Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Too expensive

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Too expensive

Well there is an alternative for those of you who don't have money and is not old enough for a job yet. After all the job of owning mangas isn't cheap, and IT IS that expensive. You could go to your local library and I am quite certain they have it. They had it ten years ago when I was kid, so I would assume that even the smaller towns of America should have it now. If not, you can also go to your local bookstore, buy a cup of joe from them and read the comics there. I know many people who do that...(that's why I don't buy my mangas there)

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

You're paying for the liscencing fee, the translation fee, royalties to the Japanese artists, and for the English-language design/layout artist in the process. The original artist needs to get paid, the original publisher needs to get paid, the company handling the liscence needs to get paid, the distributor/publisher needs to get paid, and the book store needs to get paid... that's a lot of people with their hands out for one little book... and that's part of why the price is so high.

The other is that the audience for manga is rather limited... and thus the price of a liscence/manufacturing run needs to be offset by a higher product price. Sort of like what happens when you try to split hotel rooms. 2 people in a $400 suite sucks... but put 8 in and it's $50 a night for everyone.

If you want cheap comics: learn Japanese.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I generally have to agree with everyone in the thread: Manga (And anything else that deals with our particular likes) is pretty damn expensive. A job is generally required to get what you want in life.

And you're complaining about 10 bucks a manga? HAH! I have to pay almost ~$16/book because the only store that keeps the series I'm reading in stock is a Chapters|Indigo, and they like to price gouge. I just spent 50 bucks on just 3 volumes of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. Not to mention over the last 4 years, I've spent well over a $1000 on manga and anime dvd's alone. Then there's the costs of attending almost 3 or 4 conventions a year, buying figurines, wallscrolls, posters... Need I go on?

Newbie SetoOnlyLove is off to a good start SetoOnlyLove's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, I agree it is and for me its not a good time to waste money on something like that. But my school has manga books that I could check out and read whenever.

I used to go to the libary a lot just to read manga but I usually just check it out but I never have time to return it and then I would have to pay for it ^^;; once it was like $35 since I forgot about them.

And my aunt works at a place that has sales on manga too. Sometimes they are free but they just rip the title page out to tell you that it is. And sometimes it only cost 50 cents or so. She was nice enough to get some for me. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have any magan at all ^^;;
    Itachi has his times too <33

Otaku Byaku Guy is off to a good start Byaku Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

I know!! Its stupid! The manga is better than the anime, sometimes. Some manga is hard to find too!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Byaku Guy View Post
    I know!! Its stupid! The manga is better than the anime, sometimes. Some manga is hard to find too!
    Yes, its expensive, this is a fact of life that you cannot change. As for it being hard to find, any bookstore WILL have a section devoted to it. Any comic store in their right mind will have some for sale. Then theres always getting it online.

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

I've only done this once, but you could buy the manga, read it (being sure not to bend the binding), then bring it back to the shop you bought it from.

Otaku Redragon495 is off to a good start Redragon495's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    LOL..that is exactly what I was about to say Hassun.....
    and there are always discount shops and you can buy Manga really cheep on the Internet..if you do not mind that they are used....unless you like the crisp clean look..then you right.they are expensive.....
    I don't mind manga being used. And for the website would it be like amazon.com or someplace like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Well there is an alternative for those of you who don't have money and is not old enough for a job yet. After all the job of owning mangas isn't cheap, and IT IS that expensive. You could go to your local library and I am quite certain they have it. They had it ten years ago when I was kid, so I would assume that even the smaller towns of America should have it now. If not, you can also go to your local bookstore, buy a cup of joe from them and read the comics there. I know many people who do that...(that's why I don't buy my mangas there)
    I used to do this but I always forget to return them and since the library is like 3 or 4 mile away from my house I usually get my mom to take them back. But she forgets also so right now i have a fifty dollar fine on like 7 books\manga(they were due back Jan 11 and I returned them last week, and with two notes telling me they were late which up the fine $4 dollars)
    I sEe YoU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast