Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How Come Americans Don't Read Manga?

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How Come Americans Don't Read Manga?

Aren't those two titles several years old?

Osu!! Karate Bu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are those what your talking about?

If so I can see why they weren't brought over. Tokyopop wasn't Tokyopop until 97 those two ended their runs a few years before that.

They may eventually be brought over you never know, but with those manga being several years old. And running for several years its very unlikely, if those were the ones your talking about?

Anyway whats popular in Japan may fall on its face here, or something that fell on its face there may be loved here.
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Randomly Renny!!! XD Boiler Breakdown Champion, Lotads Lament Champion, Crystal Island Champion, Festive Fallout Champion Renn may be famous one day Renn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    There are many reasonable reasons why Americans don't read manga.

1. The cultural differences between the two cultures.
    2. The way manga is formated to be read.
    3. Most Americans are too lazy to read.
    4. Americans don't read unless its is a magazine about worthless crap such as fashion.

The list goes on. Right now manga isn't popular as anime is in some parts of the nation perhaps, because manga companies don't advertise manga as heavely as some American anime companies do.
    I think your right about this..but americans just don't uderstand it either.

'This world is trash. Cursed by the Fon Master...'

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post
    Aren't those two titles several years old?

Osu!! Karate Bu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are those what your talking about?

If so I can see why they weren't brought over. Tokyopop wasn't Tokyopop until 97 those two ended their runs a few years before that.

They may eventually be brought over you never know, but with those manga being several years old. And running for several years its very unlikely, if those were the ones your talking about?

Anyway whats popular in Japan may fall on its face here, or something that fell on its face there may be loved here.
    Those are the ones I'm talking about. The falling on your face part is true. Trigun and Outlaw star were popular in America but unpopular in Japan.

Another thing is that people in America don't ask what manga you saw. They ask what anime you've seen. Americans have over 50 channels and watching television shows is more prevalent here than reading comic books. I think Japan only has like 10 channels. Like what people in this thread have been saying.

It's not uncommon for people to say stuff like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I haven't read the manga, but the anime is pretty sweet. I just caught the first episode not too long ago.

??* Judge and Executioner ??* White Van Man Champion, Home Run Derby Champion, Mahjongg sport Champion, Jewel Champion, The Asteroids Champion koga23 may be famous one day koga23 may be famous one day koga23's Avatar
    Thanks

I mean i can't speak for all but as for me i read manga when i can get may hands on it.Its the one thing i like to read books or other stuff i just don't bother with.But if i compare it with me watching anime i watch anime more but thats due to its just easier to get new eps the new manga some times.
    ....Player Killer....
    ??* "There is nothing to fear but F.E.A.R. it self -(F.E.A.R) " ??*

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't disagree with you on that. I enjoy manga though, If I like the manga I check out the anime and if I like the anime I end up checking out the manga. I do admit that I watch more anime than read manga, but thats more of a demand issue.

If you're watching a brand new anime series buying the disc one at a time it could take six months to a year to finish the show, but for the manga if it was say 10 volumes that could take up to two years to finish.

If there was some way companies like Tokyopop and Viz could pump out manga faster with out half-*ssing it, I think it noticeably increase the number of manga readers in the states. (Actually Viz is doing that right now, with the Naruto manga putting out two or three issues each month until the new year.)
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

I think here are some reasons why Americans don't read manga.

1) The wait time for anime vs. manga (in general)
    2) The cost of unlicensed anime (free) vs. manga ($10-20)
    3) Americans have short attention span, so for you to ask them to read that's like torture.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Banned Pyramid Gold Champion, Triathlon Champion, Panik: Pogomania Champion Little negi sensei is off to a good start
    Thanks

We do.Just not as much cause its harded to find in america.I read what i can find.

And legend i dont we dont have short attention spans.Our lives are just very occupied and sometimes we dont have the time to sit down and read(Not me but other americans)

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I was wondering how come Americans don't read manga? All the time you hear anime fans whining that the series should be continued when the manga has been running for the equivalent of 5 seasons or more. Hell alot of people don't realize manga is more popular than anime in Japan. What's the deal?
    They do. But in the US, they try to charge $10-20.00 per volume for something that can be read in a matter of hours and there are very few resale shops in which to purchase titles at a discount.

In Japan, manga is $3-8 brand new and can be purchased for $1 a piece at any of thousands of used-book shops throughout the country.

People can't AFFORD to read manga in the US the way they do in Japan.

Anime, on the other hand, is far cheaper (and more popular with adults) in America than in Japan...

If we're speaking comparatively: Japan is also a public-transportation culture, where in the US we all use private transportation. Most Japanese (reguardless of age) have a 30min-2 hour commute to school or work on a train or bus... this is a perfect time for reading. By comparison, the Japanese spend very little time at home (where they would be watching anime)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast