Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

  1. #1
    Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts

    Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    I started off watching the anime, and while it did take a while to get into, addiction set in when I hit the Kyoto arc, and I had to keep watching. However, after the Kyoto arc, fillers set in (from episode 62 onwards) and that was when I quit watching the anime and started reading the manga. I'm glad those episodes were not aired, but they were included in the DVD release. Shaming the Rurouni Kenshin reputation, in my opinion. It was so good up 'til then.

    For those who're interested, the anime stops following the manga at the end of the Kyoto arc, which is basically the end of Volume 17, so start reading from Volume 18 and you won't have missed anything. Volume 18 picks right up from where the anime left off. Next up, the Enishi arc. A very satisfying finale.

    What I really don't understand is, why the anime directors decided to stop following the manga after the Kyoto arc. By all means, the Enishi arc/finale was the best of the Rurouni Kenshin manga. The fillers thereafter were in no way satisfying, and a dramatic contrast to the expectational standards following the Kyoto arc. They were painfully awful, if anything. The fact that not even the filler ending was aired means that it wasn't even a complete anime series.

    I understand that it may have been necessary for the filler episodes, as the anime quickly caught up with the manga, but why not finish off the anime with the Enishi arc? A break from production could have been called, and then picked up later with the Enishi arc. The ending of an anime is always important, and I mean no offense when I say, quite plainly, that the filler anime ending of Rurouni Kenshin was awful. Disappointing fans is no way to go about business.

    The manga ending was pleasing though.

    What did everyone else think of the anime and/or manga ending?

  2. #2
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    I actually think both the manga and the anime have lackluster last story arcs. The anime one is just plain horrible, an exemplary case of the "anime caught up with the manga" syndrome. So the anime creators had to make up a whole arc and they ended up with the incredibly awful Shimabara one.

    The manga on the other hand, clearly meant to tie up the loose endings in the story. Most prominently the origin of the X shaped scar. It starts out very awesomely with the past chapters but the end battles and the 'Sanosuke's family' story left a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned. I actually think Watsuki sensei grew tired of the series and wanted to pursue other projects.

    I didn't like the change in drawing style either. It really reached a high point during the (equally sublime) Kyoto arc of the manga. Actually I guess that's my opinion on the entire story, both in art and storytelling the manga reached incredible heights during the Kyoto arc but the parts before and after it couldn't match it.

    Which doesn't mean I look down on it, it's pretty much the best samurai fighting manga I have ever read and I gladly bought every volume. It just leaves me with that feeling that it could have been one of the best manga ever but just fell short in the end.

  3. #3
    Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    It starts out very awesomely with the past chapters but the end battles and the 'Sanosuke's family' story left a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.
    Personally, I would've preferred it if Sanosuke's story was left out. It could've been a filler arc for all that it's worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Which doesn't mean I look down on it, it's pretty much the best samurai fighting manga I have ever read and I gladly bought every volume. It just leaves me with that feeling that it could have been one of the best manga ever but just fell short in the end.
    Definitely! I'm especially thrilled with the many historical connections drawn, and the many references to actual historical events (even though it's mostly been warped to fit into the fiction genre). That was the main appeal to the storyline for me, but I guess that's where the appeal is lost for many. No one seems to want to watch a "historical anime", and the fact that it's more than a decade old does little to draw new fans. A shame really. Despite its flaws, it really is a great series.

  4. #4
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    I usually like it when reality and fiction get blended together like that. And also how the characters' abilities are extraordinary yet not blatantly supernatural as in Dragonball (flying, shooting energy beams, etc.) for example. Stories like this are one of the best ways for young people to get interested in history in my opinion. I understand that many teenagers today have a certain aversion to the subject while it is one of the most important ones of all.

  5. #5
    Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 39 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    I usually like it when reality and fiction get blended together like that. And also how the characters' abilities are extraordinary yet not blatantly supernatural as in Dragonball (flying, shooting energy beams, etc.) for example.
    Haha yeah, Dragonball Z was definitely an overkill. It's never really caught my interest before. I'd prefer some logic behind their abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Stories like this are one of the best ways for young people to get interested in history in my opinion. I understand that many teenagers today have a certain aversion to the subject while it is one of the most important ones of all.
    You're spot on there. It was only through the Rurouni Kenshin series that I began avidly reading up on Japanese history. Many people seem to think that because history is no longer valid to us today, it's not important and therefore not necessary to learn about. I'll admit that I used to hold that viewpoint as well, until I studied World War I intensively in my modern history course. I'm now a fan of all WWI-related films and novels. "War on the Western Front" is currently on my top films/novels list. The details are truly fascinating. I'm a little miffed that my course doesn't cover WWII as well, but I'll get to that somehow.

    Speaking of which, I have yet to see that film, The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise. I've been meaning to see it for awhile now, but for some reason, having a caucasian lead in a samurai film is a little unappealing.

  6. #6
    Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Goleta, CA
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel View Post
    You're spot on there. It was only through the Rurouni Kenshin series that I began avidly reading up on Japanese history. Many people seem to think that because history is no longer valid to us today, it's not important and therefore not necessary to learn about. I'll admit that I used to hold that viewpoint as well, until I studied World War I intensively in my modern history course. I'm now a fan of all WWI-related films and novels. "War on the Western Front" is currently on my top films/novels list. The details are truly fascinating. I'm a little miffed that my course doesn't cover WWII as well, but I'll get to that somehow.

    Speaking of which, I have yet to see that film, The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise. I've been meaning to see it for awhile now, but for some reason, having a caucasian lead in a samurai film is a little unappealing.
    I am a history major at my college and I am taking world history, and so far all I am learning about is more western than eastern civilizations, this is a shame because their is more history out their to learn about in the world than european history. but it is refreshing to see that I am not the only one who seeks more about history than what is in the textbook. I watched the anime and enjoyed (I saw it on Toonami and it ended at the end of the Kyoto arc.) what I had seen, but the Manga was so much better, because it got right to the point, it did not have a beach scene (bikini's, etc.)or any fillerific arc's, it just answers the questions and why Sanosuke had to leave on his one path (not to mention to get out of dodge as that saying goes), but if I had to choose between the two, I will pick the manga over the anime because it keeps the momentum of the story to an end and end's just right.

    ps. The Last Samurai is a good movie, however the title of the movie can be misleading, which is why when you watch the movie you think why is Tom Cruise the "last samurai", so if you do watch it forget about the title, otherwise you will think that it is little big horn, japanese style.

  7. #7
    Wilde Beast GiG Racer Champion EmoNightmareRose may be famous one day EmoNightmareRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohtori Academy
    Posts
    693
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 51 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    i actually overall perfer the manga, because it gives off more of a historical feel. it's more detailed, easier to comprehend..
    the anime was harder to understand, it takes longer to read it all.

  8. #8
    Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley, California
    Posts
    5,477
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 172 Times in 147 Posts

    Re: Rurouni Kenshin (anime vs manga ending)

    Grumble Grumble Grumble

    To quote the Forum Rules...
    Inactive threads, which have not been posted in for 1 month or more, should not be revived. They are considered dead.
    Please read the Forum Rules located here... Anime Online - FAQ: GENERAL RULES:

    Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Rurouni Kenshin
    By full blooded virgen 666 in forum Anime
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2008, 05:47 AM
  2. Rurouni Kenshin
    By Caseal in forum Anime
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov 08, 2006, 04:12 AM
  3. rurouni kenshin
    By ROCKANIME2007 in forum Anime
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 07, 2006, 01:54 PM
  4. Rurouni Kenshin
    By bilysmallz in forum Spoiler Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 31, 2006, 06:45 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 03, 2006, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts