Closed Thread

Thread: Looking for some advice on Comics/Manga

Newbie Mr Imagination is off to a good start
    Thanks

Looking for some advice on Comics/Manga

I'm thinking of starting my own comic book. Are there any others here who have their own comic book? What are some choices to get it distributed? Would anyone be interested in maybe swapping ads -I put an ad for your comic in my book and you put one in yours.

I am also thinking about having guest writers for some issues.

Best Regards

MrImagination

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Looking for some advice on Comics/Manga

you're thinking way too far a head in the scheme of things

first thing you should do is nail down a story line and characters, choose a layout for your comic, then work up a back log of comics for at least 1 or 2 months so that you can post comics at regular intervals so your followers don't lose interest with lack of updates. this also allows you to work on new comics while you're posting the ones you've already made.

Then get your own website. If you do get a website, it is best to pay for it on your own with your own domain name, so that it looks professional, people aren't going to take you seriously, or remember your URL if its something like Blablahblah.myfreehostingsite.com. Basic hosting packages for when you're starting out are pretty cheap, 9 to 10 dollars for a year on some hosting sites, and domain registration is about the same. If you get popular, and you need more bandwidth, you can always upgrade your package later on.

Stay away from ads when you're first starting out. People might be turned off if they come to your comic and get bombarded by ads and think you're just out to make money.

Then choose your medium, best bet for starting out is doing a webcomic, there is a free comic theme for wordpress called comicpress (ComicPress - The WordPress Comic Publishing Theme).

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I've already taken the first steps that you listed. I have a story line down and have written about 4 issues. The comic is not drawn yet. I am not the artist for that part.

I was thinking about putting out one issue per month. So, I would be 4 months ahead right now -if they were drawn.

I did want to put 2 -3 pages of ads in the book -which would make each issue about 23 pages with ads. I was trying to pattern it off of the X-Men comics. Do you think that is too much?

I also have a website that I was thinking about posting the issues on. But if there is some other form of distribution I would prefer to just put a link on my website. I will have to check out comicpress.org.

Thanks again,
    Mr. Imagination

Thanks

I've gone ahead and have started a comic book called "The Summoner."
    Please check it out and tell me what you think! I've put it in a podcast form.
    PodOmatic | Podcast - Walter Pierce's Podcast

Thanks!!!!

Closed Thread