Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Anime Purchases for the year 2007

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Your Best Anime Purchases for the year 2007

Grumble Grumble Grumble

So here we are in the second week of November, with the end of the year fast approaching. Out of all of the Anime that you spent your hard earned money on to purchase (DVDs and High Definition formats only. Fansubs and TV channels con't count) which ones are the most memorable, that your proud to have sitting on your shelf and would recommend other people to try???

For myself, the outstanding series purchase for a series that was new in 2007 would be 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia'. This series took one of the 3 'Best Anime TV Series' Award at this years Tokyo Anime Fair, the ending theme made it to the top music charts in Japan, and it broke Anime DVD sales records right and left. The Limited Edition release (I don't usually collect Limited Edition releases, but with Haruhi, I made an exception) was a well designed release, and had the special Omake of having an additional DVD with the episodes in the original TV broadcast order. (Something that was not available in the Japanese release)

After this, the release competition becomes more blurry. 'Black Lagoon' was a dark and gritty series about a group of modern day pirates, with a woman that would gleefully kill you with a smile. Very high production values, and a unique metal collection case. The only thing that can be faulted with this series is that the release of the second half has been deferred with the shutdown of GENEON USA distribution...

'Hellsing Ultimate' is another exceptional high quality OVA release, and a delightfully violent and bloody little series. And for once we have a Vampire character who can behave like a real bad ass vampire is suppose to behave. This is another series affected by the shutdown of GENEON USA distribution, though its only a matter of time before someone else picks up this popular and valuable license...

The next best release would be 'Ergo Proxy' which is simply the most exception 'Cyber Punk' genre series to come out in a long time. Taking place on a dead earth where the survivors confine themselves inside sealed dome cities, the main character (a goth government investigator) becomes involved in the chase of a monster, that leads down the path to the meaning of existence and reality.

The last of the exceptional series would be 'Le Chevalier D'Eon' where you take famous characters from just before the French Revolution, and write a behind the scenes story of mystery, betrayal, and intrigue

The best comedy series for 2007 would be 'Nerima Daikon Brothers' directed by Nabeshin of 'Excel Saga' who had the gall to write the first Anime Musical, (and to put a parody of Prime Minister Korizumi and Michael Jackson side by side in the same scene) and the talent to be able to pull it off.

And special mention for exceptional value has to be made of the Funimation Digipack release of 'Slayers' and of 'Initial D First State' and 'Initial D Second Stage', all of which provide exceptional value for the money...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Your Best Anime Purchases for the year 2007

i think, by far, the DVD collections of Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho (both by Funimation) were the best anime things we bought this year! with those things, you're collecting history~!

^_^ the quality of the re-touching and dubbing really push standards when it comes to revitalizing anime, and with the DBZ version, the multiple language option really made it something special. you could pick the full on Japanese soundtrack (voices, music, everything), the English TV version (what you saw on Cartoon Network), or English with Japanese sound track. for me, that really put it over the top!

as for YuYu, i had always known the show was good, but since they re-did everything, the quality of the story really shines through. and the fact that the first 3 DVDs came with chibi keychains of that characters helped a lot too!

all theshows mentioned here were un edited, so getting to see all the blood gave a new feel! especially in DBZ! people actually... were like, murdered or something! Frieza actually killed everyone! you didn't see that in the CN version!

Otaku crimson is off to a good start crimson's Avatar
    Thanks

haha... i don't really know if you think it's a great purchase... but i got samurai x, and the prequel of samurai x, as well as kiddy grade 1 and 2 for just Php 5000... you do the conversion... but i think it was a great deal!

it was an original... i guess it's an achievement cause a lot of people here prefer pirated versions rather than originals... and plus i got them at a great offer... it was the 10th year anniversary of the video shop... and they sold things in bargain!
    i'll choose to love whoever i wish to love and nobody can stop me from doing so ----

crimson
    edited from SamBakZa.net

Otaku magic soccer Champion, Badger Racing Champion, Penalty Master Champion, Mouse Wars Champion, Poopshoot Champion, RV Cart Dart Champion, Park The Caravan Champion, Radio Rampage Champion, Roman Rumble Champion, Catcho Champion, Planarity Champion, Dead eye puzzle Champion, Jurassic Realm Champion, Schatzgraeber Champion, Quick Brick Champion, Cannonball Follies 3 - Cold Front Champion, Dungeon Hunt Champion Jepray is off to a good start Jepray's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah, Im with Len on all those picks mentioned, as i have them all too. i think "Harumi" and "Black Lagoon" are the tops of my 2007 spending spree.
    I just picked up "FLAG", and it looks promising. a look at life as an Embedded reporter, its almost like a look at how Iraq is happening. with reporters following troops into the action. The country is diffrent but you will instantly see the parallels of it.
    Along with "Pumkin Scissors" its been a good year...I hope 2008 will show equal promise of great titles
    Don't Panic

Otaku ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives may be famous one day ska_lives's Avatar
    Thanks

My meager budget has not allowed for a hefty number of purchases. but i did however get ahold of the Hokuto no Ken anime (movie), and got a great deal on twilight of the darkmaster. i hope to get the hokuto no ken series set soon

Yo, this beast was by Lowshuwa
    my drawings

Otaku crimson is off to a good start crimson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ska_lives View Post
    My meager budget has not allowed for a hefty number of purchases. but i did however get ahold of the Hokuto no Ken anime (movie), and got a great deal on twilight of the darkmaster. i hope to get the hokuto no ken series set soon
    hey? who has a lot of money anyway... haha... like any other normal being in the planet what we do is save... we save for the things that matter most to us... and for the things we want... gogogo!

i hope you get more anime hot stuff! haha... just like me... i hope i get more too!
    i'll choose to love whoever i wish to love and nobody can stop me from doing so ----

crimson
    edited from SamBakZa.net

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

to be quite honest I've been spending my hard earned cash elsewhere as of late. Sadly no series has sparked my interest for purchase this year, with the exception of Beck. Its more like a guilty pleasure than a serious purchase, I feel kind of nostagic about the characters and feel like I could replace some of them with my old friends growing up. Not to mention the box set is styled to look like an amp Too bad I hear this series was a joke in Japan. I rather enjoyed it.

Otaku Lilium is off to a good start
    Thanks

the best anime i puchised so far was Fate/Stay Night episodes 1-24 Elfin Lied and Full meatle Panic
    I bumpedded my head 98% of AO members are yaoi or lollicon fans. NOT. where all 100% anime fans GO ANIME, ANIME YAHHH

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast