Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Manga gender/age-group?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

What's Your Manga gender/age-group?

fact #1 - In Japan, comics are sorted/classified by their target audience. Each comic label specializes in material aimed primarily a specific gender and age group. The main four being: Shounen (young boys), Shoujo (young girls), Seinen (men), Josei (women). The former are intended primarily for students, the latter for adults.

fact #2 - More girls and women currently buy shounen Jump than any similar shoujo or josei comic magazines.

Obviously not everyone is reading within their own gender/age group :P

So what's your own manga gender/age?

Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Thanks

Re: What's Your Manga gender/age-group?

Funny thing, I never worry about what group (gender or age) I buy. I glance at, maybe I will check it out. If I enjoy it, I buy it.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
    Funny thing, I never worry about what group (gender or age) I buy. I glance at, maybe I will check it out. If I enjoy it, I buy it.
    The question wasn't meant to be about what you go out looking for ~ rather what you end up buying/liking the most and whether or not you fit the intended audience bracket or not.

ie. are the girls all reading "girly" stuff? Are the men all reading "manly" stuff? Are the people reading stuff meant for adults really old enough to be reading it?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Well perhaps you can tell me which group I belong to.

Let's see what I got on my shelf...

Oh my goddess
    FMP
    Crayon Shin Chan
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Maison Ikkoku
    Steam Detectives
    Lunar Legend Tsukihime

Most of them were from my younger days though.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Well perhaps you can tell me which group I belong to.

Let's see what I got on my shelf...

Oh my goddess
    FMP
    Crayon Shin Chan
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Maison Ikkoku
    Steam Detectives
    Lunar Legend Tsukihime

Most of them were from my younger days though.
    Most of those are seinen (Men's) titles. Crayon Shinchan's actually a series for little kids here in Japan ^^; But something tells me cultural differences would make it entirely inappropriate for its own target audience in the US.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Most of those are seinen (Men's) titles. Crayon Shinchan's actually a series for little kids here in Japan ^^;
    Wow you kidding right?? I am surprised not because it is a series for kids, but more surprised that kids would understand that sort of humor minus the ass and penis thing...I was expecting to be early teens.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Wow you kidding right?? I am surprised not because it is a series for kids, but more surprised that kids would understand that sort of humor minus the ass and penis thing...I was expecting to be early teens.
    The US dub is largely improvised. More often than not, it doesn't match the original dialogue (though the original is hilarious in it's own right). I'm guessing it took too much effort to explain all of the cultural references and was easier to wipe the slate clean and just write a new script to match the animation. The American version is dirtier than the Japanese version.

The Crayon Shinchan manga is a direct translation (with a few names/references changed to make sense to Americans).

Newbie coeli is off to a good start coeli's Avatar
    Thanks

I usually end up liking either shoujo or seinen manga. Well, seinen especially since I'm into samurai-themed manga targeted for mature audiences like Lady Snowblood, Shigurui, Lone Wolf & Cub, etc.

coeliandjeff.blogspot.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast