
    Last edited by gren; Sep 19, 2007 at 06:41 PM.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

~always by your side~ Radarix Champion, Virus 2 Champion, Virus 3 Champion fireandice is off to a good start fireandice's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea but Spike'sRose is right they don't really show you what is happeneing but they let you know thru shadows and sounds. Plus that opening with the baseball bat is what really caught my attention to begin with. It makes you sit back and think WTF is going on here!

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the most intriguing thing is trying to figure out which events are actually happening, and which ones are just by-products of the character's fear, anger, and paranoia. Like Rena and the maggots...they were clearly shown, but were they really there or just part of the "curse"? Is the curse itself even real? Only Rika seems to know what's what, and she doesn't really say much about it until the second season.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Thanks

I did have fun trying to figure out what was actually happening, and what was the paranoia. In the end, I still wasn't sure! Shion's arc is pretty much the worst one, and I agree that she's the most psycho girl in anime! I supposed she had a reason to be a little crazy!
    I haven't seen any of the second season yet, and I am so excited! I have a lot of theories as to what's going on with this village. I'd like to play the games and read the books as well...

My friend showed me the first episode, and that opening sequence is absolutely horrible! It made me recoil a little! LOL! But I just couldn't stop watching it. ^_^

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Man...this series caught me off guard. I bought it without any knowledge of it beforehand...I never thought that it'd be such a "dark" feeling anime. Ah...what was it? It was either the preview or the openings to one of the episodes...the one in which Rika-chan (so cute...but...) is with Shion and she...well, takes the knife and puts it to her head...(>x<) Ugh...I hate children, girls getting injured...both in anime and in the real world.

But I guess thats what makes it good, the gap between in the "light" and the "dark", between the normal days and the "HOLY CRAP!! WTF is going on!?" days.

...and from what I've watched I can agree that Shion's arc IS the most terrifying.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast