Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: originality in manga

Decapitation?DontBePicky! Raimann may be famous one day Raimann may be famous one day Raimann's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: originality in manga

Quote Originally Posted by mangirl View Post
    Not that im complaining but am i the only person who is finding that is getting less and less original and fun......Like the other day i was reading GTO(real classic book)and another almost exactaly the same(not mentioning names due to the fact that it may incriminate me at a leter stage).please tell me im not just a lone critic .
    you are not the only one feeling this way. many manga producers are to lazy to think of ideas, and resort to a copy of another plot that was once sucessful. but what they dont realise is that smart people will catch on and stop reading. back way back when, people actually cared about what was put into a great manga book, but now its all production time, and how much money i can make.

Want Credits Fast? Love The Thrill Of Gambling? Then Come On Down And See For Yourself!
    http://www.animeonline.net/f5/nfl-football-31440/

Otaku Fallen Hero may be famous one day Fallen Hero may be famous one day Fallen Hero's Avatar
    Thanks

A creation of any sort needs a base a structure if you will. How do you build something when you don't know how to start. You have to take what others have done(not steal merely as inspiration)and reinvent it from your own prespective. Or you can take the driven approach and go out on a limb and create what u want instead of what u know is good. I would like to see less of the latter of the two and more original, ground breaking anime/manga.

Newbie Stormraven may be famous one day Stormraven may be famous one day
    Thanks

It's not so much a matter of originality as you think. Granted, there is always some imitation of any successful fiction, whether intentional, inspired, or chance duplication. But there are other factors involved.

Fiction has always been divided into two catagories:
    Groundbreakers - These are generally created in response to a new aspect of changing society. This can be a new career option, a new product, new scientific ideas, the clash between traditional ways of life and new modern influences, etc, etc, etc, into infinity.

On rare occasions you will find a truly unique creation, but these often do not gain recognition for some time because most people require something familiar to latch onto as a starting point to view the rest of the story from.

Formula Fiction - This isn't actualy an insult. Almost every story taps into some formula or other. Analyze your favorite fiction, the ones you think are the most original, and you'll still find recognizable patterns. Where our delight comes from is in the variation on the patterns.

What happens is one of two things.

1) Someone comes up with something unique (new pattern or new variation). Unique item becomes a success. Others fall in love with pattern or see success and copy (usually with their own variations thrown in). Some good, some bad. Market gets saturated with copies. People enjoy up to point that it all becomes too predictable. Demand something new. Someone comes up with something unique. Cycle repeats.

2) Someone is introduced to a new genre. There's a period while the person is asorbing all the new patterns. Then there's the period while they are able to enjoy the variations on the patterns. Then, when the person becomes very familiar with the patterns, they look around and see there isn't anything really new. At this point they think the level of originality has dropped, when in reality it's about the same as it was before.

So if your bored, hang in there. The cycle will come around again.

Abomination Smacky Champion, Celebrity Power Lifte Champion, Crash Test Dummy High Jump Champion, Super Track 2001 Champion, Endless Flight Champion, Drop Kick Champion, Bloody Rage Champion, Dropkick The Faint Champion, Splash Back Champion Spin Da Ish is off to a good start Spin Da Ish's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stormraven View Post
    It's not so much a matter of originality as you think. Granted, there is always some imitation of any successful fiction, whether intentional, inspired, or chance duplication. But there are other factors involved.

Fiction has always been divided into two catagories:
    Groundbreakers - These are generally created in response to a new aspect of changing society. This can be a new career option, a new product, new scientific ideas, the clash between traditional ways of life and new modern influences, etc, etc, etc, into infinity.

On rare occasions you will find a truly unique creation, but these often do not gain recognition for some time because most people require something familiar to latch onto as a starting point to view the rest of the story from.

Formula Fiction - This isn't actualy an insult. Almost every story taps into some formula or other. Analyze your favorite fiction, the ones you think are the most original, and you'll still find recognizable patterns. Where our delight comes from is in the variation on the patterns.

What happens is one of two things.

1) Someone comes up with something unique (new pattern or new variation). Unique item becomes a success. Others fall in love with pattern or see success and copy (usually with their own variations thrown in). Some good, some bad. Market gets saturated with copies. People enjoy up to point that it all becomes too predictable. Demand something new. Someone comes up with something unique. Cycle repeats.

2) Someone is introduced to a new genre. There's a period while the person is asorbing all the new patterns. Then there's the period while they are able to enjoy the variations on the patterns. Then, when the person becomes very familiar with the patterns, they look around and see there isn't anything really new. At this point they think the level of originality has dropped, when in reality it's about the same as it was before.

So if your bored, hang in there. The cycle will come around again.

it seems that we are repeating ourselves and such and also the originality has dropped knowing that the same plot has been used more than once or twice

Devoted Otaku ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity may be famous one day ZeRoGravity's Avatar
    Thanks

Give it up, originality is dead. Even some of Shakespeare's play are based on some other work I don't remember.

I don't care about originality, as long as the content is executed nicely or better than the other works of the same genre/ideas/media or whatever, then originality doesn't matter.

Otaku alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3 may be famous one day alex1_phang3's Avatar
    Malaysia -> Sabah -> Kota Kinabalu -> Jalan Kepayan
    Thanks

A littlerepitition is O.K as long as the artist can hide it nicely so no one can notice it . . . . . . (Btw, I don't the sig. that shows my typing error, hope Hassun can kindly remove it)

Otaku Mitsu-O! is off to a good start Mitsu-O!'s Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry about originality. Some of the stories are getting quite old and sometimes you seee the same stuff over but sometimes originality scares people. People don't watch T.V. to see something new and different, they watch it to see the same stuff over!! Cleverness makse people feel stupid and surprises make people feel scared and insucure!

However, despite what poeple think, there are some shows which crosses boundaries. But those are usually the unpopular ones.

I will always keep my eyes open for new stuff. ^_^

Newbie mangirl is off to a good start mangirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeRoGravity
    Give it up, originality is dead. Even some of Shakespeare's play are based on some other work I don't remember.
    now that comment was going a bit far shakespears work no matter what medium they are told through are beautiful stories that tells a story better than anything else, shakespear is original cause it has never found competition nearly as good as its
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Feb 15, 2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast