Closed Thread

Thread: gantz ending

Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Thanks

gantz ending

I don't get the ending, did kei live or did he really die, or was it all just a attempted of saying that he was imaging all of this as he was dying, I don't know? because gantz disappeared and kei's picture did not go b&w after the clock reached zero, it was a very ackward ending and a big disappointment for me b/c I thought that the series was pretty good, but it finished too quickly, does it have a continueation in the manga (is there one) or is this it.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: gantz ending

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The anime series 'Gantz' committed the common sin of catching up with the Manga series that it was based on. Because the Manga series was still ongoing at the time of the anime series production, it was simply not possible to create a definitive ending to the Anime series while staying true to the Manga series it was based on...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Hoods may be famous one day Hoods may be famous one day Hoods's Avatar
    Thanks

And you can tell by the pacing of the series that they were trying to stretch a little bit of plot over a lot of episodes. If you count they only went in the gantz games 3-4 times over 24 episodes.
    I make black history everyday. I don't need a month

Banned radeclew is off to a good start radeclew's Avatar
    Thanks

you know why the ending sucks.... because the anime was cancel, that's why...
    but the story keeps going on the manga.... if you like gantz, go read the manga
    the story is good, I think you will like it.... am hook on it, as i did with the anime.

anyway.... all anime that had been cancel before it's time had sucky endings...
    except for chobits.....that was a good ending.....lol

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by radeclew View Post
    you know why the ending sucks.... because the anime was cancel, that's why...
    but the story keeps going on the manga.... if you like gantz, go read the manga
    the story is good, I think you will like it.... am hook on it, as i did with the anime.

anyway.... all anime that had been cancel before it's time had sucky endings...
    except for chobits.....that was a good ending.....lol
    Actually, 'Gantz' wan't canceled. It was only funded for 2 seasons of 13 episodes each. (The 2nd season was shown on cable, which is why they were able to have Hentai scenes..) There are basically two reasons why there isn't any more 'Gantz' anime...
    1. At the time the production of the series has ended, they had run out of available Manga story to animate.
    2. Anime series shown in the Post-Midnight time slots don't have the ratings or merchandising income of indeterminate length 'Golden Hour' prime time family hour series such as 'Naruto', 'Bleach', 'Detective Conan' or 'One Piece'

Banned radeclew is off to a good start radeclew's Avatar
    Thanks

in others words they ran out of money......lol
    but they continue the thing on the manga.
    why... because is cheaper.....

wow I thought it was cancel..

Newbie Bearracuda is off to a good start
    Thanks

Regardless of the reasons Gantz ended, or why, I have to say I like the ending. It may not have remained consistant with the style or story of the rest of the series, but it still anchored on the deep psychological meaning beyond simply what you see, and that's why I liked the entire series anyway.

I'm going to explain the gantz ending, but first, I need to share a few conclusions I came to throughout the series that leads me to my theory on the show's ending:

1: Gantz was created by, and works for, a higher power. He has a job, he has great abilities, he's part computer, and he goes and gathers people to eliminate aliens in a highly developed, organized manner. So it's most likely that some species, maybe aliens, maybe the government, who it is doesn't matter, created Gantz. What matters is that Gantz is following orders. However, whoever they are, they're the ones receiving any aliens "sent" by the triangle gun.

2: Gantz is a person. Maybe not in the literal sense, because the creepy guy poked his ear and stuff showed up on screen, so he could be a cyborg, but he has a brain. Gantz has a sense of humor, and there was a person inside the ball, the other reason I think Gantz is a person is the ending, which I'll explain to you in a moment.

3: The old lady asking for directions is the physical representation of Gantz. For short, she is gantz. The creepy dude said Kei was scanned before he got teleported to the apartment, and he recalled that old lady specifically. So I think the old lady is either an illusion or some piece of equipment gantz sends out to scan each person when they're about to die so he can, quote unquote, "fax" them into the apartment.

Now, the ending. When Kei was first faxed in, or perhaps over time as kei completed missions, Gantz came to respect Kei. Whether it was his determination, his will to live, or simply his attitude, Gantz felt Kei wasn't just another person to kill aliens. So, when Kei told the old lady (AKA Gantz) to screw off, and figure it out on her own, Gantz came to the realization that he doesn't specifically need directions. He can think for himself. He has a free will. (this, btw, is the third reason I believe Gantz is a person) And so, Gantz decided not to follow orders. He wanted to be destroyed, he didn't want to continue making people hunt aliens. The reason could be that he feels sickened by the way he lives, stuck inside a ball, with nothing to do but what he's told. Perhaps the reason is because so many people died because of what he asked them to go out and do. The reason Gantz decided not to follow orders doesn't really matter, what does matter is what he decided to do after that. Gantz felt the need to end the meaningless cycle of death, and so, when everyone showed up, he told them to hunt Kei. He knew that by doing this, everyone would be confused, they'd conflict, they wouldn't trust each other. But most importantly, Kei would get pissed at him and try to kill him. He knew that Kei probably partly blamed Gantz for his friends dying, because of what Gantz had put them through, and by targeting Kei, he knew he could convince kei to attack him. That is the story of the ending. That is what happened, Gantz convinced Kei to end his existance. I don't know if Kei is alive, there are several possibilities and no way to divine which one was true. Kei could've been dead from the moment Gantz picked him up for the missions, and since Gantz was dead at the end, he could no longer "fax" Kei to keep him alive. Another possibility is that kei barely survived the train, and was in the hospital, and the entire series was simply a "dream" of sorts. The third possiblity is that once Kei defeated Gantz by standing up to the train (don't ask me how the fk he killed Gantz by going all spike on the train, I don't know) he simply survived, and was standing in the real world. The fourth possibility, and the one I liked the least, is that when Kei defeated Gantz, he got hit by the train again and really did die this time.

As for the 2 psycho killers being part of that, I don't believe they were there because of Gantz's doing, Gantz just picked up people about to die as he always does. However, they did have a purpose, and that purpose was to destroy the remainder of Kei's hope, and cement his determination to kill Gantz. By killing everyone else, the killers removed the possibility of everyone simply working together, and not doing anything about Gantz's orders, leaving Kei with no option but to face and destroy Gantz.

On a completely unrelated note, you may also be wondering whether or not Kei was dead, that answer is simple and complicated at the same time. Kei died. But before Kei died, Gantz faxed him into the apartment. So kei's original body died, but a 100% complete and exact replica of Kei lived on. The replica was created by Gantz in the apartment. So yes, Kei was alive, but every time Gantz "faxed" Kei somewhere, it destroyed his current body, and created a new one where Kei was being "faxed" to. So in a way, Kei was still alive, but had died like, 7 or 8 times. It's a pretty ridiculous concept to grasp, but if you have the imagination to do it, it makes sense. The prestige had a situation similar to this, if you've seen that movie. Great movie.

Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

To quote the Forum Rules...
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 1 month or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    Please read the Forum Rules located here...
    Anime Online - FAQ: GENERAL RULES:

Closing...

Closed Thread