+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Rip-offs"?

Newbie RYUKLOVESAPPLES4EVA is off to a good start
    Thanks

Unhappy "Rip-offs"?

Firstly, let's leave digimon out of this, since in reality, the only way it rips off pokemon is in the name. Clear? Right, let's continue...

Isn't it strange how there seem to be some mangas which bear uncanny resemblances to more famous mangas? I can only think of two examples:

+Anima, which has roughly the same character personalities and 'picking up friends on the way' concept of DragonBall
    Flame of Recca (Truth be told, I actually don't remember what I was told about this. All I remember is that I thought it sounded disturbingly similar to Naruto)

Any more examples?
    I'll take a potato chip...*gasp* *gasp*...and EAT IT!!!!

Ever So Awesome Kaboom Champion, Archery Champion, Crazy Pool 2 Champion, Ninja-Boy Champion, Bubble Shooter Champion zyta may be famous one day zyta may be famous one day zyta's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: "Rip-offs"?

It is hard to believe that Flame of Recca is a rip-off of Naruto as Naruto came later - Flame 1995, Naruto 1997. It is more likely to be the other way around, but as a reader and watcher of both, the similarity isn't that great to begin with.

As a writer myself, I know just how impossible it is not to unconsciously take another person's idea, twist it, and add it to your own world. You could argue that all mecha are stolen products of the Mobile Suit Gundam series, slice of life from Sazae-san, futuristic products from Doraemon, cyborgs from Astro Boy, ect.

Visit my blog: Rewriting Life

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zyta For This Useful Post:

RYUKLOVESAPPLES4EVA (Dec 10, 2008)

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't say rip off so much as inspiration. Many great writers tend to have the same ideas and, like Zyta mentioned, unconsciously "borrow" the style of some one else.

Now, a blatant ripoff would be the same story, same characters, and same motives, just with a few minor changes. The same art style, however, is different because there are only so many ways one can draw something.
    Why hello there!

Newbie RYUKLOVESAPPLES4EVA is off to a good start
    Thanks

Smile Re: "Rip-offs"?

Quote Originally Posted by zyta View Post
    It is hard to believe that Flame of Recca is a rip-off of Naruto as Naruto came later - Flame 1995, Naruto 1997.

Oh, ok. That I didn't know before. Oh, well. Like I said, I haven't actually read Flame of Recca before, so I think I should take a peek at my friend's copy.
    I'll take a potato chip...*gasp* *gasp*...and EAT IT!!!!

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RYUKLOVESAPPLES4EVA View Post
    +Anima, which has roughly the same character personalities and 'picking up friends on the way' concept of DragonBall
    but isn't that a standard in a lot of animes? like Pokemon? and Sailor Moon? and even DBZ? Yu Yu Hakusho? even Flame of Recca picks up friends along the way.

Now Dragonball may have come before all those, but it's not so much that manga-peoples are taking each others ideas when it comes to that, it's just that it's an established plot device to introduce new characters, relationships, and most importantly, keep the story going!

+ Reply to Thread