Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How Come Americans Don't Read Manga?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How Come Americans Don't Read Manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Of course the original statement by Shodokan isn't true at all.
    A whole lot of Americans read manga.
    ...just nowhere near as many as in asian countries... and only those who are fans of anime... :P

Maybe it would be better to say "A whole lot of teenagers and college-aged American otaku read manga"... I don't think I've ever seen an American businessman on the train in mahattan cracking open a copy of Love Hina.

Compared to Japan: we read hardly any comics at all... American or otherwise.

I still think it has a lot to do with the cost and nature of our commutes. But on the whole, there is a prevailing perception in the United States that comic books are for children and fanboys. Most "normal" people don't read them.

Newbie GypsySimbalaRae is off to a good start
    Thanks

Thats not completely true. Sure you might not see a bussiness man reading one of them, but plenty of people who don't watch anime read them(at least where I'm at)

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GypsySimbalaRae View Post
    Thats not completely true. Sure you might not see a bussiness man reading one of them, but plenty of people who don't watch anime read them(at least where I'm at)
    People who aren't (and have never been) into Japanese animation read manga in the states? O_o; Introduce me to one.

I'm sure they exist... but it seems to be an extremely rare exception. To the point that I honestly doubt you know one by name and could introduce me ^^;

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

^ I can see that happening, most book stores I've ever been to here in the states put the manga right next to the comic books. So if you're a comic book geek and see one of those thick manga volumes. How could they resist. Thats how I started collecting manga, but I admit I watched anime before I went toward the manga light.
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post
    So if you're a comic book geek and see one of those thick manga volumes.
    operative word being "geek"...

Manga caters to geeks. Anime and comics are a gateway drug for manga... and those still only appeal to a relatively small, fringe and largely pre-teen-twentysomething audience.

MOST people in the United States could care less about comics or animation in general. They're considered to be "for children" or "dorks"... and while their target audience has a great deal of disposable income and can support a small industry: the industry is already reaching saturation with only a relative handful of publishers in the game.

In the US, we might have half an aisle of comics in a big bookstore. In Japan, there is an entire FLOOR or building devoted to comics. They're on sale at every news-stand, convenience store, grocery store and book store in the nation.

That's because "regular people": housewives, businessmen, small children, "cool" high school students, college students, etc. etc. all read comics. Ask any Japanese person "What's your favorite comic book?" and they'll probably have an answer for you. You can shout that question in a crowded mall in the United States and only a handful of people in the entire place could honestly answer.

Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Thanks

I'm an American and I LOVE Manga & Anime! I think I disagree with the comment about Americans being to lazy too read. Most can read just fine, as long as it's something that they are interested in. I've seen people pick up thick mags about auto whatever, and read it through. I am sure I looked at them the same way they look at me.
    Picture me sitting there (insert your fav. anime/manga character as me), carefully holding the right side of my manga opened just enough to see & read everything, but not crease the spine (I am such a geek). Brow creased with concentration, laughing at all the appropriate moments, (heavens help me) even tearing up at moments.
    I do agree with the comment about, most Americans not liking to read. I have heard that comment many times. My favorite, "How can you JUST sit there reading, my G-d how many pages is that thing!" Granted most of the H.P. books were long, but I have read longer.
    I agree with the comment about advertising. Manga is not promoted as much as Anime & Comics (here). I grew up drowning in comics (I still have my ElfQuest). I was watching Anime LONG before I had ever heard of Anime. I had heard of Manga, but never saw it, so I relay had no concept of what it was. Now the Borders book store near me is has it. The thing that relay sucked me into Manga was Shojo Beat. They draw you in with their addictive stories, get you hooked, and then BLAM! they yank your favorite stories, and make you buy them in the books. Then they introduce a new story line, and it starts all over again!

Newbie Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc may be famous one day Sirhc's Avatar
    Thanks

When I first learnt of the words Anime and Manga, I origionally thought they were one and the same :/ Anyways I see some, not lots, but some people who read manga but I don't think peopl truely reconize the difference between the origional culture/country that made the origional, and just understand: "Well, it's on TV" or "It's in our Bookstore" So they might sometimes read a 'comic book' that's actually an origional manga series from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsurara
    "dorks"...
    Woot, I'm a dork!

Naruto Shippuden >> 51 | Gundam 00 >> 24 | FMA >> Ch. 81

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I was wondering how come Americans don't read manga? All the time you hear anime fans whining that the series should be continued when the manga has been running for the equivalent of 5 seasons or more. Hell alot of people don't realize manga is more popular than anime in Japan. What's the deal?
    WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU FROM??? I've got more manga than I do anime and I'm FROM USA!! Every otaku I know where I live reads manga, and probably has more manga than anime--for the sole purpose of being ahead of all the Cartoon Network junkies. The only American otaku that I know of who doesn't read manga live under rocks and don't see the light of day, which prevents them from reading in the first place.

"Americans don't read manga..." Don't make me laugh.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast